Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Don't Believe Everything You Read - From FORD

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:40 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Don't Believe Everything You Read - From FORD

Got a call today from my dealer today. The 2017 Lariat that I ordered in October is in, when would you want to pick it up?
Well, before I drive 30 miles I just want to verify one thing. I checked the Ford ETIS site after I got the VIN and it shows that there is no bedliner. I ordered the factory spray-in bedliner.

Hold on, I'll check and call you back.

Oh! The factory had a problem and they can't provide spray-in bedliners, but don't worry, we called Line-X and they can squeeze you in in about a week. They're all backed up from the holidays, you know. You can pick the truck up tomorrow, bring it back in a week or so and pick it back up after Line-x is done.

OK. What about the hard tonneau cover I ordered?

Oh! That can't be installed until the bedliner cures for 24 hours. But that will be on a Saturday, probably, so it can't be done until the following Monday. But you can just bring it back again.

Seriously?

Keep the truck. Call me when you're ready to sell me the complete truck that I ordered.

Probably another two weeks or so.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:25 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Wonder if dealer ever heard of, "Time is Money". Yeah...as long as it is your money/time they don't mind.

IMHO...I'd be happy to wait since you'll be getting the Line-X anyway. Much better bedliner.

But...I agree with you. Have them do what needs be done...and then take delivery.

biz

Old 01-04-2017, 02:30 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
I would just wait for it to be fully ready for pickup before I went to get it. Even if they gave you a loaner, it would be a pain to keep going back there.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:06 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
I waited 3 months, I can wait two more weeks. Interestingly, once I told the dealer to keep it until it was complete, they called back to say they're pushing the Line-X shop to get it in earlier. Guess they want their money and the value (to them) of my trade-in is falling.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
That's ridiculous. Common sense should have been used by the dealership. They should have called you to let you know about the bedliner issue, told you how they were going to fix the issue, and told you they would call when the truck was ready as ordered by you.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:42 PM
benwalt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a time when I would have said, "What's the big deal? Go get your truck and enjoy driving it and get the other stuff when it comes in."

Only I followed that advice on my current truck, and as soon as I handed the dealer their money and drove off the lot they forgot about me. I didn't get my missing stuff until after I posted a negative review on them. I can confirm though, that doing that gets you a call and your stuff the very next morning.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:39 PM
adaycj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your power to complain and refuse delivery is gone once you sign and pay. I'd wait too. I'd guess that they were trying to get you into your new truck as soon as possible since you have been waiting.

The last thing they want it someone finding out that the dealer has had their truck for a week and has been driving it around town to finish up the details that Ford couldn't. That would also make for an interesting post topic.

I hope you new truck is awesome as soon as its really ready.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:11 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
That's ridiculous. Common sense should have been used by the dealership. They should have called you to let you know about the bedliner issue, told you how they were going to fix the issue, and told you they would call when the truck was ready as ordered by you.
Yes, exactly. Issues happen; own them and fix them. Don't try to sweep it under the table.

But I agree with earlier posts, you're getting a better deal with the Line-X. It's a much better product. Make them get it perfect, then hand over the money.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
I also want the paperwork from Line-X. The factory liner would have had the 3/36 warranty. Line-X is lifetime.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is no issue at the factory regarding F-150 spray-in bedliners.

The issues in this thread isn't Ford at all..... it's the dealership, specifically the sales consultant and his/her sales manager that worked up the deal.

Those two forgot to order the bedliner with the truck. Simple as that, they didn't put the order code in, that's why the truck came in without a factory spray in liner. Those two also forgot about the tonneau cover.

That is why you got the call saying your truck is ready. They didn't remember a single thing about the liner and tonneau until you reminded them.

Important question to the OP: Did they talk about the price of adding the spray in after the fact? Because if you asked to order it at factory and it wasn't, technically you have not paid for a bedliner yet. Was the tonneau cover already paid for and included in the deal? Did you get a copy of the "We-Owe" (or any other paperwork showing that you paid for the tonneau in the deal)?

Old 01-05-2017, 10:56 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Nope, don't think so. When I placed my order in October, The dealer gave me a copy of the printout from the dealership ordering system which showed Option Code 96W - spray in bed-liner. Three days later I got a phone call from the dealership and was told that before the factory would accept the order I had to verify the option list. We went down the list option by option and I gave my final approval.

As for the tonneau cover; the Ford site lists it as a dealer installed option. The order printout lists it as a dealer installed option (as well as the bed divider that I ordered) and the dealer called me 2 weeks before delivery to estimate that the truck was on its way because the parts department had received the cover and divider marked for my VIN. This I was aware of and had no problem with.

All of these options are listed on and paid for on my sales contract. Interestingly, Ford charges $495 for the spray-in bedliner. That's what Line-x charges for their basic liner. Actually, I probably got a better deal. The factory liner would have fallen under the 3/36 warranty. Line-x is lifetime.

After waiting three months, the anticipation has died. When it's ready, it's ready. Next week; the week after; don't really care at this point.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, just wanted to make sure everything was straight on your end and that you weren't in for any surprises.

Enjoy the truck when you do finally get it

Old 01-06-2017, 05:41 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
Nope, don't think so. When I placed my order in October, The dealer gave me a copy of the printout from the dealership ordering system which showed Option Code 96W - spray in bed-liner. Three days later I got a phone call from the dealership and was told that before the factory would accept the order I had to verify the option list. We went down the list option by option and I gave my final approval.

As for the tonneau cover; the Ford site lists it as a dealer installed option. The order printout lists it as a dealer installed option (as well as the bed divider that I ordered) and the dealer called me 2 weeks before delivery to estimate that the truck was on its way because the parts department had received the cover and divider marked for my VIN. This I was aware of and had no problem with.

All of these options are listed on and paid for on my sales contract. Interestingly, Ford charges $495 for the spray-in bedliner. That's what Line-x charges for their basic liner. Actually, I probably got a better deal. The factory liner would have fallen under the 3/36 warranty. Line-x is lifetime.

After waiting three months, the anticipation has died. When it's ready, it's ready. Next week; the week after; don't really care at this point.
Kuddos for your patience sir. I hope she turns out to be all that you've anticipated.

On a side note, which engine did you choose?

Old 01-06-2017, 11:28 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tseekins
Kuddos for your patience sir. I hope she turns out to be all that you've anticipated.

On a side note, which engine did you choose?
3.5 EB + 10 speed + 3.55 e-locker + 4X4

If you're gonna do it, DO IT!

Old 01-06-2017, 04:42 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
3.5 EB + 10 speed + 3.55 e-locker + 4X4

If you're gonna do it, DO IT!
I was hoping you'd say that!!! I can't wait to read your initial impressions of the combo and hopefully you'll share your long term experience with us as well.

Quick Reply: Don't Believe Everything You Read - From FORD