Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tilt & Slide Seat Latch Inop

Old 01-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 759 Likes on 541 Posts
Tilt & Slide Seat Latch Inop

Super cab passenger seat is supposed to slide to full forward travel position & lock when back is unlatched and tilted to the front.

It will return to the previous position & latch rearward when seat back is returned to upright position.

Unable to locate a fix/repair procedure or image. (Search returns only failing recline issues)

Anyone have tips, advice, links etc before I unbolt it & flop it over for a look?

Thanks

Old 01-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

No help on this latching failure by anyone?

Beuller? Beuller?

Old 01-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

One last bump...

Old 01-07-2017, 07:44 PM
donnor
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take your seats, please...

From your post I am not sure what symptom you are experiencing. These mechanisms (in the Super Cabs and Broncos both) utilize an extra actuating rod to release the position latch on the track and allow it to return to the same position when the seat back is returned rearward and the entire seat is pushed rearward. This actuating rod is held in place on each end with the same type of nylon retainers as are used in the door latch & lock assemblies as well as the tailgate mechanism. I would suspect one of these retainers may have broken and allowed one end of the rod to fall out of its spot. It is also possible the track mechanism may just be occluded with dirt trapped by grease in the track. It would be easiest both to diagnose as well as clean & repair it if you removed the seat from the track.

dn.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks for the response Don.

Originally Posted by donnor
From your post I am not sure what symptom you are experiencing.
Originally Posted by Scndsin
Super cab passenger seat is supposed to slide to full forward travel position & lock when back is unlatched and tilted to the front...

Originally Posted by donnor
...utilize an extra actuating rod to release the position latch on the track and allow it to return to the same position when the seat back is returned rearward and the entire seat is pushed rearward. This actuating rod is held in place on each end with the same type of nylon retainers as are used in the door latch & lock assemblies as well as the tailgate mechanism. I would suspect one of these retainers may have broken and allowed one end of the rod to fall out of its spot...
dn.
^^^

Thanks, this gives me a start with what I'm facing. I am loathe to remove a seat just to find out what is going on with what I can't see & especially if I then find out I can't "fix it" right then & have to put it all back together.

Right now, putting anything in the back involves holding the seat forward with my elbow, although I have recently started keeping a small pair of needle-nosed vice grips to clamp to the rail.

Thanks again. I'll try again to find a exploded diagram.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:52 PM
donnor
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Spring" time in the winter.

Hope the info helps. One other thing that came to mind is that there are various springs that return the levers to their normal positions and if one of those either breaks or an end comes loose from its attachment point that could also produce the situation you describe.

dn.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Just touching base & updating.

I finally got around to pulling the passenger seat & bolting temporarily to a bench where I could work the mechanism & observe.

No nylon (broken) rod retainers were found (There is one rod on the side, intact), which I had scavenged a few at the yard.

There is however two different sets of slide tracks stacked on top each other utilizing the same two sets of springs crossing in an X & pivoting catches.

On set of tracks for for & aft adjustment, one set slide freely for rear seat access.

Holding extra tension on one spring with the seat tilted, seemed to cause the seat to stay forward as it should, so I bent it over a bit where it hooked to it's mounting hole.

I got it back bolted in & the first time I cycled it, spring broke... but seat stayed forward...

Just couldn't adjust seat fore & aft.

However, NOW if I pull on the end on the end of broken spring & F/A seat adjust lever at the same time. you can adjust the seat fore & aft.

And the seat will stay forward when the back is released & slid forward for access.

Perhaps eventually I'll find some documentation to detail the what & where of how this actually is intended to work and if so, I'll update for Super Cab owners.