2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 F350 Crank Limit Exceeded

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:02 PM
neal222
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 F350 Crank Limit Exceeded

Has anyone ran into the crank limit exceeded alarm on the 2017's? I'm in Oklahoma and my truck isn't wanting to start and I threw this alarm.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:53 AM
CowFarmer
New User
Having the same trouble in ND this morning. It reset after we left it for a bit. Trying to figure out if there is a quicker way to reset it faster also. -10 here , our diesel is supposed to be good to -30. Is it cold in OK and are you on straight #2? Trying to guess if it's gelled or we have another issue going on. 2017 with 275 miles on it.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:00 PM
CowFarmer
New User
Dealer said the starter has to cool down on its own or it has to be reset with the dealer computer to get it back quicker. Just got a call back from them.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:49 PM
neal222
New User
Mine reset & cranked. It was -10 last night. I was told to clear any snow or ice that was on the front end that could possibly restrict air flow. It fired right off after I did

Old 01-07-2017, 01:08 PM
elemint
Elder User
How many miles have you driven? Might be a new anti global warming program so you don't drive too much each day.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:33 PM
neal222
New User
I've got 1500 miles on it.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:51 PM
CowFarmer
New User
We plugged it in for a couple hours and it fired up right away now. There's no snow or ice on it at all with just 275 miles on it. We're thinking the block was just too cold and the glow plug light was only on for a couple seconds. I'm wondering if there will be a re-flash in the near future to let it cycle the glow plugs longer? Or it has something else going on with below zero weather.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
That's odd...I've not heard of people getting a 6.7L truck started before. My '11 started at -10* without issue.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:56 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Those temperatures should not affect a 6.7 I'm betting you all have a case of fuel jelling. Most people don't understand you must add the anti gel before the cold days you can't just added it to the tank and hope it gets around. A simple method is to add at 1/2 tank fueling prior too cold weather.
I personally used Power Service the white bottle but, you may use whenever brand you prefer like Ford's PM23A anti gel. Also remember when it's going to be 25 below you could bump up dosage 8 ounces don't be afraid to put in 12 ounces

PS This morning in upstate NY -14 F air temperature truck started 2 seconds not plugged in no electric on job site take care

Old 01-08-2017, 05:14 PM
CowFarmer
New User
Radium, this is a new 2017 and it's running the same fuel as our other four various model year 6.7 pickups. So I don't think we had gelled fuel, since after the block heater was plugged in ,we had no other issues with the 2017 after it did start. In theory the fuel we are running at our site is supposed to be good to -30. But anything is possible.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:44 PM
from the rock
New User
well i was in -40 c weather today mine started fine was not plug in

Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 PM
CowFarmer
New User
Good to hear of one firing up in the extreme cold unplugged.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:09 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
If you have push-button start, it is hard to cycle the glow plugs. The way to do it is put foot on brake, hit start, then after about 2 seconds, take your foot off the brake. It will say Start Cancelled. Repeat process. Of course, if you wait too long, the engine will crank.

That's funny the system makes you wait. Watch some online videos of 7.3's and 6.0's attempting to start in brutal cold...those guys must crank the starter for two minutes straight!

Mine started fine at -10F earlier in December without being plugged in, but I don't think of that as *really* cold. I did dump some Ford anti-gel in it.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:51 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CowFarmer
Radium, this is a new 2017 and it's running the same fuel as our other four various model year 6.7 pickups. So I don't think we had gelled fuel, since after the block heater was plugged in ,we had no other issues with the 2017 after it did start. In theory the fuel we are running at our site is supposed to be good to -30. But anything is possible.
Totally understand what you're saying on our farm many time one of the tractors will run fine while the other one fueled out of the same tank moments later will acts up in the cold. I believe Just strictly a bad batch of fuel the Ford anti gel is your best solution of never having an issue just added a few days before the cold strikes usually up here I just add anti gel the months of January February march. Your truck being new you don't have to worry about filtered or do you ?? most people don't understand it is a big problem in the cold with a high mileage filter obstructing flow. However it won't be the first time I've had to replace a filter sooner because of a dirty batch of fuel which can clog even a new filter causing issues with flow characteristics due to extreme cold in the summer months it would never matter but, the problem gets amplified in the cold if it occurs again and again it might be worth looking into. Coworker truck exhibited this last year only had about 800 miles on the filter was causing a low pressure issue just something to think about I know the price has increase quite significantly on the new filters but it will be cheaper than get stranded on the side of the road sometimes can even be life threatening take care

Old 01-18-2017, 03:50 PM
CowFarmer
New User
Originally Posted by radium
Totally understand what you're saying on our farm many time one of the tractors will run fine while the other one fueled out of the same tank moments later will acts up in the cold. I believe Just strictly a bad batch of fuel the Ford anti gel is your best solution of never having an issue just added a few days before the cold strikes usually up here I just add anti gel the months of January February march. Your truck being new you don't have to worry about filtered or do you ?? most people don't understand it is a big problem in the cold with a high mileage filter obstructing flow. However it won't be the first time I've had to replace a filter sooner because of a dirty batch of fuel which can clog even a new filter causing issues with flow characteristics due to extreme cold in the summer months it would never matter but, the problem gets amplified in the cold if it occurs again and again it might be worth looking into. Coworker truck exhibited this last year only had about 800 miles on the filter was causing a low pressure issue just something to think about I know the price has increase quite significantly on the new filters but it will be cheaper than get stranded on the side of the road sometimes can even be life threatening take care
yep totally hear ya there. Current update on the truck is waiting for reply from Ford. It won't start below zero and it isn't throwing anything for codes when plugged into the dealer computer.

Quick Reply: 2017 F350 Crank Limit Exceeded