2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Top retractable covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:37 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top retractable covers

I'm new to purchasing tonneau covers, but I'm looking at a retractable version and wondering what the best options are for brands and features. The area where I live, security isn't a huge issue. I want it to lock but nobody's gonna spend a great deal of time trying to get into it. If I have an open bed then maybe but not to worried if I have a cover. I like the idea of it not blocking the window while retracted and want something lockable. What are some good options to look at?

Old 01-04-2017, 09:32 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How will you be using your bed? I was between Pace Edwards, Truck Covers and Peragon. I opted to move forward with Truck Covers as I could easily add a tool box on top of the retractable cover and you really don't see it from within the cab. The Peragon was a great value for the money but in my opinion after researching when folding, it took up more bed space than a canister would although you can completely remove it from the bed easily. A canister was also nice when I came to what Truck Covers USA provided as it takes limited space but is not one which can easily be removed.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:55 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
I won't be using a tool box and most of the time it will probably be open I'm guessing. I just want to secure tools and valuables from a quick reach for the most part.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:12 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Originally Posted by 347Flatty
I won't be using a tool box and most of the time it will probably be open I'm guessing. I just want to secure tools and valuables from a quick reach for the most part.
IMHO Peragon is probably the best bang for the buck and will keep it secure. You can also color match.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:36 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
Are most of the retractable pretty tough and mostly secure? How about retrax or gatortrax? If this has been beaten to death already maybe someone can point me in the right direction!

Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 PM
hollapm
Tuned
I personally want an aluminum cover as I plan to keep it on for 10+ years but as you may have noticed there are dozens of tonneau tops. They have solid fiberglass which is very secure but in my opinion makes it more difficult to use the bed. They have fold up covers which when completely folded can block the rear window or you can go Peragon which folds into the bed. The fold top covers are typically easy to remove. You also have roll up covers, some go into a canister and others roll on top of the bed. The ones that roll on top are vinyl covered aluminum and are secure but I didn't want vinyl. The best question to ask is how do you plan to use your bed. If it's only that your looking for security than the hard tonneau may fit your needs best. If it's cost than the vinyl covered ones may do.
Also if you do a quick search of tonneau covers on the 2017 SuperDuty site you'll find a lot of info.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:30 PM
chowdersf
New User
if you have a fifth wheel hitch can you still use a Peragon cover?

Old 01-04-2017, 11:41 PM
ysgi
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by hollapm
How will you be using your bed? I was between Pace Edwards, Truck Covers and Peragon. I opted to move forward with Truck Covers as I could easily add a tool box on top of the retractable cover and you really don't see it from within the cab. The Peragon was a great value for the money but in my opinion after researching when folding, it took up more bed space than a canister would although you can completely remove it from the bed easily. A canister was also nice when I came to what Truck Covers USA provided as it takes limited space but is not one which can easily be removed.
I really liked the Truck Covers USA because of the toolbox, but damn the $$$. Was yours almost $3k ???

So I think I can live without the toolbox and go with the RollBak.

Canister isn't much of an issue since I FINALLY have an 8' bed.

Still deciding tough.

-ysgi

Old 01-04-2017, 11:49 PM
DingusKhan
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the Pace Edwards electric on two trucks in the past. They were great when they were new, but after a few years they quit working. They just drag in a chanel and it got dirty. Ended up taking both off after about 5-6 years.
I just bought two Retrax Pros, one for my dad's new F150 and one for my F350 which I'm waiting on. I installed dad's last week, pretty easy install. We got the electric and the wiring was by far the most work. In other words, easy. It opens and closes MUCH faster than the Pace Edwards but the best part is it runs on sealed roller bearings. It does cost more so I'm hoping it will last for many years. Time will tell.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:25 AM
TNdisco
New User
I have had the retrax pro on the last two trucks, I loved it! so easy to roll, the canister takes up a little space in the front but is not an issue for me.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:03 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
I have the Pace Edwards switchblade. It made of aluminum with vinyl bonded to the top.
The canister is small, its fairly easy to remove and when retracted you can see the gooseneck hitch with my CHMSL camera

The only thing I wish it did was to lock at different positions. For example if I was pulling my fiver I would like to be able to lock it in front of the hitch so as to keep tools, etc from getting wet.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 AM
ROADRUNNER1
Senior User
I got the retrax pro mx for my 2017. I like it great so far. You can open it to any spot you want and lock it there. It feels very solid, like I can't picture it wearing out. It's very simple to install also. I almost forgot, it's fully compatible with the stop light camera looking down to my gooseneck ball.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:05 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reviews on Amazon give the Retrax horrible reviews for longevity.

I am in the market as well and have subbed this thread.

I keep my trucks for long periods and plan to keep this one for 8- 10 years before replacing.

Curious to see what others here have found with longevity on some of the brands that are out there.

For the price, you could get 2.5 Peragons for the the cost of one Retrax.

This will probably be the direction I go. It seems like a good kit for the cash.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:02 AM
hollapm
Tuned
Originally Posted by chowdersf
if you have a fifth wheel hitch can you still use a Peragon cover?
It has to be completely open to use it but yes. If you do a search for Peragon you will see a couple of them installed.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:02 PM
ROADRUNNER1
Senior User
Originally Posted by shaneinga
Reviews on Amazon give the Retrax horrible reviews for longevity.

I am in the market as well and have subbed this thread.

I keep my trucks for long periods and plan to keep this one for 8- 10 years before replacing.

Curious to see what others here have found with longevity on some of the brands that are out there.

For the price, you could get 2.5 Peragons for the the cost of one Retrax.

This will probably be the direction I go. It seems like a good kit for the cash.
I just looked on Amazon and saw 4-5 stars on the Retrax Pro. Yes it is more expensive but if you saw it in person, you would understand why, it is tough and very easy to operate. It just slides to whatever position you want it in. That Peragon seems fine for sure, but it is not the ease and convience that a Retrax is. I'm not even sure I could reach the Peragon from the ground and operate it. With the MX matte finish, it looks outstanding and won't show scratches much.

Quick Reply: Top retractable covers