Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Overdrive.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Boots & Slicks 14
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No Overdrive.

A few days ago while driving my '95 on the highway, I felt the truck bog down like it was running out of gas. I was doing about 70 MPH when it happened. I pulled over, checked everything and it seemed fine. When I attempted to get up to speed again, I noticed it wouldn't shift into overdrive. So I turned the overdrive off and continued the rest of my journey out of town.

I checked the trans fluid, it was clean, full and didn't smell burned. The trans was running at 150 deg before and after it happened according to my Auto Meter gauge.

The overdrive light on the shifter was not blinking before or after I lost overdrive.

​​​The only code the PCM is throwing at me is "insufficient EGR flow".

Not sure if that could be related?

I cleared the code and still no overdrive.

At this point I'm lost at guessing what it could be? Solenoid pack?

I'm currently over 700 miles from home and besides the horrible gas mileage this is causing it's going to add hours to my drive home.

Hoping they're might be an easy fix for this.. (Easy meaning not having to take off more than the valve body if necnecessary).

To be clear it's a '95 Bronco with a 5.8 and E4OD with a MAF. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Boots & Slicks 14
Junior User
I gotta leave town soon.. Anyone?

Old 01-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Without any codes I really don't have much to work with. It could be the solenoid body, but I don't know how that could have made the engine bog down.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Boots & Slicks 14
Junior User
The truck felt like it bogged down when I first lost overdrive. When leaving it in Drive, truck drives normal.

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with my MLPS sensor since my shifter feels sloppy..

Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The sloppy shifter feel is usually from loose bolts at the bottom of the steering column.There are two #30 Torx head bolts that hold the shift cable bracket to the column. They often loosen. If you crawl under the dash and look up the column you'll see them.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What happens if you keep OD on, does it just stay in 3rd?

Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Boots & Slicks 14
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The sloppy shifter feel is usually from loose bolts at the bottom of the steering column.There are two #30 Torx head bolts that hold the shift cable bracket to the column. They often loosen. If you crawl under the dash and look up the column you'll see them.
Yes I checked those. I guess "sloppy" wasn't the best word regarding the shifter, I meant inaccurate. There were times I would have to hold the shifter in Park to get the truck to start. I checked the MPLS earlier and it was a little off. Re-adjusted it and that problem is now gone however still won't stay in overdrive..

Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Boots & Slicks 14
Junior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
What happens if you keep OD on, does it just stay in 3rd?
It will attempt to shift into 4th but won't. It makes it feel like the engine wants to bog.

What's strange is that I was in overdrive (4th) for quite some time when the problem started..

Old 01-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
If you start to slowly back off the throttle, will it successfully complete the shift into OD?

It sounds like either your OD clutches are burnt, or maybe it starts to get into some kind of bind when it shifts into OD. I think the coast-clutch being stuck on might cause that, but I'm not sure how to check if the coast clutch is stuck on.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Boots & Slicks 14
Junior User
If you start to slowly back off the throttle, will it successfully complete the shift into OD?

It sounds like either your OD clutches are burnt, or maybe it starts to get into some kind of bind when it shifts into OD. I think the coast-clutch being stuck on might cause that, but I'm not sure how to check if the coast clutch is stuck on.
Unfortunately throttle position makes no difference. The clutch being toast is my worst fear.
I'm hoping it's more along the lines o​​​​​f something binding like you mentioned.. Haven't gone the "magic fix in a bottle" route but I figure at this point it won't hurt if that's the case.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
I believe a way to check if the coast clutch is sticking, is to see if you have engine braking in 3rd gear, in the drive position with overdrive enabled.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:09 AM
Boots & Slicks 14
Junior User
I believe a way to check if the coast clutch is sticking, is to see if you have engine braking in 3rd gear, in the drive position with overdrive enabled.
I'll try that tomorrow and report back. Thanks to all replies so far.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

You are correct. If there is engine braking in this condition the coast clutch is stuck on.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Mark, you appear to be the person I need to talk to. I have a 93 with a Ford with a E4OD and when I get to highway speeds the truck had a thrumbing noise. I thought it was the driveshaft but I checked it and it starts when I am in overdrive and giving it gas only. Or so I thought. Today I turned off the OD and just driving around town it does it when I give it gas in 3rd. The whole truck vibrates. I suspect a rebuild on the transmission but I could sure use some advice before I go that route. I am about to sell the truck and really do not want to drop more money into it. Thanks

Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Best to make your own thread instead of hijacking this one. It's highly unlikely its your transmission if it does it in multiple gears. Probably bad u-joints.

Quick Reply: No Overdrive.