1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

98 Navigator - problems with turn and stop lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 AM
Stanislaw
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Navigator - problems with turn and stop lights

Hi Guys,

This will be rather long post so thank you for your patience but still, badly need your help.
I have 2, separated (I think) problems with lights.
First of all, since I have this car in Europe (Poland), I have done some mods to the lights to meet the law regulations.

Red turn light is not allowed and turn light has to be completely independent from stop light so: I disconnected the turn signal from its original location in booth tail lamps. I put additional orange bulbs to the lamps, and took the turn signal from the front turn lamps, separately for right and left side. This way I have an orange blinking turn signal, and stop lights are not blinking any more when turning. This was working fine for last 3 years...

Now problems:

No. 1 - Turning light. Front right is not working. Bulb is ok (even replaced). When turning right, the dash signal is fast (like for burned bulb). The rear right turn light is working (and remember it uses signal from front) so can be assumed that signal is given correctly. I checked the socked with my volt meter, and when turn signal on, I can measure the pulsating voltage from 0 to about 12. But when I put the bulb, it is not working... I checked the ground from the socket to the chasis, and ground seems to be there (multi meter beeps). Also right front side turn light (the small light on the front fender) is not blinking. What the hell happened ?? Please notice I have this problem from several weeks now - this info is important for the problem no 2. The hazzard light blinks with normal speed, but even then, the right front does not blink. I was trying to use the hint with the steering column up/down movement, but no changes.

No 2 - Stop lights. Yesterday they were working fine . This morning they are not. I'm referring to the main stop lights. /The third upper stop light never worked for me (probably broken led bulbs or something) so not important for this investigation./ I was able to take the car out of park and drive it, so I suppose the BOO switch on the pedal is ok (I can also hear it clicks when pedal pressed in), as if this was broken, the car would refuse to be driven.. It is badly cold here (below -20 celcius) so the heater blend door froze, but should not affect the stop lights.
So if any one can point me to the right direction that would be much appreciated Thank you in advance

Old 01-11-2017, 07:53 AM
alloro
Received 4,185 Likes on 2,425 Posts
Remove the steering column covers and make sure the turn signal switch connector is in nice and tight. Tilting the column down tugs the wires and can cause the connector retainer to break and the connector to be pulled out slightly.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Stanislaw
Junior User
Hi Alloro - I could bet you will be the first responder

Well I did that - no joy... The plug sits tight in the socket and the wires are tight in the plug as they should... In fact, in the lowest column position, there is still some free play to the wires so this is not the case I suppose.
Also I did:

- took out and verified the BOO switch to be working - it makes contact when pressed so it is ok.
- make a short cable and connected booth contacts in the BOO switch plug together simulating the pressed pedal... No joy - no stop lights.
- tested booth BOO plug contacts versus ground - there is no power in neither wire/contact. I did that with and without ignition as well. No light.
- checked every fuse under the dash and under the hood... All fuses ok.

At this point I'm running out of ideas and I'm a bit frozen... 18 below here at this moment...
I gave up with the turn signal for now... The stop light is a priority - can't drive without...
Do you have any ideas ??

Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Stanislaw
Junior User
OK... one problem is sorted !!!!
I have stop lights again... Turns out that there was power in the green/orange wire, just beside the plug (top side, close to multi switch), but the power was gone on the other side of this wire - close to pedal.... The wire was bent and burnt high under the dash where it goes up to the steering column... Cut, cleaned and soldered together and veoila...Lights are back

So now, the turn signal is on the table...as still not working..

Old 01-11-2017, 11:01 AM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanislaw
- tested booth BOO plug contacts versus ground - there is no power in neither wire/contact. I did that with and without ignition as well. No light.
- checked every fuse under the dash and under the hood... All fuses ok.

If there is no power in either BOO connector wire, check fuse #13 in the BJB.

But I don't think that is the problem, because you would not have been able to get it out of park if there was no power to the BOO switch.

Could you double check to see if when there is no power to the BOO switch AND you can still get it out of park?

Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 AM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Well I did that - no joy... The plug sits tight in the socket and the wires are tight in the plug as they should...
With your foot on the brake, what is voltage on the light green wire going into the multifunction switch?

Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 AM
alloro
So now, the turn signal is on the table...as still not working..
Okay good some progress. Have you tested the output of the turn signal switch to make sure it's good? Here is the diagram and connector pinout.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Turn Signal Circuit.pdf (219.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 11:14 AM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
OK... one problem is sorted !!!!
I have stop lights again... ..

Great!

Cancel my two posts!

Old 01-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Stanislaw
Junior User
Originally Posted by alloro
Okay good some progress. Have you tested the output of the turn signal switch to make sure it's good? Here is the diagram and connector pinout.
Well.... I took every of the 4 turning bulbs and measure the connectors in the sockets... All the same... Pulsating from 0 to about 12 in every socket on every car corner...

But as I mentioned before, the rear turning bulbs are connected to the front signal... So left front and left rear bulbs, are connected to the same left front signal... The same for right side.... So basically, the rear signals are not used...and front signals are used booth for front and rear bulbs...
Left side is ok... On the right side however... rear bulb works, front bulb is not... Despite the fact that booth bulbs are feed by the same signal and the voltage is pulsating in booth sockets (front and rear).
What I'm thinking... that maybe for some reason, without load the socket shows some volts... but under load (bulb) the voltage is not there...??

Old 01-11-2017, 12:31 PM
alloro
Well.... I took every of the 4 turning bulbs and measure the connectors in the sockets... All the same... Pulsating from 0 to about 12 in every socket on every car corner...
I would check again with the bulbs in so there is a load. If you still get a pulsing 12 volts then the problem is the socket or bulb.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Stanislaw
Junior User
Ok... so I did that on booth sides of the front..

Good side - with bulb voltage is pulsating as well as with bulb. When bulb is in the socket, it flashes, and voltage goes from 0 to 12 with pulses... all good

Bad side - without bulb, voltage is pulsating as with the good side. With bulb however, voltmeter shows constant 0,00 V. No flashing of course...

Not sure how to understand this results... Maybe shorted wire somewhere ??

Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro

Check the ground on the socket. If it is poor, the voltage may be back feeding into the parking light system.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:31 PM
alloro
Not a short but rather a bad or loose connection. I'd start by checking where you tapped into the circuit to run the wires to the rear bulbs.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Stanislaw
Junior User
Found it !!!!!
Checked every wire and plug related to the turn signals on the right...
The small, side blinker... one wire was broken completly, on the second one the insulation was incomplete (damaged)... Dirt and water everywhere... Cleaned, soldered together, lot of the insulating tape... and wow... it is working
Thanks a lot !!!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:26 PM
alloro
Found it !!!!!
Persistence pays!

Quick Reply: 98 Navigator - problems with turn and stop lights