1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

KING PINS

Old 01-03-2017, 09:12 PM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KING PINS

Is there a way to tell if the King pins are good or bad with the I-Beams off the truck?

Old 01-03-2017, 09:24 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 72CC428
Is there a way to tell if the King pins are good or bad with the I-Beams off the truck?
Mount the i-beam and spindle in a vise and check for play. More better if a wheel can be mounted and wobbled to and fro.

If any doubt, replace them with metal bushings reamed for fit.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:03 PM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Mount the i-beam and spindle in a vise and check for play. More better if a wheel can be mounted and wobbled to and fro.

If any doubt, replace them with metal bushings reamed for fit.
Thanks HIO. I figured I probably can't since I have everything apart but just trying to move the spindle on the vertical axis it doesn't budge. I turns nicely but like I said, probably need more leverage / force then I can generate to really tell.

How much should it cost me to have new ones installed since I have both beams out? Just ball park if you can. Thanks, Todd.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:11 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Thanks HIO. I figured I probably can't since I have everything apart but just trying to move the spindle on the vertical axis it doesn't budge. I turns nicely but like I said, probably need more leverage / force then I can generate to really tell.

How much should it cost me to have new ones installed since I have both beams out? Just ball park if you can. Thanks, Todd.
I delivered my spindles and $70 kingpin kit from NPD to a local shop and they installed, reamed the metal bushings, and fitted the kingpins for $95 of shop labor.

They appreciate the courtesy of dealing with clean parts.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:47 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The worst part is getting the old pins out, usually. If you don't have the tools, it is better to have the shop press them apart and then install/hone the bushings in the spindle.

The new pin will slide into the axle with little fuss. The hard part is getting the crusty old pin out.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If the kingpins/spindles and wheels were still on the truck, you would grab the wheel at 12:00 o' clock and 6:00 o' clock and try and move the wheel inwards and outwards to check for wear/play in the pins/bushings. You would also grab the wheel at 9:00 o' clock and 3:00 o'clock and try to move it side to side.

Some old pins will drive out without too much fuss. Others are stubborn and need to be pressed out.

After I had pressed the old kingpins and bushings out and was pressing the new bronze bushings in with an insertion tool I had made.

New bushings pressed in.

I had borrowed an adjustable piloted reamer from a local engine shop to ream the new bushings.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:51 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You may want to change pivot bushings too, if so make sure you don't mess up the metal shells. You need them in there for the replacement.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:56 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mofoco1
You may want to change pivot bushings too, if so make sure you don't mess up the metal shells. You need them in there for the replacement.
If you're going to install polyurethane I-beam bushings, you need to leave the thin metal shell from the old rubber bushings in place. If you're going to install new rubber bushings, the new rubber bushings will come with the thin metal shell on them.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:52 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
Now he tells me. Yeah I am going to see if the machine shop wants me to get the old rubber out or what.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:35 AM
72CC428
Posting Guru
You're talking about the bushings at the opposite end of the I-beam correct? I already took out the old rubber. I couldn't get the metal shells out. They wouldn't budge.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:04 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
You're talking about the bushings at the opposite end of the I-beam correct? I already took out the old rubber. I couldn't get the metal shells out. They wouldn't budge.
If you're going to replace the rubber bushing with another rubber bushing (a new rubber bushing comes with the thin metal shell installed on it), you can take a hacksaw, slit the old shell, crush the shell inwards and then push it out of the eye in the I-beam. Just don't get crazy with the hacksaw and gouge into the I-beam casting with the saw blade.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:37 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
If the shell in yours is good, leave it in and get the poly ones instead. I bought new ones with the shell and am now having to remove the rubber off new ones so they can be reinstalled the shells for the poly bushings. PITA. I put lighter fluid several times on the rubber today the rubber just fried on the ends after I also drilled into the rubber.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:50 AM
72CC428
Posting Guru
If the shell in yours is good, leave it in and get the poly ones instead. I bought new ones with the shell and am now having to remove the rubber off new ones so they can be reinstalled the shells for the poly bushings. PITA. I put lighter fluid several times on the rubber today the rubber just fried on the ends after I also drilled into the rubber.
Yeah, I drilled the rubber out and then used a razor knife to clean them up. I'm going to get the poly bushings.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:13 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
I have Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings on the '77 F100 disc brake I-beams and radius arms on my truck. The bushings will come with some silicone grease to coat the bushings with. The bushings need to be coated anywhere that they will come in contact with metal, to keep them from squeaking.

If the small packet of grease that comes with the bushings isn't enough to coat them or, you need to reapply grease to them in the future, don't put petroleum based grease on the bushings.

You can use silicone caliper slide grease to coat the bushings. This is what I use. (Versa - Chem Synthetic Caliper Grease p/n 26080.) You can get it at O'Reilly's.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:31 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
I called ES directly. they said to use Marine grease the one thats blue. As per their direction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KING PINS