2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Any pics of '17 with topper or cap. Leer, ARE, etc..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Navydocsuperduty
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Any pics of '17 with topper or cap. Leer, ARE, etc..

Looking for pics before I order. I have a CCLB and am about to order a leer 100XR for my truck. Just want to see if anyone has any pics of one already. I have seen the pic LEER has on the advertising of a CCSB, it's a computerized pic though...

Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 PM
qq11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here you go:

This is the mid-rise cap from Leer. Truck is XLT 6.2. I can walk around bent over in the back and I am just over six feet. The cap is overpriced, but unfortunately they are all that way. I would never have a pickup without a full bed or a cap. It would be like hiking with a backpack while wearing shorts with no pockets. That's only my opinion, and I understand it is a minority one (on both the bed length and the cap).

I really like the new truck. My only complaints are, major, that there is no manual transmission, and minor, many of the controls (high beams, radio tuner, etc.) feel amateur in their design/function. I would rather see the controls either very basic or really well done. There is really no place for mediocracy. That said, the heating control is worth $5K in itself.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Johnnycaker
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search my posts,I have pics of my Leer

Old 01-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Navydocsuperduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by qq11
This is the mid-rise cap from Leer. Truck is XLT 6.2. I can walk around bent over in the back and I am just over six feet. The cap is overpriced, but unfortunately they are all that way. I would never have a pickup without a full bed or a cap. It would be like hiking with a backpack while wearing shorts with no pockets. That's only my opinion, and I understand it is a minority one (on both the bed length and the cap).

I really like the new truck. My only complaints are, major, that there is no manual transmission, and minor, many of the controls (high beams, radio tuner, etc.) feel amateur in their design/function. I would rather see the controls either very basic or really well done. There is really no place for mediocracy. That said, the heating control is worth $5K in itself.

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. I have same truck except I have the 20" rims. I just ordered the 100XR today after seeing your post! Did you do the removable window? Also did you get the "doughnut " for between the sets of glass?

Old 01-09-2017, 05:53 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also ordered the 100xl but got the hinged window on the shell and no donut, as they tend to remove paint quickly, it acts like sand paper one dust gets in there.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Navydocsuperduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by wb6anp
I also ordered the 100xl but got the hinged window on the shell and no donut, as they tend to remove paint quickly, it acts like sand paper one dust gets in there.
I have heard that, I'll only install it when I need for when I want both windows open and the elements out.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Wannaf250
Freshman User
My Leer 100XQ is in and ready for installation. Also, my truck is supposedly at the dealership. So, I should have the combination together in a few weeks and can post a few pics. Oxford white crew cab.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:06 PM
qq11
New User
That's awesome Navydoc, congrats on the cap. I got the slider rear window, but not removable. I wanted the doughnut, but the cap installer said that they scratch up the glass too much so I opted out. In retrospect I kind of wish that I went for it; at the end of the day, what do I care if the glass is scratched up a bit?

I have the power rear slider on the truck so it would be nice to weatherproof the cap-slider connection a bit. Maybe I can rig something up with EPDM/rubber roofing. Or maybe better: to protect the glass from the doughnut, why not just apply a strip of clear film (like the clear bra material I have read about on this site) or vinyl, or even a few layers of masking tape? That should take care of the scratching issue, right?

Did you a get a toolbox or rack on the cap? I got the rack but no other add-ons. I plan to build a shelf of some sort, accessible from the window awnings, to act as a toolbox.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:47 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I get my 2018 I sure won't be buying another Raider product. I have their top of the line cap and the windows are bending on one side. Raider is a joke when it comes to quality.
I like the look of these Leer toppers.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Offshore530
Senior User
I had a leer on my 2013. It took the guy 3 hours to install it because of the cutting he had to do to get it to match up with the tailgate. He also had to remove the back glass door and move it so much the old holes didn't match up and he just filled them up with silicone. He said that leers quality had gone down and almost every cap required cutting and grinding. I should have sent it back but I couldn't wait another 4-6 weeks to get another one. I would go with ARE if I was doing it again my friend got one on his 15 and it went right on.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:08 AM
qq11
New User
That is too bad about the poor fit. This is my fourth Leer cap since 2003 and I never experienced fit issues. The new one on my F350 (pictured above) required zero cutting or modification. The wiring/prep took the installer about 1.5 hours, and then about 15 minutes to set the cap on and attach. I don't believe that, generally speaking, ARE is any better than Leer or that Leer is better than ARE. Both the ARE and Leer dealer told me the same when I asked. If anything, I recall something about the ARE bases being not formed/manufactured as solidly as the Leer, but don't quote me on that.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 AM
maypo59
Tuned
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Just ordered a ARE "V" yesterday, 2 weeks they say.. We have a CCSB in Ruby Red.. hope it looks as good in person as it does in my mind.. LOL

Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Offshore530
Senior User
I can say that I could go thru a car wash with the cap and never got a drop of water in. I can't say that with the backflip.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:10 PM
dtrentr
New User
Would you be so kind to post the height of the camper with and without the rack bars? My CCLB is supposed to come in the next day or two and I'll be shopping for a cap. My garage door is 8 foot and "Sylvester" will need to live inside.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Navydocsuperduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by qq11
That's awesome Navydoc, congrats on the cap. I got the slider rear window, but not removable. I wanted the doughnut, but the cap installer said that they scratch up the glass too much so I opted out. In retrospect I kind of wish that I went for it; at the end of the day, what do I care if the glass is scratched up a bit?

I have the power rear slider on the truck so it would be nice to weatherproof the cap-slider connection a bit. Maybe I can rig something up with EPDM/rubber roofing. Or maybe better: to protect the glass from the doughnut, why not just apply a strip of clear film (like the clear bra material I have read about on this site) or vinyl, or even a few layers of masking tape? That should take care of the scratching issue, right?

Did you a get a toolbox or rack on the cap? I got the rack but no other add-ons. I plan to build a shelf of some sort, accessible from the window awnings, to act as a toolbox.
I was thinking the same thing as far as a film or "clear tint" to protect from scratches. I am also going to go with a Decked or truck vault system for storage. mainly cause I don't want to climb up in there to get to my tools, tow straps etc... maybe if I had one of those short bed types.. LOL I believe both systems are under 12"s tall, so I should have room for my Dogs. I spoke with Decked and they are still in R&D stage for the '17 long beds. should be done right around tax return time!

Quick Reply: Any pics of '17 with topper or cap. Leer, ARE, etc..