Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Paul M.
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I torqued all the pressure plate bolts to 29ft/lbs and got the master to slave line back on. I'm not going to take it out for a test drive because it's a snow/rain mix out and the road is icy so not ideal conditions to check a slipping clutch when the wheels can't grab solid, plus I haven't put the front driveshaft back on yet so no 4x4. Ill take it out tomorrow night.

What is the minimum thickness for the flywheel? Another question I should have asked before it was all together....

Old 01-09-2017, 11:28 PM
BTFordGuy302
Senior User
Originally Posted by Paul M.
I torqued all the pressure plate bolts to 29ft/lbs and got the master to slave line back on. I'm not going to take it out for a test drive because it's a snow/rain mix out and the road is icy so not ideal conditions to check a slipping clutch when the wheels can't grab solid, plus I haven't put the front driveshaft back on yet so no 4x4. Ill take it out tomorrow night.

What is the minimum thickness for the flywheel? Another question I should have asked before it was all together....
that I don't know but you could measure yours without pulling the transmission, remove the starter, that'll give you room to fit a gauge in there.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you for the advice.

The slave is retracting all the way-that was one of my first thoughts so I did what you said and I also tried to push it back with a screwdriver (gently).
My next concern is that the flywheel is too thing after being ground and the disc springs are resting on the flywheel bolts and holding the disc slightly off the flywheel.
I haven't had a chance to torque the pressure plate down a little more-I plan on getting to it tonight.
If the clutch disc was being held by the flywheel bolts, it would be rattling horribly when you pushed the clutch.

They would have to grind a tremendous amount off to get the disc near the flywheel bolts. Should have only taken .020 or .030 at most to get it to clean up. That should not create any kind of problem.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 372 Likes on 285 Posts
My next concern is that the flywheel is too thin
​​​​​​​You would have the opposite problem if it was too thin. Since the whole clutch, pressure plate assembly BOLTS TOO the flywheel, it would effectively hold it away from the throwout bearing and slave. So when you push the pedal in, the clutch doesn't fully release...if at all.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Paul M.
New User
Originally Posted by Mudsport96
You would have the opposite problem if it was too thin. Since the whole clutch, pressure plate assembly BOLTS TOO the flywheel, it would effectively hold it away from the throwout bearing and slave. So when you push the pedal in, the clutch doesn't fully release...if at all.
Sorry for taking so long to reply-I didn't have a chance to get to the truck. Ok, that makes senses about the flywheel. So I torqued the pressure plate bolts to 29lbs and took it out for a spin and it seems like its slipping worse! I'm at a loss-Do those bolts need to be tighter? What else am I missing?

Old 01-17-2017, 12:44 AM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't think i would go any tighter.
have you double checked that ...
a) you ordered the right parts ?
b)you received the right parts ?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Something else is wrong. Tightening the bolts should have no ill effects on the operation of the clutch, unless they were really loose before. Just a few added ft/lbs should not change anything. 5-10 ft/lbs would have been enough to pull the pressure plate tight with the flywheel. The added torque over that was enough to stretch the bolts to hold them tight.

Either the throw out bearing is riding the clutch, you have the wrong disc(too thin), or the pressure plate was constructed improperly.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Paul M.
New User
Originally Posted by joey2fords
i don't think i would go any tighter.
have you double checked that ...
a) you ordered the right parts ?
b)you received the right parts ?
I did match the part number on the slave box to the invoice, but there was no number on the cylinder itself. I don't recall if I checked the other parts to the invoice, I will check them when I get home. Unfortunately I won't be able to look at the installed parts for a number.

I'm starting to think that even though I checked it, the slave isn't retracting all the way, so I will look at that again tonight. Anything else jumping out at anyone?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Paul M.
New User
Originally Posted by Freightrain
Something else is wrong. Tightening the bolts should have no ill effects on the operation of the clutch, unless they were really loose before. Just a few added ft/lbs should not change anything. 5-10 ft/lbs would have been enough to pull the pressure plate tight with the flywheel. The added torque over that was enough to stretch the bolts to hold them tight.

Either the throw out bearing is riding the clutch, you have the wrong disc(too thin), or the pressure plate was constructed improperly.
i am going to look at the throw out bearing again and check my install as best I can without dropping the trans again because I'm going on the premise that I am missing something rather than a defective part. I base this on Relative experience and expertise- I've done 3 clutch jobs in my garage in 25+ years and they manufacture 1000s weekly on fairly precise equipment.