Ride Rite air bags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:01 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,476 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Ride Rite air bags?

For those that have these how do you check the air pressure in the bags if you don't have the on board sytem just a tire guage at the fill piont? Thinking of adding these just trying to decide.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:59 PM
L3dford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep, that's how I do it. You do need to make sure you don't ****-eye the gauge on the valve when checking it and release air. There's not much volume so it's easy to drop the pressure in them by a few lbs or more.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had them on my old F250 with an onboard compressor and gauge in the cab. Never had a problem with them losing air but when not towing I lowered the air to around 5-8 psi. Some guys use 2 fill points but if I hadn't of had the onboard rig I would have just tied them together with one fill point.They work very good.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:20 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Any surprises for the installation that aren't in the installation instructions? I'll be putting on my 2016 F350 dually 6.7 4x4 truck.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:50 PM
L3dford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put them on a SRW and it was pretty straight forward. I don't recall any gotchas.
Just keep an eye on the wires back there so you don't pinch any.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,444 Likes on 2,841 Posts
I just finished installing the Air Lift 5000 Ultimate bags with a Wireless One compressor/manifold system. Not the same company, but same parts really.

Anyway, you can assume that the pressure is right at what you want it to be after setting it because if it is not the compressor should turn on again to bring it back up to where you set it. If you want to check the pressure manually, you can use a tire pressure gauge on a valve that is easily accessible.

I put a single manual fill valve at the license plate in case the manifold or compressor fail, but that is not a common problem.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:21 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Thanks for the replys. I probably don't really need it but the truck does sag a little with the 5th wheel hitched and having the snow plow package. I'm sure it won't hurt having some of the weight off the factory leafs.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:18 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's been my experience if you have one common fill point, when you do a tight turn the outside force will force air from the outside to the inside excaserbating the angle of the load to the outside. Ideally the two bags should be independent of each other.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I have never experienced that with mine. Single fill point on my bags. Check mine with an air gauge when filling. Don't have an on board compressor, but I do have a small 12v compressor I can fill with if I need to. I keep it in the truck box.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:58 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
I have never experienced that with mine. Single fill point on my bags. Check mine with an air gauge when filling. Don't have an on board compressor, but I do have a small 12v compressor I can fill with if I need to. I keep it in the truck box.
And you may never with your set up. I had an in bed overhead camper when I experienced it. Thought I was going to lose it. Reran separate lines and it made a huge difference in cornering. The logic is solid, center of gravity vrs. weight are the big players here.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:17 AM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
It's been my experience if you have one common fill point, when you do a tight turn the outside force will force air from the outside to the inside excaserbating the angle of the load to the outside. Ideally the two bags should be independent of each other.
This can also occur from driving on a tilted surface, such as the crown of a road. It will happen when sitting still on a tilted surface in loads such as a tall slide-in camper or with large concentrated loads, such as a powered air compressor or large generator or welder that is an off-centered load.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ExcursionPSD
This can also occur from driving on a tilted surface, such as the crown of a road. It will happen when sitting still on a tilted surface in loads such as a tall slide-in camper or with large concentrated loads, such as a powered air compressor or large generator or welder that is an off-centered load.
agreed....

I discovered this back with air shocks. early 1970's station wagon...
1972 Kingswood. 400/400..

came with single.. soon after, changed to 2 inlets.. isolated units.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,444 Likes on 2,841 Posts
I just installed the Air Lift 5000 system that has 1 manifold and 1 compressor that branches to 2 air bags and a manual fill valve in the rear of the vehicle. Is there an easy way to change this to a bag isolated or 2 part system without buying another manifold and compressor?

Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I just installed the Air Lift 5000 system that has 1 manifold and 1 compressor that branches to 2 air bags and a manual fill valve in the rear of the vehicle. Is there an easy way to change this to a bag isolated or 2 part system without buying another manifold and compressor?
Contact Air-Lift. should have something... this in not new. maybe a electric switch/valve.. one OR other.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:01 AM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous
I have the Air Lift sytem with small hard plastic hoses, that use compression pushin fittings for the hose. I have an Air Lift setup with two gauges, with control valves for each side, mounted below the dashboard.

A quick simple, cheap solution would be to just put a shutoff valve between the tee and one of the bags.

. Open the valve before filling the bags. Do this when the vehicle is level side to side.
. Fill the bags to the desired pressure.
. Close the valve installed between the tee and one of the bags. The bags are now isolated from each other.

Quick Reply: Ride Rite air bags?