Advise & help needed... In-dash stereo swap with navi/gps

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 PM
shurik74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise & help needed... In-dash stereo swap with navi/gps

Howdy FTE family...

While I'm finishing up my EX re-build, front end conversion & bulletproofing, time to start thinking about replacing stock stereo unit with something newer and alarm, don't want my Ex to be stolen. I did try to browse this forum for any info but there is not much DIY or what people have done already. (or i'm having issues with search).

Here is what I'm looking for
  • Alarm system + remote start
  • Do we have any reliable alarm systems that you can recommend based on your experience or maybe simple hidden breaker install to kill alternator(s).
  • Remote start?! Do I really need one in CA?! probably not
  • In-dash navi + stereo

Last item is most complicated to choose from. I've never needed one before, I don't know anything besides reading reviews on specific models. I did check Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV web site that seems like a good one with several models available for Ex. Just trying to get feedback & help from all you before I pull the trigger. Here is what I prefer to have:
  1. AM/FM - I don't care
  2. Bluetooth for phone - Yes
  3. CD player - Don't need
  4. External USB port for smartphone, ipod etc
  5. Built-in Navigation - Yes & No
  6. Rear camera HU ports (did I call right 'HU'?)
  7. Monitor vital systems (if any do it)
  8. ApplePlay units seems like don't have ability to mirror or pull up Waze app

Any help would be really appreciated... thanks in advance

Old 01-03-2017, 10:38 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
I'm a fan of the pioneer avic 4xxx, 7xxx, and 8xxx series.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
I just installed a Joying head unit. Model US-JY-UL135N2.

https://www.carjoying.com/us-warehou...r-gps-rad.html

It will do everything you wanted if you prefer android. I also bought their dashcam, backup cam and OBDII dongle (you need theirs to work). Dongle just came in today. There are some threads here on others who installed other Joying models but their sizes seemed to all be the same. Mine slid right in tightly with no mounts at all. The head unit has the ability to learn your steering wheel buttons on its own with no adapter. Torque will run on it with their dongle which I will try this weekend. It didn't work with my real MX dongle due to password entry conflict. I am very happy with it. I haven't installed the cameras yet as I went on a trip. Looks like this now:

BT my phone to it. WiFi to my home network, hot spot my cell phone to it for internet connectivity anywhere. IGO nav installed as well as Google maps and Google nav online.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:00 AM
shurik74
Senior User
Originally Posted by seijirou
I'm a fan of the pioneer avic 4xxx, 7xxx, and 8xxx series.
Seems like a good choice, a little pricy though. How about navi or software updates?

Originally Posted by lightflyer
I just installed a Joying head unit. Model US-JY-UL135N2.

It will do everything you wanted if you prefer android. I also bought their dashcam, backup cam and OBDII dongle (you need theirs to work). Dongle just came in today. There are some threads here on others who installed other Joying models but their sizes seemed to all be the same. Mine slid right in tightly with no mounts at all. The head unit has the ability to learn your steering wheel buttons on its own with no adapter. Torque will run on it with their dongle which I will try this weekend. It didn't work with my real MX dongle due to password entry conflict. I am very happy with it. I haven't installed the cameras yet as I went on a trip. Looks like this now:

BT my phone to it. WiFi to my home network, hot spot my cell phone to it for internet connectivity anywhere. IGO nav installed as well as Google maps and Google nav online.
Thanks for offering help, really appreciated... The problem is that year ago I switched to iPhone, tired of tweaking, rooting, re-installing firmware Android based phones. Not sure if I want to go back to them yet.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Pioneer sometimes releases firmware updates for free. Navi updates you do have to pay for but not needed often. Probably worth doing once every 3 years and I think it's around $100? I've got a ford focus with factory navigation and it's the same process/company to get the update. I think you are covered on updates for free for the 1st year too.

I use android auto a lot for navigation, not the built in one much. They both have their pros and cons and I like having the choice between them. It's also apple carplay compatible and if you like carplay you might consider the 4xxx series which does not have built-in nav so it's much less expensive.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Viper5706 with smart start is a good choice. Allows you to lock or unlock car from anywhere in the world and alarm will ring your phone even if out of range of the key fob. Also tracks the car's location and can alert you if it's moved.

Im also a fan of the android radios and working on an install as we speak. Joying has good reviews, very good customer support, and seems to be advancing the functionality of these chinese units.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 AM
shurik74
Senior User
Originally Posted by seijirou
Pioneer sometimes releases firmware updates for free. Navi updates you do have to pay for but not needed often. Probably worth doing once every 3 years and I think it's around $100? I've got a ford focus with factory navigation and it's the same process/company to get the update. I think you are covered on updates for free for the 1st year too.

I use android auto a lot for navigation, not the built in one much. They both have their pros and cons and I like having the choice between them. It's also apple carplay compatible and if you like carplay you might consider the 4xxx series which does not have built-in nav so it's much less expensive.
4xxx model you meant this one?
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX

Originally Posted by 530ktmpilot
Viper5706 with smart start is a good choice. Allows you to lock or unlock car from anywhere in the world and alarm will ring your phone even if out of range of the key fob. Also tracks the car's location and can alert you if it's moved.

Im also a fan of the android radios and working on an install as we speak. Joying has good reviews, very good customer support, and seems to be advancing the functionality of these chinese units.
Viper5706... All the features you listed require subscription? $$$?

Android... You guys got me thinking, since Ex is not going to be my daily driver vehicle, why not

Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 AM
shurik74
Senior User
Does my 2003 Ex Bauer Edition has 'double-DIN dash opening'?

Old 01-04-2017, 01:42 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Almost. You have to trim a little at the top and bottom to get a true double din opening. Most of us use a dremel or similar cutting tool. Easy does it and go slow.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:01 AM
lightflyer
Senior User
I have a Nexus 6P from Google so all my updates come directly from them quickly. I think updating the headunit itself is frowned upon as some things are proprietary.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:46 AM
shurik74
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Almost. You have to trim a little at the top and bottom to get a true double din opening. Most of us use a dremel or similar cutting tool. Easy does it and go slow.
Good info, thanks...

Originally Posted by lightflyer
I have a Nexus 6P from Google so all my updates come directly from them quickly. I think updating the headunit itself is frowned upon as some things are proprietary.
Thanks

Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by shurik74
[*]Do we have any reliable alarm systems that you can recommend based on your experience or maybe simple hidden breaker install to kill alternator(s).
The Ravelco anti-theft device gets good reviews from owners, but if someone really wants to steal your truck it can always be towed.

Car alarms and immobilizers are still only a deterrent for thieves.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:12 PM
shurik74
Senior User
Originally Posted by sessland
The Ravelco anti-theft device gets good reviews from owners, but if someone really wants to steal your truck it can always be towed.

Car alarms and immobilizers are still only a deterrent for thieves.
I agree... towed...

Old 01-04-2017, 01:45 PM
gbraat
New User
I did lots of research, but didn't do the work myself - here's what I did in December... (Approx $6,600 Canadian plus installation). And yes, the car alarm already paid off once.

Pioneer AVIC8200NEX
- Metra 955817 Dash-kit
- Focal EK 21 Power Cable
- Focal ER 3 Amp Cable
- Focal BAM Acoustic Insul'n
- Focal 6.5” 2-way PS 165 FX
- Focal 570 AC 5”x7”
- Focal 25 A4 10” Subwoofers
- Bassworx WBS21034 Box
- Clarion XC6620 1000W Amp
- Clarion XC6120 650W Amp
- Axxess ASWC 1 Adaptor
- Metra 70-1771 Harness
- 14250 Speaker Wire x 120’
- PDFS-2 Power Dist'n Block
- Rydeen CM2 T150 HD Back-up Camera
- 2 Way Solace Starter / Alarm

What I would say made the biggest difference is the Focal Acoustic Insulation on all four door panels plus the rear barn doors. Although I only used a free noise meter, my road noise at highway speeds dropped from 85 decibels to 62! Even the doors sound solid when you close them and you can actually carry on a conversation without raising your voice. I think without this, your sound system isn't going to sound near as good.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:07 PM
shurik74
Senior User
Originally Posted by gbraat
I did lots of research, but didn't do the work myself - here's what I did in December... (Approx $6,600 Canadian plus installation). And yes, the car alarm already paid off once.

Pioneer AVIC8200NEX
- Metra 955817 Dash-kit
- Focal EK 21 Power Cable
- Focal ER 3 Amp Cable
- Focal BAM Acoustic Insul'n
- Focal 6.5” 2-way PS 165 FX
- Focal 570 AC 5”x7”
- Focal 25 A4 10” Subwoofers
- Bassworx WBS21034 Box
- Clarion XC6620 1000W Amp
- Clarion XC6120 650W Amp
- Axxess ASWC 1 Adaptor
- Metra 70-1771 Harness
- 14250 Speaker Wire x 120’
- PDFS-2 Power Dist'n Block
- Rydeen CM2 T150 HD Back-up Camera
- 2 Way Solace Starter / Alarm

What I would say made the biggest difference is the Focal Acoustic Insulation on all four door panels plus the rear barn doors. Although I only used a free noise meter, my road noise at highway speeds dropped from 85 decibels to 62! Even the doors sound solid when you close them and you can actually carry on a conversation without raising your voice. I think without this, your sound system isn't going to sound near as good.
Wow... that's a big project with not small investment! Thanks for sharing this info. I will definitely save this for future 'ToDo' list. I still haven't drove my Ex yet

Quick Reply: Advise & help needed... In-dash stereo swap with navi/gps