1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Hello from the newbie! Just picked up an E350 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:33 PM
CaliE350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from the newbie! Just picked up an E350 7.3

Hi Everyone,

Been lurking on here for a couple of months since I got the van bug after seeing a lifted e-series in person up in Lake Tahoe.

Been looking and missed out on a 1998 E250 which was almost done with an 4x4 F350 SD axle swap. Someone offered the guy $1000 more for it and I lost it. Worst part, I had the money and would have given him a bit more, but it was a V8 though.

So after sobbing and missing out on that loss, I ran across a 2000 E350 7.3L with about 180K that was on Craigslist for a while. The guy ended up being out of town over the holidays and just got back last week.

The van is out of state and has not been registered here because when he arrived, he couldn't get it to run. Fees were only about $280 with smog. Welp, took my buddy up there with me two days ago and got it to crank over, so we both figured it was some sort of fuel problem (that and we could smell the fuel leak). So I picked it up for $1800 (he was asking $2500). It also has trailer brakes and an engine pre-heater, which I really liked.

Some of my immediate plans are:
  • Mechanical: Go through it mechanically and change out all fluids, hoses, brakes, pads, filters and pretty much anything else I can find wrong with it. I figure I am going to be about $800 into it, but I know it will run good at that point. Once, complete, get it smoged and registered.
  • Tires are decent for now, I may be either doing a lift OR a 4X4 conversion (way down the road on the 4x4 due to cost), so I won't spend the money wheels and tires yet. But checking prices for the lift kit, I could get away with possibly doing that in the next year. If anyone on here has done their own 4x4 conversion, please PM me or post your build link. I know of the several companies that do them, just trying to avoid that type of cost if I can at all. Not looking to build a full on super 4x4 mud slinger, I have my 4runner for that. I just want to have some clearance and perhaps being able to go to some spots without getting stuck in 2x2.
  • Bodywork/paint - it has a bit of rust on one side and will need some minor fab work done just behind the barn doors and one small dent (same side) behind rear wheel. The color is gold and for some reason, a few people actually like the gold color. You're thoughts and opinions? If I do keep it gold, I will Rhino line that whole bottom part. Color wise, I was thinking either all black or a metallic smoke grey. Maybe even an Army green wrap? Depending on cost, I will see which way I will go with paint.
  • Front area interior: front seats are decent. I will get at least one UJoint swivel base for the passenger (maybe even the driver). Dash and other stuff are in good shape. I will replace both driver's and passenger doors panels with newer door panels as they are a direct fit.
  • Cargo area interior: The previous owner was already paneling and installing that reflective insulation but I don't think he put the 5/8 board in between the metal and the reflective stuff for an air buffer. So I am probably going to pull it all and check for any rust and give it a good cleaning. Then install the 5/8 barrier first, then reflective, then the paneling. I may paint the paneling or install this stick on wall stuff I saw in a house recently Rethink Your Walls ? Stikwood (Anyone know the total S.F. of the walls and ceiling in the E350 Cargo?) I was pretty impressed with the looks of it and the strength in which it adhered to the walls. I would probably buy some extra heavy duty 3M tape to make sure it stays put. Price wise, at $12 for Plankprints per SF it is not that bad at all and looks really nice. Plankprints ? Stikwood
  • Cargo area flooring: I have no clue which way to go with this. I was thinking carpet because I have to small dogs and I don't want them all sliding back and forth on the floor. If you guys have some good suggestions, I would be open to reading your ideas.
  • Electronics: 1st thing is a new stereo. That OG Ford tape deck won't cut it. Nothing fancy maybe a double din Pioneer or Kenwood and four decent speakers. Then I want to add a CB radio. As far as Solar power, I just started looking at kits. I basically want to be able to power a small fridge, some heated mattress pads/blankets, laptop and cell phones/iPads. I'll get a buddy heater for now, no need for full on furnace at this point. But I may want to add some small rear A/C element in the future, so I want to make sure I have enough power (and dual batteries too). LED lighting is a must for the rear area as well. Also planning on plumbing in via one wall (or both) to have access to land power if we decide to KOA it a night or somewhere else with power cord access. Any help or suggestions on either building my own or kit/batteries/setup would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • Bed and cabinets: We have pretty nice wrecking yard for RV's here, so I am sure I can find some cabinets I can use with a sink already built into it. The bed I plan on building (out of wood) a rock n rolling bed. So I can have the ability to sit up and use it more like a futon. May just do a futon design and get some foam mattress from Ikea and cut it down to size. I want to sofa to face towards the front area, built up just high enough were I can sit without hitting my head (I'm 6'1"). And then pull out the bed to be almost queen size for me and the wifey. So most likely I will have to make some sort of hinged backrest that folds down.
  • Lighting: going to upgrade the rear tail lights and front headlamps/signals to LED I found on Ebay and add LED to the the 3rd brake light and turn signals. Also, probably pick up one of those lightbars on Ebay for about $75.
  • Bumpers: Eventually planning on getting both new front and rears aluminess, but it is pointless to do so and get a tire carrier until I either lift it or go 4x4, so that is going to be one of the last additions to this van.
Well that's most of my project build. I am sure I will add and change a lot. If you all have links saved for any of the stuff I mentioned, I would appreciate you posting them in this thread so I can keep track of it all.

Now to tow her down to my place in the next week or so.

Here are the photos of the Gold Beast.

Gold Beast front!

Gold Beast side with minor rust damage and dent behind rear wheel. Body is pretty straight everywhere else.

Hope to meet up with some of you on a run perhaps this summer. Thank you in advance for all of your assistance and advice.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:01 AM
TheRooster
Freshman User
Tires are decent for now, I may be either doing a lift OR a 4X4 conversion (way down the road on the 4x4 due to cost), so I won't spend the money wheels and tires yet. But checking prices for the lift kit, I could get away with possibly doing that in the next year. If anyone on here has done their own 4x4 conversion, please PM me or post your build link. I know of the several companies that do them, just trying to avoid that type of cost if I can at all. Not looking to build a full on super 4x4 mud slinger, I have my 4runner for that. I just want to have some clearance and perhaps being able to go to some spots without getting stuck in 2x2.

You may not like what I'm about to say, but hear me out. I'm in the midst of a similar project. After much discussion and research with my mechanic friend we came to the conclusion that a 4x4 conversion is not worth the money time and possible problems it may cause.

My suggestion would be to save the money you would spend on a 4x4 conversion and add a good 12,000lb winch to the front of it (1,500 total mounted), and drop in a Powertrax no slip locker (Or an ARB if you are made of money) in the rear with some nice aggressive tires (another 1,500 including tires). You are never going to do real offroad stuff in it because of the wheel base and weight.

Between a good winch and a rear locker you should be able to go almost anywhere you could possibly want to go in that Van. The 4x4 conversion's, are in my humble opinion, really more of a vanity thing.

Take the 7,000 you have left over from forgoing the 4x4 conversion and save it for the inevitable blown engine. I'd say if the engine is in perfect condition (it's not, judging from the general condition) you might get another 30-50k before something major crops up. When the engine blows drop in a nice reman and rebuild the transmission.

Furthermore, I would be very careful lifting this van. If you want a couple of inches to level it out, there are some cheap coil airbags that you can install that will give you a couple inches and not throw of the camber too bad. These vans have pretty bad safety ratings due to their tendency to rollover. If it was a dually I would say lift away, but it's not, you put a 4 inch lift on this thing and a stiff interstate crosswind changing lanes could be where you check out.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:26 AM
CaliE350
New User
Originally Posted by TheRooster
Tires are decent for now, I may be either doing a lift OR a 4X4 conversion (way down the road on the 4x4 due to cost), so I won't spend the money wheels and tires yet. But checking prices for the lift kit, I could get away with possibly doing that in the next year. If anyone on here has done their own 4x4 conversion, please PM me or post your build link. I know of the several companies that do them, just trying to avoid that type of cost if I can at all. Not looking to build a full on super 4x4 mud slinger, I have my 4runner for that. I just want to have some clearance and perhaps being able to go to some spots without getting stuck in 2x2.

You may not like what I'm about to say, but hear me out. I'm in the midst of a similar project. After much discussion and research with my mechanic friend we came to the conclusion that a 4x4 conversion is not worth the money time and possible problems it may cause.

My suggestion would be to save the money you would spend on a 4x4 conversion and add a good 12,000lb winch to the front of it (1,500 total mounted), and drop in a Powertrax no slip locker (Or an ARB if you are made of money) in the rear with some nice aggressive tires (another 1,500 including tires). You are never going to do real offroad stuff in it because of the wheel base and weight.

Between a good winch and a rear locker you should be able to go almost anywhere you could possibly want to go in that Van. The 4x4 conversion's, are in my humble opinion, really more of a vanity thing.

Take the 7,000 you have left over from forgoing the 4x4 conversion and save it for the inevitable blown engine. I'd say if the engine is in perfect condition (it's not, judging from the general condition) you might get another 30-50k before something major crops up. When the engine blows drop in a nice reman and rebuild the transmission.

Furthermore, I would be very careful lifting this van. If you want a couple of inches to level it out, there are some cheap coil airbags that you can install that will give you a couple inches and not throw of the camber too bad. These vans have pretty bad safety ratings due to their tendency to rollover. If it was a dually I would say lift away, but it's not, you put a 4 inch lift on this thing and a stiff interstate crosswind changing lanes could be where you check out.

Lots of good points in your response. Thank you. At this point, both the wifey and I just want to get out on the road. I planned to go through the entire engine, tranny, brakes axles, mounts, shafts, etc to get it into tip top shape first. Then start working on the interior.

Here is a basic drawing I did for a sofa/bed that can accommodate me (6'1") lengthwise. I haven't figured out all the parts, measurements but I plan on doing a how to video/photos when I actually get the van down to my place and complete all the mechanical work.

Sofa/Bed plans

Thinking about it, I did drive both E150's and E250's (older and newer) while I worked at FedEx in the western Sierra Nevada region. I never once got stuck in mud or snow, so putting that kind of money into a 4x4 may not be the best use of funds. I do want to do a small lift (for larger wheels and tires) and a steering stabilizer and probably a thicker sway bar, which I am going to see one this weekend. The Powertrax no slip locker sounds like a good idea and not a huge investment at all.

@TheRooster you mentioned some cheap coil airbags for the lift. Can you post up a link to these so I can check them out? I would appreciate that information.

As for the interior, I am going to check out some cabinets pulled from salvaged RV's next week to get some ideas. I really can't buy anything yet since I need to build out the bed first and that's after I got her running perfect.

I appreciate the tips and sensibility of your response. Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:55 AM
TheRooster
Freshman User
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...er-spring-kits

Keep us updated on your build. I'm interested in what you do. On mine I'm playing on making it more utility oriented rather than a camper van. Another tip, watch rust around the drip rail. If it isn't rusty up there already go ahead and run a thick bead of silicone all the way around.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:19 PM
CaliE350
New User
@TheRooster Thanks for the tip on the drip rail. I may sand the whole top down and spray it either with Line-X or something else. Haven't got that far yet.

Main thing is to do some metal fab on the one rusted part near the passenger rear barn door.

I'll talk to my buddy who is helping me on the project to see which way is best to go for a lift. I like this setup and it has pretty good reviews: Action Van Suspension - System Details - Ford Van Lift Kits

Old 01-16-2017, 12:38 PM
djbonsu
Junior User
nice find! i have a build thread with my 7.3 4x4 conversion which is still in progress. Just added a tru-trac posi to the rear with new yukon 4.10 gears. If done at a moderate pace, the 4x4 conversion from UJOR or MG metalworks can be done in stages or as money allows. here is my build thread --> MPV Build: 2000 7.3 PSD E350 w/ UJOR - Expedition Portal

Old 01-18-2017, 04:57 PM
CaliE350
New User
Originally Posted by djbonsu
nice find! i have a build thread with my 7.3 4x4 conversion which is still in progress. Just added a tru-trac posi to the rear with new yukon 4.10 gears. If done at a moderate pace, the 4x4 conversion from UJOR or MG metalworks can be done in stages or as money allows. here is my build thread --> MPV Build: 2000 7.3 PSD E350 w/ UJOR - Expedition Portal

Awesome. Thank you for the information and the thread.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:29 PM
PSD-CamperVan
New User
Lightbulb

I might suggest sea-dek for the floor. It looks like teak wood but is spongey like anti-fatigue interlocking mat flooring & waterproof. It is possible to have custom colors, sizes, patterns tailor made to your specs & also they send samples upon request.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
and they will send you free samples