6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Replacing Intercooler Boots On 6.0. OEM or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:17 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Replacing Intercooler Boots On 6.0. OEM or Aftermarket?

I've been getting some oil dripping from the intercooler boots and decided its time to replace them. I've decided to upgrade the plastic intercooler tube while I'm at it. Looking for suggestions.

Question is three fold

1. Should I replace the boots with OEM and get the replacement upgraded metal tube and boots from Ford?

I've read a lot about the factory boots eventually failing because of the silicone used is not impervious to oil and eventually get soaked (Like Mine Are), That being said I hate to replace a part knowing it will need to be replaced again in the future. I plan on keeping this truck.

2. I've found a lot of other aftermarket options like Sinister, Banks, Rudy's, AFE and S&B that are complete kits with tubes, clamps, boots and manifold elbow. The Rudy's kit is by far the cheapest option and prices go up from their. I don't mind spending but don't want to overkill. Any advice, real world opinions? The biggest complaint I've read with the Sinister and Rudy's is the quality of the clamps? This brings me t my last question.

3. Should I replace the boot clamps when replacing the boots? Should I use OEM or is their and aftermarket clamp that is better than OEM?

I want to repair and or replace once and do it right. I don't want to create issues for myself like having the intercooler tubes popping off while on a trip. At the same time if I can add a little bling and improve cool air flow that would be a plus as I do tow a lot.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:56 AM
packagerjr
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I have the Riffraff boots and clamps. I have had good experience out of them to date. I only blew off the bottom hot side boot one time, and I believe I just didn't tighten it enough, as it happened on the first real boosted run after some work to try to improve turbo-to-pipe boot alignment. I've had them for a year and probably 8k miles.

I don't know if it's a boot issue or not, but I've been unable to achieve a top boot alignment to the intercooler pipe I'm satisfied with. No matter what I've tried to date, I cannot get the intercooler pipe to enter the top boot square. I've rotated the top boot to achieve the best squareness with the pipe, so I've called it good. I have not had an issue with that connection.

One thing I did find is that (due to lack of attention) my first top boot install on the turbo elbow resulted in a clamping force along the raised diameter of the elbow. I've since repositioned the clamp (which is about 3/4" wide) so that the full width of the clamp sits on the turbo side of this raised lip. IIRC, the edge of the clamp lines up with the edge of the boot. I don't feel oily residue on the bottom side of the turbo elbow, although I still have an oil leak somewhere in the valley I'm chasing. I believe that is another matter.

I still have the plastic cold air side tube so I can't comment there.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:12 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by packagerjr
I have the Riffraff boots and clamps. I have had good experience out of them to date. I only blew off the bottom hot side boot one time, and I believe I just didn't tighten it enough, as it happened on the first real boosted run after some work to try to improve turbo-to-pipe boot alignment. I've had them for a year and probably 8k miles.

I don't know if it's a boot issue or not, but I've been unable to achieve a top boot alignment to the intercooler pipe I'm satisfied with. No matter what I've tried to date, I cannot get the intercooler pipe to enter the top boot square. I've rotated the top boot to achieve the best squareness with the pipe, so I've called it good. I have not had an issue with that connection.

One thing I did find is that (due to lack of attention) my first top boot install on the turbo elbow resulted in a clamping force along the raised diameter of the elbow. I've since repositioned the clamp (which is about 3/4" wide) so that the full width of the clamp sits on the turbo side of this raised lip. IIRC, the edge of the clamp lines up with the edge of the boot. I don't feel oily residue on the bottom side of the turbo elbow, although I still have an oil leak somewhere in the valley I'm chasing. I believe that is another matter.

I still have the plastic cold air side tube so I can't comment there.
Thanks for the response I will be adding the Riffraff to my list of consideration. Did you reuse the OEM clamps or get the Riffraff ones?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:11 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Riff Raff boots and clamps, OEM metal pipe.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:25 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Riff Raff boots and clamps, OEM metal pipe.
Do you suggest changing the clamps when changing the boots or is that overkill? I have the OEM now.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:31 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If they are good, then no. The clamps they sell are wider, better holding. I clean mine with brake cleaner, boot and tube. Then apply hairspray and put them back together, seems to prevent blow-offs pretty well.

Oil is coming from the CCV, won't hurt the motor, does kill boots. You could even put two clamps in each place.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:49 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by WatsonR
If they are good, then no. The clamps they sell are wider, better holding. I clean mine with brake cleaner, boot and tube. Then apply hairspray and put them back together, seems to prevent blow-offs pretty well.

Oil is coming from the CCV, won't hurt the motor, does kill boots. You could even put two clamps in each place.
Thanks for the tips, I'm leaning towards ordering the Riffraff boots and OEM metal cold side CAC tube with Riffraff boots and clamps. I'm hoping this will be a one time upgrade and the tubes stay put.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:08 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently had a boot crack so I went ahead and ordered the sinister kit, new boots and pipes, and haven't had an issue yet. Building 30lbs of boost and no pop offs or anything....

plus I liked the way it looked with the color matching my coolant filter hoses, even though it didn't match the hose I used for a coolant pressure gauge...oh well

Heres my cracked boot
Name:  IMG_0069_zpsczkeje1c.jpg
Views: 11114
Size:  182.5 KB

heres the new kit
Name:  IMG_0219_zpsthbb3l6m.jpg
Views: 11815
Size:  236.4 KB

Old 01-17-2017, 12:44 PM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced my boots and clamps with the RiffRaff stuff and I used the OEM metal tube.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:10 PM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
I do like the looks of the Sinister kit but I'm leaning towards the hot side Riffraff boots and OEM metal cold side pipe. I've decided to think it over a bit and wait for more opinions to base my decision on. By the time I get the OEM tube and new Riffraff boots its nearly twice the cost of the Sinister or Rudy's kit so I don't want to jump into it. Thanks for the responses

Old 01-18-2017, 12:14 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
I've had good results with the mishimoto kit, lifetime warranty on the boots, just to throw another option out there.

Honestly I think pretty much all the aftermarket options use a sturdier boot than OEM so it's hard to go wrong whatever you choose.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:30 PM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by seijirou
I've had good results with the mishimoto kit, lifetime warranty on the boots, just to throw another option out there.

Honestly I think pretty much all the aftermarket options use a sturdier boot than OEM so it's hard to go wrong whatever you choose.
Yes the factory boots are pretty flimsy for sure! If you do t mind me asking how much was the Mishimito kit?

Old 01-18-2017, 12:32 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxOut
Yes the factory boots are pretty flimsy for sure! If you do t mind me asking how much was the Mishimito kit?
Looks like after shipping and tax I paid just shy of $400.

Right now it's on Amazon for $60 less starting price than I paid so I expect you'd be around $340 today. EDIT: And it's a friggin amazon prime item now so no shipping if you've got prime. sonofabitch!! lol.

MMICP-F2D-03BK

Old 01-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
I use the Banks boots and metal tubes. The Banks hump hoses are very thick, multi layered, internally reinforced, and I especially like that they don't have any aftermarket logos imprinted on them.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:20 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found an OEM metal tube at the junkyard for $37 otd. When I buy my boots and clamps, they will be Riff Raff. They are a sponsor here and have great customer service and a top quality product. Which is not what I've heard about a couple of the options listed previously.
Support our sponsors!

Quick Reply: Replacing Intercooler Boots On 6.0. OEM or Aftermarket?