2019 - 2023 Ranger Everything about the new 2019-2023 Ford Ranger.

It's coming BACK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 03:20 PM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i think the rangers made overseas will be nothing like we are going to get here...those rangers are practically f150s...i hope they will be much smaller and CHEAP...also there wont be a v8 option

so theoretically they can be available january 2018...does anyone know when they plan to start making them?

Old 01-22-2017, 03:48 PM
nova801428
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I think they should also offer a standard cab option. No one offers a standard cab midsize truck.

How do you know there won't be a v8 option? Most likely not but we can dream. I'd much prefer a diesel anyway

Old 01-22-2017, 04:14 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I'm 100% convinced that the Ranger will compete in size and pricing with the 7/8th sized GM twins. Ford figured out that these trucks are beginning to steal the show.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:05 AM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm 100% convinced that the Ranger will compete in size and pricing with the 7/8th sized GM twins. Ford figured out that these trucks are beginning to steal the show.
Definitely. Ford is not going to invest the money on a smaller true compact pickup. They have already said several times it will be the global platform. I do think had they updated the old body style with fuel efficient engines to where it made sense to buy one for mpg vs a full size, it would have been profitable to keep and would have stayed successful sales wise. Of course, that's assuming they could have modified it cheaply over the years to meet government safety standards. The old Ranger with todays 2.0 EcoBoost and a 5 spd manual or updated auto would have been able to achieve around 30mpg in 2wd and even 26mpg or so in 4wd and people would have bought them. This 2019 global one NEEDS a 2.7 Eco option!! PLEASE FORD!!!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:12 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost
The old Ranger with todays 2.0 EcoBoost and a 5 spd manual or updated auto would have been able to achieve around 30mpg in 2wd and even 26mpg or so in 4wd and people would have bought them. This 2019 global one NEEDS a 2.7 Eco option!! PLEASE FORD!!!
I don't think so. The FWD Escape is only rated for 29 MPG with the 2.0L Eco, which is worse than the 2.5L N/A. None of the EcoBoost engines are as efficient as their N/A cousins, but of course they make lots more power. I think it's fairly certain we'll see EcoBoost options just like nearly every other vehicle Ford sells in the U.S..

I would guess the new 2.3L EcoBoost at 280/310 would be the top-line engine offering for regular models, and perhaps a 2.7L EB for a "Sport" model.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The 'leaker' on Reddit claims there will be a Raptor-style edition, but it won't be nearly as capable in the same way as the Raptor. I would guess it's just a light off-road edition (maybe just a trim package like FX4 was for 11th and 12th gen F150s), possibly in the new Ford Performance family.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:47 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few years ago, Ford said if it reintroduced a Ranger in the U.S. market it would have to be considerably smaller, cheaper and get like 20% better fuel economy than the F-150 or it wouldn't make any sense to produce and take sales from it's crown jewel 1/2 ton. With Silverado and Sierra sales down in 2016 vs 2015 (4.3% & 1.1%) and Tacoma sales up 6.7%, it would appear that is exactly what is happening at GM. The small trucks aren't denting Tacoma's armor, but are hurting their own full size sales. Now with Ford's own Raj Nair going on record saying the Bronco will be between the size of the original and the Bronco II, could it be Ford is going to offer a compact truck again and not a mid size? They'd have the market to themselves as Nissan's aging Frontier is the closest thing to compact and even it will be updated to a true mid size before the Ranger comes out. A truck dimensional the size of the old Ranger, with a stretched Supercab ( the sideways seats wouldn't meet safety standards) that has forward facing seats, and a Ranger Supercrew would be nice. Keep the weight down and a 2.3 EcoBoost would probably provide good performance and MPG. Although I still want 2.7 EcoBoost. :-)

Old 01-28-2017, 11:27 AM
Caleb H
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
The only issue with the adding the diesel option is the whole US DEF thing. Other countries can just have the diesel, but we need those fancy and expensive exhaust systems now. I'm not saying they won't do it; Chrysler/Fiat/Ram/Whatever-they're-called has certainly been selling the newer small diesel Jeeps and 1500s, and Ford already announced the diesel F150. I'm just bringing up the emissions stuff that we have to deal with that other countries that the global platform is sold on do not. Take the full-size Transit, for example. In Europe, they are all diesel (no gas option) and all six-speed manual (no auto option). In the US, they are mostly gas (you can get the diesel) and all auto (no manual option). I'm excited for the new Ranger, and think they may even add a diesel... but it won't be as exciting as they are overseas.

In that vein, I really really really hope they put a stick shift in it. But, like the Transit, they probably will not.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Caleb H
I'm just bringing up the emissions stuff that we have to deal with that other countries that the global platform is sold on do not.
That's not accurate, Europe has been using SCR and DPFs for years. Was searching for exact data points, so I pulled a few random owner's guides from Ford UK's website. The 2009 Focus has a DPF, as does the 2011 Ranger. The 2014 Transit has a DPF and SCR aftertreatment, but it doesn't look like the Ranger got SCR until 2017 model year.

Went over to the BMW website, and at least for 2015 all of their diesel models sold in the European market have a DPF and SCR aftertreatment.

Emissions controls aren't exclusive to the U.S. auto market.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:18 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would expect the engine choices to be limted to Ecoboost 4 cylinders, maybe a small diesel, and potentially even a hybrid to meet pending fuel economy regulations. Considering market trends, don't expect a manual transmission; at least not at first. I recently heard from a Ford sales rep that the Ranger may even be uni-body to reduce weight, and increase fuel economy.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 PM
14SD4Jeffro
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
...... may even be uni-body to reduce weight, and increase fuel economy.
I heard this some time in the past as well:

My 16 year old daughter, who is a sworn fan is excited about the return of the Ranger..but when the unibody design was discussed, she wonders what's the point of having a truck if it doesn't have the standard truck-style frame...will a unibody design still have a comparable weight capacity?

Old 01-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 14SD4Jeffro
I heard this some time in the past as well:

My 16 year old daughter, who is a sworn fan is excited about the return of the Ranger..but when the unibody design was discussed, she wonders what's the point of having a truck if it doesn't have the standard truck-style frame...will a unibody design still have a comparable weight capacity?
You should tell your daughter that it's already been revealed that the Ranger will be a body-on-frame design.

Not that it matters...my unibody Transit-350 has a 9,000 lb GVWR, and a 2,747 lb payload. Heck...the unibody Honda Ridgeline has a 5,700 lb GVWR, which is 500 lbs more than the old body-on-frame Ranger was ever rated for. You don't need a traditional frame to handle high GVWRs.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:09 AM
14SD4Jeffro
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
You should tell your daughter that it's already been revealed that the Ranger will be a body-on-frame design.

Not that it matters...my unibody Transit-350 has a 9,000 lb GVWR, and a 2,747 lb payload. Heck...the unibody Honda Ridgeline has a 5,700 lb GVWR, which is 500 lbs more than the old body-on-frame Ranger was ever rated for. You don't need a traditional frame to handle high GVWRs.
thanks! she's happy now..and when she's happy, I'm happy

Old 01-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not that I'm refuting your information or trying to start an argument, but I would simply like to know what your source of information is about the next Ranger being on a full frame? Of course no one ever said salespeople are the most reliable sources anyway

Old 01-30-2017, 12:42 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
Not that I'm refuting your information or trying to start an argument, but I would simply like to know what your source of information is about the next Ranger being on a full frame? Of course no one ever said salespeople are the most reliable sources anyway
It's been part of most of the communication from Ford about this, just like the Bronco. Here are some links to check out:

2020 Ford Bronco Will Be Body-On-Frame, To Share Platform With 2019 Ford Ranger - autoevolution

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
Our Ranger will use the same body-on-frame construction as the truck sold elsewhere in the world. Like GM’s mid-sizers, it’s only slightly smaller than its big brother; the crew cab is actually longer than a base F-150. But GM has proved that even big small trucks can sell without cannibalizing sales from the full-size lineup.
2019 Ford Ranger: 25 Cars Worth Waiting For ? Feature ? Car and Driver

Quick Reply: It's coming BACK!!!