Sponsored by:

Electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:32 AM
Joe Red
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical gremlins

Hello all, I have a dilemma on my hands. After having #4 plug blowout coming home from holiday (2000 v10 Excursion) and repairing that in sub zero windchills (Ex doesn't fit in my garage bays) I now have a new issue. First off, my truck had starting issues immediately after I repaired the plug. The battery was old and terminals were corroded, so I cut the wires back, put on new ends and a new battery. That was only about 2 weeks ago. Truck started and ran great since. Today, I come outside and my key fob will not unlock the doors. I think to myself "eh, fob battery must be dead". I walk up and stick my key in the door and notice my radio is on...odd. I open the door and my blower motor is running. Even more odd...especially since the dial is on the "off" position. I put the key in and it fires right up. The radio comes back on and blower shuts off. I load the kids up, put it in gear and radio goes silent, and OD light starts blinking. Truck is driving fine, just locked out of 4th. I drove about 4 miles. Finally, irritated enough to risk shutting it off and restarting it. As I'm stopping, my speedo drops from 45ish to 0 the jumps back to accurate. I put it in park and ta-daa, radio comes back on, OD light stops blinking. Hmm. So I put it in gear again and just lose radio. Everything else is working, windows, heater, defrost, lights. Just a silent radio, yet I hear slight interference in my speakers, so I know they're getting power. I get to work and the radio only has volume in P and N. Checked ECM for codes, one pending fault for speed sensor (expected due to how it dropped and recovered). Come back out on break and now it's a mess. Key is in my pocket, ignition off. No fob (the fob started working once I got to work). The clock is flickering on the radio, blower is running, but in "off" position, theft light is blinking fast, "OD" light on shifter dimly glowing, not on glowing, just faintly lit and truck cranks but wont start. I'm chalking this up to a leaky windsheild as today is the first day its rained since I bought the truck, but all winter it's been fine. Where should I look for this leak, as I'm only seeing my wet footprints on the floor and a little dampness on the fuse cover? Are these trucks known for leaky windows (like most other fords...lol)? Thanks

Old 01-18-2017, 03:53 AM
ford_model'a'
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a similar leak on my 2000 7.3 at the fuse box. I found it was due to the failure of the self leveling seam sealer where the body panels are welded together on the roof. I did have a few electrical scares but they cleared up when I fix the roof leak.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Are these trucks known for leaky windows (like most other fords...lol)?
Yes.

Your truck has LWS - Leaky Windshield syndrome.

Water is in the fusebox and/or GEM module and is cross-circuiting power feeds. you need to get the truck out of the rain and get the cabin dried out quickly so that the water doesn't have time to produce corrosion.

Disconnect the battery in the mean time.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:35 AM
2112RUSH
New User
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
My DIY story

Check out this thread I just posted.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ater-leak.html