2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Canadian 2017 F-350 SD Lemon - need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 01:43 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Crystal was only for the US side and she's no longer around. It is someone else now but I don't notice them on the boards as much.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:18 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Sleepyguy, I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

It sounds like your truck has certainly had more problems than most of our 2017's. It also sounds like the dealer has corrected some of them.

Based on what you write, you have 2 outstanding issues: the dashboard center screen sometimes crashes, not allowing you to use phone/navi/audio, plus the reverse camera does not function properly at all times.

You also have a locking problem.

It does not surprise me the Ford techs do not know how to resolve the center screen problem. The symptoms indicate the problem could be coming from a few areas.

In order to satisfy the customer, if I were the dealer, I would start by replacing the head unit and screen in the dash. This might cost Ford a little bit of money, but it would probably resolve all of those issues, without wasting tons of time trying to troubleshoot an individual problem.

Next, I would replace the body control module and do whatever reprogramming was necessary. This should solve the locking problem.

I know the dealer hates the "throwing parts at it" scenario, because Ford does not like to spend unnecessary money, but it needs to be fixed quickly. I would demand these two things be replaced.

It sounds like mechanically, the truck has been fine. All problems have a solution.

At least they are lending you a 4x4 F-150...around here, we typically get a Focus...even if you tell them you need your truck for towing. I was offered a new Focus or a 2011 F-250...which had its own problems.

Best of luck.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 AM
railrode1
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone tried a battery disconnect reset? The one that erases codes. That's the first thing I'm going to do when mine arrives. You can imagine things getting plugged and unplugged during assembly. Like a typical computer will get corrupt over time. Worth a try at least.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:06 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by railrode1
Has anyone tried a battery disconnect reset? The one that erases codes. That's the first thing I'm going to do when mine arrives. You can imagine things getting plugged and unplugged during assembly. Like a typical computer will get corrupt over time. Worth a try at least.
He's had it at the dealers multiple times...you can bet they have read and erased codes.

On new vehicles, hard codes are typically stored on non-volatile memory which means the battery reset may do nothing.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Most of the issues have been solved. While I get that it's frustrating, I would start by leaving those out when telling your story and trying to get results. They clutter the focus. Even if you had a lemon law, issues that are fixed don't factor in other than for days out of service. Also, the screen issues wouldn't count for lemon law either.

The screen issues crop up now and then. It's not easy to trace them down. I had a customer with an Explorer and we had to replace everything once (each part requiring a trip in), then go through and replace one of the parts again to get it fixed. Under warranty, it's a pain, because you can't just do what you think might work, you have to just replace what Ford authorizes you to replace. Also you can't really order in parts you might need, Ford will stick you with them. After all, Ford is the one footing the bill.

The door lock issues is separate IMO. It's not one I have ever seen or heard of so I don't have any insight.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:09 PM
railrode1
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
He's had it at the dealers multiple times...you can bet they have read and erased codes.

On new vehicles, hard codes are typically stored on non-volatile memory which means the battery reset may do nothing.
I wasn't focused on codes. Just referring to the time the power should remain off for it to be an effective system reset. Like at least 10 minutes. Anyways, in today's locomotives, the main computer can have communication issues with other control modules. Most of the time, a full dead power down will remove some of the gremlins.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:43 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by railrode1
I wasn't focused on codes. Just referring to the time the power should remain off for it to be an effective system reset. Like at least 10 minutes. Anyways, in today's locomotives, the main computer can have communication issues with other control modules. Most of the time, a full dead power down will remove some of the gremlins.
Its worth a shot. I'm just assuming that if "module x" cannot communicate with "module y" then it would throw a code which the dealer would read and take appropriate action.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:53 PM
railrode1
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
Its worth a shot. I'm just assuming that if "module x" cannot communicate with "module y" then it would throw a code which the dealer would read and take appropriate action.
I'm giving mine a fresh boot before leaving the dealer. Then I'll let it go from there. I just hope the display issue isn't going to be a common problem.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:02 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
The reason behind the 10 min rule is to clear the latent electrical that hangs on. But as I understand this, it only works on older cars (what ever that is) and on newer models the codes must be cleared with a command from a scanner other wise they remain.

My guess is somewhere around 2009 they changed the way you cleared codes to needing a scanner to do it. This forces you back into the dealer to get the codes cleared (unless you have a scanner that will clear) giving the dealer another chance to sell.

IF you do not want to wait 10 min, then you can take a piece of wire or metal and touch it to the chrome bumper or other metal on the car that is not protected by paint etc and just touch the wire to terra firma (ground) this will pull out the latency...in addition try starting your car and turn on various electrical stuff like radio etc .

Old 01-30-2017, 09:59 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
An update if anyone is interested. The super lemon remains in Fords hands and the field engineer took an educated guess. Replaced the body control module as apparently Ford Flex had this same sort of problem at some point.

A special hot line ticket was created as well.

The BCM removed some of the error codes but not all of them. They have been troubleshooting the new error codes going on two weeks.

Ford is standing their ground on not replacing the vehicle even though it's going on 8 weeks at the shop. Ford Canada customer relations manager is more of a road block now then an aide.

I told ford Canada and the dealership if this is not dealt with emidiatly they will loose a long term customer for life and gain a loud voice who will shout it out on the mountains how horrid ford customer support is.

We shall see. They still can't find nor fix the eltricial issues. Check ground wires again is the solution for the 5th time.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:15 AM
ravill
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ugh...

That just sounds like an awful situation. Good Luck.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:27 AM
17450KR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At this point, I would be in touch with an attorney that specializes in consumer rights/advocacy. There MUST be some Canadian laws that protect the consumer.
But, I also would not be issuing threats to Ford or your dealer. After all, they appear to be working the problem and have pulled in a field engineer to assist. Remember the old saying, 'you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.'
It's Ford corporate that will make the determination to replace your vehicle or refund your money...hence the attorney.

On Edit: If you financed the vehicle, I would also call that institution and tell them what is going on. Maybe they have procedures in place where you can stop making payments until your truck is returned to you from the manufacturer. I don't know...but it would be worth a phone call. I would also call my insurance company and put the truck in "storage". No use paying anymore than you have to for a vehicle you are not driving.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:32 AM
ravill
Senior User
Originally Posted by 17450KR
At this point, I would be in touch with an attorney that specializes in consumer rights/advocacy. There MUST be some Canadian laws that protect the consumer.
But, I also would not be issuing threats to Ford or your dealer. After all, they appear to be working the problem and have pulled in a field engineer to assist. Remember the old saying, 'you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.'
It's Ford corporate that will make the determination to replace your vehicle or refund your money...hence the attorney.

Really, great advice.

I'd just be trying to stay civil when face to face with the dealer, but I'd be googling and talking to some counsel right about now.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
You've got to hit them on a Safety issue. That is where liability/negligence hits Ford in the pocketbook. (that's what its all about to them) Think about that one for a while and I'll bet you can think of how this problem could be dangerous for you and your family.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:52 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have officially lost all respect for Ford Motor company. Latest email from customer relations representive basically stated that despite what Ford has written on the manual and on their website.

Customer satisfaction and safety is not Fords priority.

Hard to think I have owned a Ford of 8 years prior and been happy only to meet a road block. Apparently 7 weeks of troubleshooting is not enough time to warrant looking at replacing a vehicle.

And yes legal is the likes is in the works. Safe to say I will likely be on GMC forums asking questions in the near future.

You would think a large company would stand by their product rather then say we need more time but confident it will be fixed. We are committed to fixing your truck. For months at a time.

Yes I am bitching but my voice will remain loud on the subject.

Quick Reply: Canadian 2017 F-350 SD Lemon - need help