6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Upgrading leaky Dummy Plugs. Suggestions or advice while im in thier?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 05:30 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Where did you get reverse water?

Old 01-18-2017, 04:37 PM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Finished the drivers side today and put her back together. For the record there was a greenish blue o-ring that came with the kit and a hex plug with an o-ring on it that I was uncertain where they went. The greenish blue o-ring went into the right angle fitting in the manifold that connects the crank case ventilation to the intake tube and the hex plug went in the rear of the fuel rail. Everything went exceptionally well and I wrapped some wiring with friction tape that was getting rubbed and prevented future issues. The drivers side stand pipe came out in one piece and took a while to get the lower portion out. I used the new upper portion and screwed it in and backed it out to retrieve the lower section. The new o-ring had enough tension to pull it out.

After some road testing and a few long cranks she now starts within 1-2 seconds and after sitting for hour or two she cranks right up again within 1-2 seconds. I'm going to gather some parts for phase two and wait for signs of a failure before proceeding. Looks like the HPO leak is corrected and the STC fitting is good for now. Thanks for everyone's help and advise it is truly appreciated

Old 01-18-2017, 07:07 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Do the stc fitting. They blow out and then you are looking at replacing a rear timing cover.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Do the stc fitting. They blow out and then you are looking at replacing a rear timing cover.
I will do it when I do the EGR delete and replace the oil cooler. I will also upgrade the turbo feed lines.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:58 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I wouldn't bother replacing the oil cooler since your temps look fine. Once you delete the EGR the temps don't matter as long as the oil doesn't get stupid hot.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
It's been a while but I wanted to post an update. Everything has been great and truck has been starting like it did when it was new. However...last weekend the truck sat for two days in cold (30 degree) weather and when I had my son go out to start it and it cranked a looooong time and barely started. When it finally did there was a bunch of smoke from the built up fuel. We drove it to several stops and it started quick and with no smoke every time.

What do you think caused the almost no start condition? glow plugs? FICM sync?

I was not in the truck to watch the gauges so I don't know what was going on but now I'm concerned I might get stranded if I don't figure out what's causing the issue. I've started the truck cold several times since the repairs without any issues and was convinced the long crank issues were behind me.

I have verified that the FICM voltages are rock solid as well as the batteries being 100%

Any advise would be helpful and appreciated.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:36 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Just curious - how did you verify the batteries to be 100%?

Do you have a code reader? Glow plug problems are usually good at throwing codes.

What are your rpms when you are having problems starting?

Old 03-03-2017, 07:48 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
Thanks for the quick reply.

I load tested the batteries and they are holding 110% of their rated load. All the connections are clean and solid. I replaced them 3 months ago so they are fresh.

I wasn't in the truck and only had the issue that one time. So I'm not sure what the RPM's were but is sounded like it was winding up good as usual.

I have a Livewire TS that I use for reading codes and monitoring the data only. I've never put a tune on the truck but plan to some day when I get done bullet proofing it. Honestly I have not even checked for any codes since the long crank issue but will today.

Do you think a glow plug code would turn on the check engine light?

Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 AM
MaxOut
Cross-Country
bismic- you got me thinking so I stopped by my shop and check for codes and sure enough--Glow plug codes

P-0670
P-0677
P-0683

I check the connections to the glow plug controller and both of the pulled off without compressing the release clip??? I removed them and inspected the connections and they looked clean and seal was in place. I put them on and off several times and pushed as hard as I could to finally get the to lock on. I think this may have been the problem. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks bismic for pointing me in the right direction to check for codes. I don't know why I didn't consider that right off...I guess I thought since it only happened one time and their were no lights on dash that their wouldn't be any codes.