Tow behind vs 5th wheel

Old 01-27-2017, 08:59 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
remember with a 5th wheel you can get a hidden hitch system like the current ford factory prep that has been offered for several years now.

When the hitch is removed your entire bed is available for that sheet rock again.
is that Ford one available. for a Used Ford Truck? or only if from factory?

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
you can get the same prep kit directly from Reese.

Reese makes ones for older version trucks as well. I had a Reese Signature Series for my 08.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
you can get the same prep kit directly from Reese.

Reese makes ones for older version trucks as well. I had a Reese Signature Series for my 08.

I will look into them.. etrailer here I come
they are good for some stuff and installation directions...

Old 01-27-2017, 10:31 AM
acecase
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remember with a 5th wheel you can get a hidden hitch system like the current ford factory prep that has been offered for several years now.

When the hitch is removed your entire bed is available for that sheet rock again.
Very true. But that hitch is heavy. And my truck is not low. But you are right. You can leave it hanging on your camper and pull out from. Under it.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
or use a cherry picker to lift it out of the bed.

I can carry mine so I just lift it and take it the tailgate on put it on a cart that is the same height as the tailgate.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:35 PM
acecase
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That works!

I pull a lever, flip a ball and drop a magnetic cover!

Old 01-27-2017, 01:06 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Every time I read the posts on the need for a flat bed I think to myself I better stop hauling sheet rock and all the construction stuff I haul with my old rails in place.

Steve

Old 01-27-2017, 01:27 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rezco
Hi Guys!

My wife and went out yesterday to look at some used travel trailers. We found a nice 28' used one. Anyways after looking at the used travel trailers, we then looked at some used 5th wheels of same length and kind of like them better.

My question is amusing we would buy one or the other at 28ft, what are the pro's and con's vs the travel trailer and 5th wheel?

My truck will be a 2012 or newer F-250 4X4 Crew cab short bed set up with tow package with a 6.2L under the hood with the 6 speed auto trans.

I have towed lots of trailers before but not a 5th wheel. I'm thinking the 5th wheel would tow easier but with more expense (5th wheel hitch) to set the truck up for it. Your input is much appreciated!

I have two travel trailers, one fifth wheel, and two boats. My truck, the same style you want, is 20 feet long bumper to bumper. The larger TT is 28 feet long overall, the fifth wheel is 28 feet long, and the larger boat is 30 feet long overall.
As far as driving down the road or highway, I don't see any difference between any of them. They roll along behind the truck exactly the same way. I have never experienced sway with any of them and passing tractor trailers have little to no effect.
They all turn the same. If you don't turn wide on a right turn, they will all take out the sign post on the corner.
Backing may be a little different, but not by enough to base a purchase on.
Articulation - articulation? Yes. If you leave the beaten path, you are going to encounter uneven surfaces. You may not even be on an actual road. At those times when the truck pitches left and the trailer pitches right, the bumper pull is going to allow a greater angular difference between the truck and trailer. The fifth wheel is very likely to make contact with the bed of the truck damaging both.
If you are one of those that never leaves the pavement, then this is pretty much a non-issue.
Hitching up - I have the tow package and the camper prep package and air bags. I've replaced the OEM class IV hitch with a Curt class V 2" hitch. This means that I don't have to mess with weight distribution on any of my rigs. However, be aware that the 2012 F250 squats excessively under light load. Ford issued a TSB on this explaining how to correct it at the customer's expense. Parts alone total up over $2000.00. I went with air bags for a fraction of that.
Fivers almost always provide more storage space than TTs while TTs have a lower profile (cross winds and bridges).
Otherwise it comes down to personal preference. If you like the fiver better, then get the fiver, otherwise you'll spend all your camping time wishing you had.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Every time I read the posts on the need for a flat bed I think to myself I better stop hauling sheet rock and all the construction stuff I haul with my old rails in place.

Steve

Steve,

Sliding sheets of plywood or sheetrock in on top of the rails isn't too bad, as long as you're sliding them in one at a time.

Try sliding a 1400 lb gunsafe into the bed of your truck with those rails and get back to me. Or a ton of seed on a pallet (or 2 pallets). Or better yet, haul 2 tons of gravel, dirt or sand, and then go ahead and put that hitch back in. Fun times, digging all that crap out of the rails. I don't miss my above bed rails. At. All.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:11 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Just a matter of preference and price. I have a sheet of cheap 1/2 plywood I throw in. Haven't done sand. Have done dirt and gravel. Haven't done it often. Threw a tarp down when I did. How heavy is that bad boy again?

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from doing anything. Just offering a different thought.

Steve

Old 01-29-2017, 05:54 PM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as cutting the corner when pulling a trailer, a bumper-pull trailer does NOT track into the corner, and over the curb AS MUCH as either a fifth-wheel or a gooseneck trailer if both types of trailers have their axles the same distance behind the hitch-point.

A bumper-pull trailer is following a point further back on the tow-vehicle, and if you look at the tire tracks, (easy to do on wet/snowy/dirt roads) you will see the trailer tires of a bumper-pull are much closer to the tow vehicle rear tire tracks, than a similar fifth-wheel/gooseneck. Drivers with a fifth-wheel/gooseneck can compensate for this by driving further into the intersection before turning, but sometimes there is oncoming traffic, or other obstacles to limit this. On a tighter curve on the highway, drivers will crowd the centerline/lane divider more, to keep the trailer tires from getting onto the shoulder of the road, or into the lane next to them.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
My 2 cents-For your first trailer go used as you will most likely find things you like and dislike and can upgrade. Plus the cost savings can be a lot. We went with the tag as we take our Weber, bikes etc that I keep in the truck bed plus having a truck cap I was not going to take it on and off every time we go camping. My truck is also my daily driver. Our current Jayco 32 is our second camper. After visiting a few dealers we decided on this camper. Went to one more smaller local dealer and found the same camper, one year old that was traded for about 1/3 less than the new.