1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$18K repair bill, walking away, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:50 PM
qpsdoll
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$18K repair bill, walking away, need advice

So in August of 2016 we purchased a 2004 F350 4X4 diesel from a "reputable" dealer that sells hundreds of used diesel trucks every year. They know their stuff. Less than 2K miles in it decided to not start. Took it in to our local Ford dealer and the news is it needs a new engine among other things. $18,000+ to repair it. The loan is $25,000. We can't afford that. If I could, I would have bought a new truck. Our plan is to get another car loan, buy another truck for my wife, then call the loan company on the '04 and tell them to come and get it. It's eating us up inside to do this. We have never walked away from a loan. Always paid our bills. But there is no way we can afford to fix this one. A friend of ours cautioned us that the loan holder may hold us liable for the repairs. Can they do that? We are in California.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:59 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I think generally they can come after you for the difference between what you owe and what they get for it, otherwise people would walk away from car loans all the time.

Maybe have your truck towed somewhere else for a second opinion? Dealer may be trying to take the easy way out or screw you.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by seville009
I think generally they can come after you for the difference between what you owe and what they get for it, otherwise people would walk away from car loans all the time.

Maybe have your truck towed somewhere else for a second opinion? Dealer may be trying to take the easy way out or screw you.
That's the way it works here when RVs are repoed.

Steve

Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seville009
This ^^^ and 18k sounds like they saw you coming. You need to take the time to give us some background as to what happened and how they came to the conclusion that you need a new engine.
It's unfortunate that you didn't use FTE first for some research, rather than after the issues surfaced. There's still a very good chance that dealer doesn't know what they're talking about. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Another thing, and don't feel bad about it, but you should be posting this in the 6.0 section rather than the generic Super Duty section. There's far more knowledgeable 6.0 people hanging out there. You could always ask a moderator to move this.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:23 PM
PJJTLC
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rules vary from state to state, in Missouri they can't come after you for the difference. In some cases they simply cancel the debt, hit your credit, and depending on your tax situation you get hit for income on it. Doesn't sound like you're in that category.

ask some local people you know who might have experienced or know someone who has.

it may amaze you how many people you already know that have been in a similar situation.

I wish you the best, and that this turns into something good for you.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:32 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
So you bought a diesel without some kind of warranty..A 6.0.shame on you. A reputable dealer would give a 5 or 10k warranty at least. I feel for you. Find out whats wrong with the motor. We can help you although it might be a little late..

Old 01-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Wow that sucks. Obviously Ford iq quoting you for a new engine, my question for you would be why are they quoting you for a new engine? What problems did Ford detect that they say you need a new engine?

It never is an easy choice to make, but the 6.0 and the 6.4 powerstroke engines are and can be expensive to fix and you have Ford and International (Navistar) who have both their hands in your pocket on those. engines

A little more information as to what has been going on with your truck and the problems you were experiencing. You could go to someplace else and have them do an engine for you it might not cost you 18k but it still might be in the 10 to 12k range

You could try to find an aftermarket or auto wrecker engine, but the problem with that is you dont know how the engine was taken care of and how long it will last unless they can give your some type of warranty.

I would definetly call around, but you have to be careful with who you call it needs to be someone that really knows what they are doing, if you get someone that just slaps cheap chinese aftermarket part in it to fix it up, then you could be looking at doing it all again down the road

I'd say give Anthony at SuperDuty Service call, he is an FTE member here and you can explain your issue and he can give you a heads up on what your looking at and he is honest, you wont get any B.S. from him he'd give you the straight scoop. You can look them up on Google for the number to their shop

Old 01-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Sir Kayakalot
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
$18k?!?!? What all does this "repair" consist of? That just seems outrageously high. Shouldn't that cover a new motor, new tranny, new tires and a jar of Vaseline?

Old 01-10-2017, 06:40 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 99f350sd
So you bought a diesel without some kind of warranty..A 6.0.shame on you. A reputable dealer would give a 5 or 10k warranty at least. I feel for you. Find out whats wrong with the motor. We can help you although it might be a little late..
Seriously? Blaming the guy for buying a diesel without a warranty? Lol. If he needs any blame, it's for not reading up on the 6.0 Tech Folder and potentially avoiding a vehicle that may have had pre-existing issues.
Until the OP posts up what the dealer has told him the reasons it needs a new engine, let's hold back on the criticism. It's very possible that the dealer he took it to is a glorified parts thrower rather than a knowledgeable 6.0 technician.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Another thing, and don't feel bad about it, but you should be posting this in the 6.0 section rather than the generic Super Duty section. There's far more knowledgeable 6.0 people hanging out there. You could always ask a moderator to move this.

Totally agree with FordBlueHeart lots of knowledgeable owners of 6.0 here at FTE that are always willing to give you some of their knowledge to help out their fellow 6.0 owners with information and ideas

Old 01-10-2017, 07:46 PM
agpopp
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
There are many many places to have your truck serviced, a second opinion given or a new engine put in that would cost you less than half of that quote. Even a used motor would be a better choice.

I must ask why you would damage your credit and possibly many years of future derogatory marks on your credot and possibly the ability to secure housing and even some jobs by telling the bank to "COME GET IT".....unbelievably irresponsible.

It's your call but I think this would be the dumbest thing I have seen on this board thus far.

2nd dumbest thing is anyone who would willingly take out a loan on a 6.0 or 6.4 truck....period. If you can not pay cash for one of these money pits, you should RUN the other way. The 6.0 almost bankrupt the construction company I work for with a fleet of 50 plus trucks. The owner will not buy another diesel pickup or service body PERIOD...gas trucks only since 2007.

Find a way to fix this issue besides destroying your financial future.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:59 PM
20BHPat1600RPM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qpsdoll
So in August of 2016 we purchased a 2004 F350 4X4 diesel from a "reputable" dealer that sells hundreds of used diesel trucks every year. They know their stuff. Less than 2K miles in it decided to not start. Took it in to our local Ford dealer and the news is it needs a new engine among other things. $18,000+ to repair it. The loan is $25,000. We can't afford that. If I could, I would have bought a new truck. Our plan is to get another car loan, buy another truck for my wife, then call the loan company on the '04 and tell them to come and get it. It's eating us up inside to do this. We have never walked away from a loan. Always paid our bills. But there is no way we can afford to fix this one. A friend of ours cautioned us that the loan holder may hold us liable for the repairs. Can they do that? We are in California.
We're there any warranties express or implied? Or was there a complete disclaimer?

I think I might tell your dealer that you think they misrepresented the vehicle, and that you will pursue them under the local deceptive trade practices act unless they buy it back. You'd tell them you'd be willing to buy another in terms that made you take some of the loss from the first vehicle.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by agpopp
There are many many places to have your truck serviced, a second opinion given or a new engine put in that would cost you less than half of that quote. Even a used motor would be a better choice.

I must ask why you would damage your credit and possibly many years of future derogatory marks on your credot and possibly the ability to secure housing and even some jobs by telling the bank to "COME GET IT".....unbelievably irresponsible.

It's your call but I think this would be the dumbest thing I have seen on this board thus far.

2nd dumbest thing is anyone who would willingly take out a loan on a 6.0 or 6.4 truck....period. If you can not pay cash for one of these money pits, you should RUN the other way. The 6.0 almost bankrupt the construction company I work for with a fleet of 50 plus trucks. The owner will not buy another diesel pickup or service body PERIOD...gas trucks only since 2007.

Find a way to fix this issue besides destroying your financial future.
Like I said, a lot more knowledgeable posters on the 6.0 section. Sounds like you're construction company fleet mechanic didn't know anything about either engine.
Since they haven't has an issue since, they obviously didn't need diesels either by the sound of it.
I bet the bean counters appreciate it.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That sucks!
Should have gone with the 6.2.

Quick Reply: $18K repair bill, walking away, need advice