1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Potential new member of my family

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Potential new member of my family

Yes, a powerstroke truck. What were you thinking, a kid? PSHT!

Anyways, while searching craigslist for some used goodies for my Bronco, I saw an add for an F250 7.3 4x4 (auto transmission unfortunately) 350k for $1995 at a dealer up north.

It has a dent in the rear of the bed, the doors sag, hood looks like it doesn't quite close straight and looks like it's missing interior door handles as well. Cosmetically its semi fair on the exterior, but the interior looks to be actually decent with power options (maybe not working, but I swapped full power into my bronco from manual so it's no big deal to fix that).

What do you guys think? I obviously want to hear it run and take it for a test drive before I buy it. I'll also do the oil cap trick to see if it get's blown off or not. If it passes that, I'm thinking it's probably a good investment would you say so? If it's still available this weekend, I'm going to see if I can borrow a good chunk of change from some of my peeps to go get it.

I'm basically looking for something so that when I go on active duty, I don't have to take my Bronco or Camaro since I put so much work into both. I'd be scared that I'll get station up north and rust out my Bronco/Camaro, or that either one may get stolen somewhere else (because let's face it, bases aren't always built in the nicest communities). If I got this, I would't be so scared of rust or cosmetic damage, and it wouldn't be as flashy for someone to steal. If it does get rusted/damaged, I still have the wiring/engine/drivetrain so I can use it on another frame/Bronco (or third gen camaro ) or try my hand at major body work later on.

Is there anything I can check besides the blowby oil check that would make you guys not buy this truck?

Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
At that price there's no money lost just in parts alone you can get more than what the asking price is.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by z31freakify
At that price there's no money lost just in parts alone you can get more than what the asking price is.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. My parents may not be too happy if I bring it home, but then again, I can probably do some cosmetic work to it, make sure it's in good running order, then sell it for a profit if it really comes down to it.

I could replace the bed, then give it a paint job, replace door hinges etc and probably get about 4k or more so I would maybe make a profit of 1k (not including my labor to paint etc.) which would pay for my e-fuel!

But I'd really want to keep it so I would only do that if my parents threatened to ground me or take away my dessert or something (okay I might be a little old to be grounded. Then again, I'm a little old to be still living at home but I'm close to outta here!)

Old 01-10-2017, 06:52 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 375 Likes on 268 Posts
Check the front tire wear. Those d50s can be a pain if all the bushings are toast.

For that kind of change, if it runs ok, it shouldn't be a losing proposition

Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I probably would have bought this if you didn't find my f250 a few weeks back that I ended up buying.haha

Old 01-10-2017, 08:55 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I'm with Adam. The biggest reason people don't pick those deals up is that they don't have any place to put them. If your willing to do the work then go for it. See how it runs and then make your decision.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
after I get a house, I be looking to buy a good running beater

get some pics

Old 01-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
I'm pretty excited, but know my parent's won't think the same thing. We have the space for it that's for sure, I just have to make sure it doesn't look too bad where it's parked.

I thought it sold today, but apparently it didn't they just re-did the add.

I don't have the money for it now, but I'm going to try and get some money together before Saturday so I can get it if it runs well. I don't think I'll lose any money worst case if I do have to get rid of it quick.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

The only thing that would worry me is that its at a dealer. They are about as crooked as they come!

Old 01-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah... I know that! My friend mentioned this and I kinda thought it as well, it seems weird why they have the truck for so low, especially if it supposedly has nothing wrong with it mechanically. They said because it's high mileage (350K) and it obviously has some cosmetic issues as well.

If it runs well though and I can scrounge up the money, it seems like I won't be at a loss if I take it!

Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Yeah used car lots are the absolute worst. But, when a good deal arises, such as this, it is worth your time to see what it is all about. At the price they are asking for this truck, even if the engine and transmission are bad, me and bubba both could use some parts from it I'm sure, and then part out whats left. So at the very least, we would get our money's worth. I honestly am interested in buying it, but I have a camaro and dodge I have to sell before I buy any more vehicles or my girlfriend will flip. With the good deals that keep popping up on powerstroke in our area lately, if they keep coming for a few more months, I can see myself picking another one up.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by B-Rad88
Yeah used car lots are the absolute worst. But, when a good deal arises, such as this, it is worth your time to see what it is all about. At the price they are asking for this truck, even if the engine and transmission are bad, me and bubba both could use some parts from it I'm sure, and then part out whats left. So at the very least, we would get our money's worth. I honestly am interested in buying it, but I have a camaro and dodge I have to sell before I buy any more vehicles or my girlfriend will flip. With the good deals that keep popping up on powerstroke in our area lately, if they keep coming for a few more months, I can see myself picking another one up.
If she chooses to be mad at you for getting more vehicles, just show her this:

Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
I would just show her this.

Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2017, 09:11 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

haha, you guys have a lot to learn about women! lol

Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Haha maybe! My girlfriend is pretty excited that I told here there was another vehicle I was looking at getting. Well, it might have been like a more 'disappointed' excited.

She'll learn to love the new truck though (if I get it)! Often times my girlfriend will come over and I'm under my truck or car for a few hours.... I feel kinda bad sometimes but my vehicles won't fix themselves! She benefits when I painted her truck and do other maintenance stuff too!

Quick Reply: Potential new member of my family