Sponsored by: Moser

Zf5 hydraulic clutch pedal build

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 AM
ShayneB
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 78 PEB
Check out a my build thread for how I did mine.......I think there would be room to do the same thing with a gasser motor.....I'm installing a 4BTA Cummins.......
Link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...4bt-build.html
i'm doing this zf5 c6 swap so I can be closer to putting a 6bt or 4bt in my truck. Hard to justify to my wife all this at one time.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 AM
xringonly
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please be aware that by adding a hyd master cylinder to your firewall you are asking it (firewall) to hold forces that it wasn't designed to do. Without additional support the firewall WILL flex and with enough cycles it will crack. Check out co425's build or the link in my signature to my build then scroll through to how I reinforced my firewall to hold these forces. We both mounted the master on the other side (left) of the column for clearance of the intended 6bt install but the reinforcing would apply to the other side also. If I remember correctly co425 originally mounted his without a lot of reinforcement then had someone cycle the peddle while he watched. The amount of firewall flex was scary. I can provide pics of mine if interested. I basically reinforced all the firewall left of the column.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
xringonly.......that is precisely the reason I didn't mount to the firewall. Yes, there are ways to build in enough strength to make it work.......it just seemed like a LOT of work to have to do and then start hacking up the firewall........that's why I went with what I built in my build.....no hacking......yes there was probably just as much work in figuring it out and building it but I didn't have to start hacking up my truck.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:02 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
ShayneB.....Mine has been a Loooongg time coming.....cant wait for the day I can actually pump it full of diesel fuel and go cruising' ..............

Old 01-12-2017, 09:04 AM
ShayneB
Freshman User
If you look at my first post picture you can see the 1/8" piece of flat piece of steel I used to reinforce my firewall for the hydraulic master cylinder. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:31 AM
ShayneB
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 78 PEB
ShayneB.....Mine has been a Loooongg time coming.....cant wait for the day I can actually pump it full of diesel fuel and go cruising' ..............
Me too! I'm trying to get ready for diesel. 👍🏻

Old 01-12-2017, 12:20 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ShayneB
If you look at my first post picture you can see the 1/8" piece of flat piece of steel I used to reinforce my firewall for the hydraulic master cylinder. Thanks for the info.
I'm not wanting to anger anyone here, just trying to help. Does your plate mount on the outside of the firewall?

Old 01-12-2017, 12:27 PM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Not going to anger me.......Everyone is entitled to think the way they want to......I just threw my ideas into the mix for others to see.......wasn't trying to say my way was better......just something different......That in my particular case was better....I didn't want to drill holes in my truck......

Old 01-12-2017, 12:31 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
This is what I have inside the firewall:

This is outside firewall

Old 01-12-2017, 12:37 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
78, Your setup sounds like a great idea and I've read your build thread but my internet is crappy and I couldn't get pics to load yet. I will revisit when I have more data for pics. I just don't want someone to do something that causes more problems later. Only trying to help

Old 01-12-2017, 02:03 PM
ShayneB
Freshman User
It is on the engine side of the firewall. About 4x4" piece of steel. Bolted in four corners. I want all the help I can get. No anger here 😜

Old 01-12-2017, 02:14 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
Ok, that's what I thought I was seeing. When you push the peal down its trying to push the master cylinder off the firewall with considerable force even tho it doesn't feel like on the pedal. Your outside plate wont add any strength unless it bolts through a plate on the inside. All the stress is on little circles the diameter of the nuts on the inside. That stress needs to be spread over a much larger area on the inside of the firewall. Hope I'm creating a clear cartoon but I can be confusing sometimes

Old 01-12-2017, 02:21 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
My inner plate goes from the pedal support all the way to the left edge of the firewall and from the cowl seam at the top of the firewall to the seam where the floor panel welds in. Then the flat bars welded on edge transfers the stress at the master cylinder to these higher strength seam weld areas. Even with this I can see a small amount of movement when the pedal is pushed

Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 PM
ShayneB
Freshman User
Originally Posted by xringonly
78, Your setup sounds like a great idea and I've read your build thread but my internet is crappy and I couldn't get pics to load yet. I will revisit when I have more data for pics. I just don't want someone to do something that causes more problems later. Only trying to help
Originally Posted by xringonly
My inner plate goes from the pedal support all the way to the left edge of the firewall and from the cowl seam at the top of the firewall to the seam where the floor panel welds in. Then the flat bars welded on edge transfers the stress at the master cylinder to these higher strength seam weld areas. Even with this I can see a small amount of movement when the pedal is pushed
your bracing is awesome! I will put another brace on the inside of my firewall I've got it together now but it wouldnt be too tough to add another piece. Thanks for the photos.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 PM
xringonly
More Turbo
No problem, glad I could be of help.
Carl

Quick Reply: Zf5 hydraulic clutch pedal build