Sponsored by: Moser

1977 F250 custom 4X4 7.3 IDI / 5 speed swap / build

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More rad core support chopping

I cut the radiator opening a little wider to match the radiator core. I folded it back so I could put some j nuts on it and mount the radiator to it.

Attached Images   
Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Fan shroud

The stock fan shroud from the diesel was not right so I cut it all up and flipped it around. I will fiberglass it later once everything is fitted. To line up the fan with the Shroud I needed to move the engine forward about an inch so I had to cut the crossmember some or for the oil pan to clear. This also allowed me to use the stock length front and rear drive lines.

Attached Images        
Old 01-31-2017, 09:00 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Adding in a midship fuel tank

The midship tank from the 1988 F350 fit right in. The filler will go closer to the rear fender well than the factory door. So anyone that knows will spot it right away. I will weld it in a little later.

Attached Images         
Old 01-31-2017, 09:11 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Cutting plates for the motor mounts

I started cutting the plates for the motor mounts. I tacked them in I will finish weld after the engine is back out. Also did the transfer case mount while I was there.
Found a praying mantis on the frame! It's supposed to be good luck so I didn't disturb it!

Attached Images           
Old 01-31-2017, 09:20 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
A/C dash swap

Time to swap the dash out. I did have a little bit of welding to do on the AC Dash but not nearly as much work as the factory Dash would have needed.

Attached Images      
Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Adding in grab handles

I put in some grab handles on the pillars. I got them from a 98 f150. I did have to adjust the bends on the mounts as well as cut the mounts shorter by the windshield. I just used self tapping screws so far so good.

Attached Images      
Old 01-31-2017, 09:43 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Shifters

I did have to cut the transmission tunnel cover a little bit for the shifters. Using the stock shifter on the 5-speed.

For the twin stick on the np205 I used to the stock shifter and then made another shifter out of a brake pedal from a 52 Dodge project I had leftover and the original 4 speed shifter.
I did have to shorten the mounting perch to clear the transmission tunnel. In shortening it I had to drill and tap the hole deeper luckily there was enough there to do it without going through the case.

Attached Images        
Old 02-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Dude... This build is deadly.

I have no idea why more haven't subscribed/followed along. You're making some very serious progress in short time. Your progress is blowing the doors off of a lot of other threads, including mine.

Great pics you're posting too!

Love the TMR custom cut-outs. I purchased my rear disc flange brackets from them and they worked great.

I take it you're in Canada/Ontario somewhere?

Keep it up!

Old 02-01-2017, 07:22 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Aaron-71 thank you!
As for fast progress the truck is already built and already my daily driver. It was about a 2 year process so I wasn't actually blowing anyone's doors off. I kept saying I was going to start an account and do a build thread and then got into a position where time really wasn't there because I drug my feet too long in the beginning and had to move so the crunch was on I did a lot of this work in less than six months... so this is really the re cap of how it went down. I post when I have time & when I have data haha.
I used this forum alot during the Build and wanted to give back some info to anyone else building.

The only thing I have gotten from TMR Customs are those gussets but they are of good quality I would imagine everything else they make is just as awesome.

I am in the US Roseburg Oregon. Thanks on the pics I took them all the while thinking about a build thread so I tried to be detailed. Also why it's burning through my data.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:19 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Heater control / horns

Scored a heater control with fuel tank selector in the Wrecking yard. Also the air horns from eBay showed up. There is onboard air so air horns are a must...

Attached Images   
Old 02-03-2017, 08:46 AM
tabascom16
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I sure hope you are going to plate over the top of the cross member you hacked out for the engine and also add addition support. I cut down into mine for my Cummins but I still left half of it there. You pretty much cut the whole thing out. The ability for a cross member to counteract a bending load is exponential to the thickness of the metal and the height of the cross member in this case. You have quite significantly weakened the cross members ability cutting it down so far and not putting a plate back on top. It is well over 10X weaker now than in its stick form.

I welded a 1/4" wall about 2 3/8" OD pipe in between the two front leaf spring brackets for extra support.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:13 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Tabascom16, yes it will get beefed up we are still in the hacking / making it fit stage. In the end the top cap goes back on ( slightly hacked up as well ) plates ho in and a 1/4 inch thick piece of 2x2 angle lines the inside. Also I add a tow hitch to the push bar to help beef up the front of the frame.
It would be pretty sketchy if I just left it hacked up like it is right now in the pics.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:25 PM
bwarren86
New User
that 7.3 didn't want to fit did it

Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Bwarren86 , it is definitely a little tight.
A lot of that engine crossmember goes back in later when I first started I thought I might cut it out completely and custom Fab. But decided to put the cap back on and modify it stay tuned it will come up at some point. Right now it's just pre-assembly it all gets blown back apart later.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:28 PM
ClaySylvester
Senior User
Onboard air

A while back I mounted the air tank. Now that the engine is in place time to start mounting the compressor.
I decided to use a Chrysler RV2 because it is a V-Twin it also has its own oil pan so it is easily converted to an air compressor.
Really the only thing you have to do is take a regulator out of the high pressure side.
I decided to mount it to the alternator bracket using another alternator bracket I got from the wrecking yard.
Also fabricated a plate for the rear that ties into the alternator Mount bolts. Right now everything is just tack welded I will finish weld when I pull it apart.

Attached Images         

Quick Reply: 1977 F250 custom 4X4 7.3 IDI / 5 speed swap / build