6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

GO Ford!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:41 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Thumbs up GO Ford!!!!

I know this should be in another forum, but dang it - a bunch of us here run blue blood !!!

Ford announced today to NOT build the $1.6 Billion plant in Mexico and instead invest in existing plants in Michigan

A true American Car Company

Last edited by diesel_dan; 01-03-2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: corrected number
Old 01-03-2017, 04:03 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Was glad to hear that as well, regardless of all the tit for tat that goes along with it.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:16 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They didn't do it on their own though, so I wouldn't necessarily be cheering them. Their hand was kind of forced.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:23 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
I watched a Q&A with CEO Mark Fields and he quoted some interesting facts:

Prior to this move, which will add another 700 US jobs, Ford is by far the largest employer of US workers for US automobile manufacturing. 80% of the vehicles they sell in the US are produced in the US.

This move was not pushed on Ford by Trump, though there was some interesting remarks about whether he thought some of Trump's trade policies would come true...

Good company....

Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 292 Likes on 105 Posts
Another company that is insourcing - good to hear

Old 01-03-2017, 06:13 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I watched a Q&A with CEO Mark Fields and he quoted some interesting facts:

Prior to this move, which will add another 700 US jobs, Ford is by far the largest employer of US workers for US automobile manufacturing. 80% of the vehicles they sell in the US are produced in the US.

This move was not pushed on Ford by Trump, though there was some interesting remarks about whether he thought some of Trump's trade policies would come true...

Good company....
I am not a Trump or Hillary supporter. So they just happened to change their mind about the Mexico expansion after the Trump tweet? It may be true but still looks like they caved.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:28 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by lightflyer
I am not a Trump or Hillary supporter. So they just happened to change their mind about the Mexico expansion after the Trump tweet? It may be true but still looks like they caved.
Maybe it is timing, maybe it is pressure, maybe there will be import taxes and it is a smart move? Time may be what tells...

What the CEO did say was that they were building the plant for an electric car (focus? idk), and that Ford determined they had excess capacity in their existing Mexico plants for the production. He emphasized Ford made the decision based on what was best for Ford, but go back to my above paragraph because maybe calls are being made that we don't know about...

I do know Ford didn't take any bail-out money and when they re-designed the Escape (iirc) they decided to build it here. That was back when GM and Chrysler still owed the Feds for their bailout money...

I hope it is the beginning of a massive trend, whether it is via incentivization or just good corporate ethics...

In the end it is our country that will benefit. Peace, Out....

Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
This whole next four years is going to be a wait and see I think. Who knows what will happen.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:28 AM
duste
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what we get on the news up here it seems that Trump is already pressuring a few companies that planned on moving to Mexico. He's given some tax breaks but keeping people working in the US is the key to economic stability, not allowing businesses to pack up and leave . I hate HRC with a passion and not much of a Trump fan but if he keeps this approach up he may be what the country needs. Lifetime politicians are self serving yes men, we have the same problem up here, it doesn't matter who we vote in they just line their own pockets and screw us over some more.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by duste
From what we get on the news up here it seems that Trump is already pressuring a few companies that planned on moving to Mexico. He's given some tax breaks but keeping people working in the US is the key to economic stability, not allowing businesses to pack up and leave . I hate HRC with a passion and not much of a Trump fan but if he keeps this approach up he may be what the country needs. Lifetime politicians are self serving yes men, we have the same problem up here, it doesn't matter who we vote in they just line their own pockets and screw us over some more.
That right there...

Old 01-04-2017, 08:37 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by duste
but keeping people working in the US is the key
DT has done more before even being installed than the teleprompter in chief did in 8 years.
I am not a huge fan of DT either, but cannot imagine 4 years of HRC. Just watching the heads of all the snowflakes imploding is proof positive that we have become a self entitled where-is-my-participation-trophy........give-me-my-safe-space kind of society.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:22 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Fox News announced that the GOP has introduced a bill the limit the term they can serve... 1/3/2016
First day back!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:48 PM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by navistarnut
DT has done more before even being installed than the teleprompter in chief did in 8 years.
I am not a huge fan of DT either, but cannot imagine 4 years of HRC. Just watching the heads of all the snowflakes imploding is proof positive that we have become a self entitled where-is-my-participation-trophy........give-me-my-safe-space kind of society.
Navi I Love it, Reminds me of the movie Kingsmen when all of the elitists heads blow up! If that could only really happen!

Old 01-04-2017, 03:58 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I know this should be in another forum, but dang it - a bunch of us here run blue blood !!!

Ford announced today to NOT build the $1.6 Billion plant in Mexico and instead invest in existing plants in Michigan

A true American Car Company
I think a "True American Company" never would have made plans to build in and make their products in Mexico.

I am just happy to hear that it didn't happen.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 292 Likes on 105 Posts
They're international - big factory 50 miles from me... Why do you think they went metric? They also have to answer to shareholders.

That said, I don't like outsourcing either. Produce as much as possible inside the country, keep the national skills high, reduce shipping costs, and reduce reliance on unfriendly countries. This bit is where government needs to ensure a favourable and stable tax regime, plus good education.

Quick Reply: GO Ford!!!!