1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On Board Air Location

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:58 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On Board Air Location

16' F350 Diesel 4x4.
I need to install a Viair Compressor and a 2.5 Gallon Tank. We'll be carrying a Lance Truck Camper so inside my bed space is limited only to the bed sides.
Is there a "best" place to install the pair ? I've read where many run the
Air-Inlet filter inside the cab. Usually behind the rear seat.
I'm open to your suggestions.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:02 PM
JoeyCap
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out the Kleinn air kit if you haven't already bought your compressor and tank. It has brackets to mount to the frame under the rear doors. I bought the kit with the air horns and I've been very happy with it.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:39 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Originally Posted by JoeyCap
Check out the Kleinn air kit if you haven't already bought your compressor and tank. It has brackets to mount to the frame under the rear doors. I bought the kit with the air horns and I've been very happy with it.
I've already bought the Viair system but I'll check Kleinn Air for the ideas.
Thanks.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:08 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FTE member EpicCowlick installed a Viair system on his previous truck under the passengers side on the frame rail. Pretty up and outta the way their.

He made a video of his install, maybe you can have a look and see if it would be of help in mounting yours and and of course some installation ideas

Old 01-16-2017, 07:32 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i made a mounting bracket, it replaces the front tie hooks. I made a spot in the brackets so I can still use as tie downs. It stay under my bed cover so no need to relocate the intake filter. Unless you have it in an area that will see water splashing you can direct mount the filter

Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by projectnitemare

i made a mounting bracket, it replaces the front tie hooks. I made a spot in the brackets so I can still use as tie downs. It stay under my bed cover so no need to relocate the intake filter. Unless you have it in an area that will see water splashing you can direct mount the filter
That's pretty slick, dont see many people thinking of this spot

Old 01-16-2017, 07:51 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Inside the Bed would be my first choice, but I'll be carrying a Slide-In Lance camper

Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
I am installing a compressor right now. Location is a pain on a diesel. I have decided to get a piece of 18 gauge sheet metal and bolt it to the body rails under the cab. Then bolt the compressor to that. As for the tank I dont have one but you may be able to mount it by the spare tire. I will install my compressor on the driver side because the wiring isn't long enough to reach the gauge. Nothing easy on this truck. Trying to use wire loom to keep the under dash neat. I guess I need to take some photos.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:39 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Originally Posted by The Bone
I am installing a compressor right now. Location is a pain on a diesel. I have decided to get a piece of 18 gauge sheet metal and bolt it to the body rails under the cab. Then bolt the compressor to that. As for the tank I dont have one but you may be able to mount it by the spare tire. I will install my compressor on the driver side because the wiring isn't long enough to reach the gauge. Nothing easy on this truck. Trying to use wire loom to keep the under dash neat. I guess I need to take some photos.
I agree there's no (great) place.
Several on-line videos showed installers drilling the necessary installation/mounting holes in the frame rails. I'm not sure thats to good of an idea.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:47 PM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm extremely jealous of those who could install that particular equipment on the frame rails under the cab. Around here (New England) it might last a summer, but it would total junk after one winter!

Old 01-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
to a frame rail.. cover with hard plastic (Plexiglass) and RV roof sealer. even Lexan... both can be bent with a little heat.. even a cooking stove.

more work and cost.. should last many years.. and will stay dry.
but when you have little room. use what might be under... Cab,bed, even behind bumpers.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My first choice was under the truck being when I bought the compressor I had a 14 6.2L, cclb, there was a lot of room. Like mentioned, it would have been in an enclosure to protect it from the elements, especially if you're in the north. Under a diesel there is literally no room. Most of the kits you will see for horns and compressors will drop the spare and put all that stuff in its place. Is this a unit you want perminantly mounted? If not will your slide in allow it to be put on a receiver mount or something similar, could make a step/mounting bracket. If you're towing too that rule out that possibly. My setup is removable, the brackets I made replace the tie down hooks and the square tube easily bolts to it. Straight up mounting a compressor on the fame, I'd say the passenger side has the most room if you go that route.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:31 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
I started my install yesterday. Went to orchard supply to get a piece of flat steal 6x24. Cut it down to 20 inches than I laid out the holes to mount it under the cab. I then needed to get some rivet nuts to insert into the holes for threads so I can bolt my compressor under the cab. There was no way I wanted to drill into the frame. The frame is to thick to even try. I had to remove the rear seat to install the filter that way there is no way for dirt, dust or water to get into the filter. There was also a relay that needed to be no more than 3 feet from the compressor. so killed another bird. All these restrictions make it difficult to install. I have to paint the metal today because I don't want it to rust under the truck. Running the wires under the dash will be the hardest part of the install. I put everything in wire loom to keep it looking nice under the dash. You have to install the pump first than run the hoses and wires. I did take some photos but I want to finish the install first.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:55 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
What do you think about putting the Compressor in a Plastic Battery Box under the truck. Just make sure it's vented and has some sort of drain so it won't sit in rain/snow/mud ?

Old 01-20-2017, 06:53 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
I have been thinking about that also. The compressor is made for getting wet but not submerged in a lake. It will get hot so venting would be needed. If i lived in the snow I would cover it but in the summer i would take the cover off.

I just painted my mounting plate yesterday. Raining today crap. Need a whole day of no rain so i can run the wiring. No telling how long that will take. When I get done I will post up some photos.