2021+ Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2021 Ford Bronco!

Is it true?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:45 AM
2Door
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Christian's1988Ford
I can see why Bronco fans would be sad to see the Bronco revived as a 4 door SUV, and not as serious an off-roader as it was at one time. But everyone's forgetting that both the Bronco and Wrangler (CJ series) were only marketed to off-roaders by the early '80s, they were strictly small work trucks (with light trail use) for decades before that. If the Bronco becomes what it looks like it will, it should be a small, very off-road capable (as far as OEM goes) SUV. How is that any worse than a factory first gen Bronco?

The only serious off-road Broncos I've seen are heavily modded; has it ever been as off-road capable as modern AWD SUV straight off the dealer lot? The Bronco has been, at a maximum, just about exactly as capable as a shortened F150. The more iconic 1st gen was far wimpier, as is only known as a tough truck because of the guys who modded them.

My point is: No matter what the next Bronco ends up being, the fact that Ford says it will be specifically off-road capable speaks volumes, as none other generation has been before. I'm sure that if the hardcore Bronco fans don't accept it, it will find its own enthusiast group.
The Bronco was always marketed towards the outdoorsy crowd...

And Ironically, the Jeep was originally marketed towards the utilitarian market...

It was into the 60's and 70's that Jeeps started to gain traction as an offroad platform, and they ran with it. They were never marketed as work vehicles in that era, they took on vehicles like the Landrover, FJ40 and Bronco directly.

To answer your "capability" question; Absolutely yes. Depends, though, on your definition of "capable". The EB's had solid, half ton axles (Dana 44 front and a 9" rear), a v8 option... but most importantly, no plastic, good clearances under the rockers, full frame and metal bumpers.

That Everest is comparable to a Cherokee. For this sake, I have a good grasp on this... My younger brother bought a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk awhile ago. The Trailhawk is the "offroad" model. I have seat time in both. My Jeep has quirks...it's stiff (body on frame) kind of high, the transmission is from a truck whereas his is comfortable, low, drives wonderfully...on road...On paper, it does well (approach angle, departure angle, etc) but, last year, I did get to see one of those models on a club trail run... and it got hammered. Bad. It was something that a stock Wrangler wouldn't have too much issue with, but he crunched the rockers, dinged up the plastic bumpers, etc. The toughness wasn't there.

And I keep referencing my own Jeep, so I'll drop a picture of what mine sees when I wheel it;

[IMG][/IMG]

That's a basic suspension lift. As in, I put it all together in a weekend. That Everest probably can't be lifted, and if it can, it would be expensive. The difference between the articulation of mine and the Everest is what makes mine more capable.

I guess I'm hoping for a Wrangler fighter out of the new Bronco, but I'm not holding any false pretenses about having a modern EB. Solid axles, a new Coyote 5.0 and a manual transmission would have me running, though...

Old 02-02-2017, 09:55 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
The Everest surely does look quite capable but I wouldn't buy it. It looks like a typical Hyundai and anything else that Ford builds. The styling isn't inspiring to me.
It is possible that the looks will end up quite different. GM put a plastic macho costume on the Tahoe and got the Hummer H2... But if Ford wants to sell in any kind of volume, they will have to stay aerodynamic to keep the fuel economy up. Even the next gen Wrangler is supposed to have a raked windshield.

I thought the Hummer H2 and H3 were kind of gross and fake plastic armor doesn't do much for me

George

Old 05-06-2017, 03:46 PM
ruddy
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can go 2 or 4 door, but it has to have a flat roof with a modernized version of a box look. Body on frame too.
I had a 1989 Bronco II and always liked it's rounded square look!