1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to upgrade to a Diesel (6.7) for the first time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 AM
Uncleford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to upgrade to a Diesel (6.7) for the first time.

Hello Crew,

I am sure this has been asked and answered a few hundred times here but I have decided its a now or never type of deal for me to jump into a diesel. For reference I have always had F-150s to tow my stuff with and think that maybe its time that I step up to a F-250.

My current truck is a 2012 F150 FX4 4x4 w/ 5.0. At this time I don't have any problems with it even though at 50,100 miles the engine was replaced (under warranty/very grateful for that) it now has 74k on it. At this time there is no warranty and wifey is a little nervous about that because of previous engine replacement.

We would be towing a 20ft toy hauler with it. I am guessing it weighs close to 7-8K fully loaded with our kids, quads, dogs and gear. While the F150 tows decently, it struggles up the hills in Va and WVa. Eventually we will upgrade to a slightly bigger camper. Not sure if we would get something as big as a 5th wheel or when we would upgrade but it has been discussed.

Anyway we started thinking that a 2012-2016 SD 250 with the 6.7 might be a better fit for us. It would allow easy hauling over the mountains while towing and still get decent if not better mpg while not straining/stressing the engine so much. It has heavier suspension and most likely will not have to have much to add to it such as brake control and other items. Basically I would like to have a little "over-kill" for what we have now instead of having "just adequate" if that makes sense.

I'm looking at the 6.7 over the 6.2 mainly because of the torque and reports of longevity. Not saying the 6.2 wouldn't last its just diesels in general. If I am wrong about that, then this is why I am posting in the forum and I am sure someone will let me know.

So, what is the maintenance like on the 6.7's? I do all of my own work (unless its under warranty- even then I don't like someone messing with my equipment)

How is the mileage when driving mostly hwy empty? Is it better than the 13~ish I read for the 6.2's?

Am I correct in thinking that the 6.7 will pull our gear through the mountains nearly effortlessly?

This would be a vehicle that i drive most all the time meaning it wouldn't sit much especially in the winter time. Also, Thanks for any input and I will continue to read through older posts to further educate myself on the F250.

-M

Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
I believe you are 'short-changing' the 6.2. Even doing your own maintenance, the costs will be significantly higher with the diesel. The mpg difference 'pay back' is not going to give you a solid return for many years.

I too came from a 150 (09) to my 2011 250 w/6.2. The towing feel alone is worth the upgrade. The platform is so much more stable and capable. I get wanting a diesel, I started out that way, but the extra maintenance cost and the fact that I do not tow heavy, led me to select the 6.2.

I have not heard of any longevity issues with the 6.2; this motor is proving to be a beast in Super Duties and is gaining a large following. It is even pulling some back from the diesel side.

Perhaps looking for a 250 w/4.30 gears is a good option.

Regardless, keep us posted on your search.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Man, I think this question comes up often. My own thoughts are you are picking up some costs to, I guess have more tow power in the hills (I know W.VA. and VA. living in N.E. TN.). For me, I would be weighing how much weight and how often to decide whether the trade off is worth the difference in cost.

The mileage thing? You will never pay for the difference in cost between a gasser and a diesel simply based on mileage and the maintenance costs can be more with diesel.

When it comes down to the bottom line, I think most folks know what they want to buy and try to find reasons to justify their choice. That is, I think "wants define needs". My position is simple. If you want a diesel get one! There are plenty of content folks pulling the weight you have now with a 6.2 or even the 5.0 you have. There are also a lot of folks on here towing with diesel.

My two cents,

Steve

Old 01-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
same here.. last year and again this year.

I got my 2012 6.2l last summer .. wanted to get a 10,000 (MAX) trailer..

gas is 2.20... diesel is 2.45..
gas no fuel filter to replace.... diesel is $100 every 15,000 miles
gas needs 7 quarts of motor oil.. diesel is 13 quarts.

I get 8 mpg towing ... my understanding REAL numbers of diesel is 11-12.

the numbers tell me.. GAS.. but WANT is different...
past few months I been dreaming of a F 350 Dually.. and its not needed.. and there are NO 2 wheel drive dually's. (2011-2016)
but I keep looking for a nice used one .. I could afford.. not looking good.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:29 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Watch this dog of a 6.2 video.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Man, that would suck the doors off my 7.3. We time our acceleration with a sun dial!

Steve

Old 01-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
a 2013 GAS 6.2L .. Dually.. and "XL" trim

in my search in N.E. Ohio and South Texas past 2 months.. never seen a used 6.2L dually posted.

only Diesel and 4x4.. and most are top end trim

Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
One of the small dealers I used to work for wanted a 6.2 dually. Ended up finding one in Texas so now customers see it and try to buy it off him. I think dealerships make more money off the diesels and they may be an easier sell, so that is what they stock.

F250 short bed 6.7s all day long everywhere. 6.2 short beds much less common but out there. 6.2 long beds, good luck. Some dealers here none for the last year.

I think if you want something less common, you just about have to order it new.

Steve

Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
One of the small dealers I used to work for wanted a 6.2 dually. Ended up finding one in Texas so now customers see it and try to buy it off him. I think dealerships make more money off the diesels and they may be an easier sell, so that is what they stock.

F250 short bed 6.7s all day long everywhere. 6.2 short beds much less common but out there. 6.2 long beds, good luck. Some dealers here none for the last year.

I think if you want something less common, you just about have to order it new.

Steve
Steve, I fully understand.

I wanted a 250 Super Cab, Long Bed, Gas 6.2L, 2 wheel drive and "XL" or "XLT" trim.. very hard to find in Ohio..

4x4 and Diesel is almost 99 percent. and in any Brand.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Man, that would suck the doors off my 7.3. We time our acceleration with a sun dial!

Steve
Line of the week right here!

Old 01-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd save your money, vs making years of new payments. IF someday your F150 engine blows up, THEN you decide if spending $$ to fix it is worth it, based on the condition of the truck. Put a few thousand in a savings acct for possible repairs.
Buying a used truck, doesn't guarantee it won't suffer a failure either. The 6.2 is probably the safest bet, less potential for huge expense, but you are spending tons of money to save a potential few thousand dollar expense, to a vehicle you HAVE taken care of and know what it's shortcomings are.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 PM
razehm
Senior User
I was in the same spot you were about 18 months ago. I had a 2012 F-150 5.0 V8 lariat with a six foot bed. We got the truck before we got our TT which is a 32 foot 7K pound Bullet. With the configuration of F-150 we got it was almost maxed out for what it could pull. After a trip to the Oregon coast and fighting the wind we moved up to a 2016 F350 6.7L diesel Lariat CC long bed. And it the best decision I could have made. It is so much more relaxing towing our travel trailer. We went to Yellowstone this last summer and a few other places. I get average (according to the computer) right around 17 MPG and around 12 or so towing but that is dependent on traffic, weather, putting your foot in it, etc. It is peace of mind knowing I am towing half its rated capacity, axles are bigger, brakes are bigger, the drive is more relaxing. And driving up grades is a dream ad going down is too because of the exhaust brake. I abosultely love it!

Old 01-12-2017, 05:34 AM
Bugize
Senior User
I myself,always had a fondness for a diesel, but didn't buy one until October of 2016,and very glad I did. Yes there is a little more from a maintainence standpoint,which I actually enjoy.Oil changes cost more,but don't have to do as often,it has 2 fuel filters that should be changed once per year or so, have to crawl underneath and drain off the frame rail one...once per month,just to check for any water in the fuel,which if you get most of your fuel from a good,high turnover station..it isn't an issue.I do not tow with mine,but I do haul 8-10 tons of wood pellets between myself and daughter/son in law. From a power standpoint...the 6.7 doesn't know it has a ton to a ton and a half in the bed. Driving empty on rural roads I get 19-21 mpg, on the interstate...around 70 mph,i get 18-19 empty. Now...if most of your driving is skipping around town a couple miles here, couple there, then a diesel isn't for you.Last fall I helped my brother haul firewood, he has a f250 gas, wasn't as loaded as heavy as mine was rounded over about the rear window, I was following him and was about pushing him up the hills...and my truck wasn't even working. If you go to the 6.7 side of the forum you can get other answers and opinions as well. Some have gone to the gassers and come back, everyone has a different need or want.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "significantly higher maintenance costs" comes out to about $0.02 per mile. The price per gallon vs mpg is about a wash. The diesel engine will retain most of its value in resale and ease of sale.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:26 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Deuce40s
The "significantly higher maintenance costs" comes out to about $0.02 per mile. The price per gallon vs mpg is about a wash. The diesel engine will retain most of its value in resale and ease of sale.
Hilarious!

Quick Reply: Looking to upgrade to a Diesel (6.7) for the first time.