1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED advice! Geico trying to screw me

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 PM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool NEED advice! Geico trying to screw me

This all started back in July of 2016. I was on vacation with my wife and kids driving from Las Vegas to L.A. About an hour outside of Vegas I had a rear left blow out on my 2011 F350. Fortunately, I didn't lose control and was able to safely pull over. Unfortunately, there was some damage to the bed and the DEF tank started leaking. I changed out the tire and got back on the road. Shortly after, I got a CEL from the low pressure within the DEF tank, luckily it was a slow leak. We made it to L.A. then eventually back to Texas. In Tucson on the way back to Texas, I almost had a second blow out, this time on the front right side. I caught it in time and this time I just decided to replace all four tires with new BFGs. The old tires were the factory Michelins and still had TONS of tread and weren't dry rotted. BTW, I had them checked by the tire shop in L.A. who said they were fine.

I made a claim through Geico and had the repairs made by Ford. They ended up replacing the left panel on my bed, one or two panels inside the bed, and replaced the DEF tank. The spray liner was also re sprayed.

I recently got an email from Geico saying that starting this month, my insurance was going to increase from $300 per month to $400 (I have 4 cars with full coverage). I called them to ask why and was told that they considered my tire blow out an at-fault accident. I have never made a claim with them, have not had a single driving violation in 15 years, and have not had an at-fault accident since 1998. I just don't see how it can be labeled as at-fault. The blow out was not something that was within my control. The tires were in GREAT shape and I always check the pressure before we leave on vacation. My truck is mainly only used for travel and kept in the garage when not in use ( I have a take home car and motorcycle from work).

What do you all think? What can I do? What would you do if it was you? Should I just bend over and spread my cheeks and try to enjoy it?

Please help!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
So drop them and change insurance companies.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:58 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I left GEICO after seventeen years. They were insanely cheap when I joined them in 1994 or so but then they seemed as bad as everybody else. Also I got real tired of seeing all my insurance premiums being used for stupid TV commercials ad nauseum.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:00 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
That being said I would not report ANYTHING to an insurance company short of a complete loss.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:04 PM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
That being said I would not report ANYTHING to an insurance company short of a complete loss.

I honestly did NOT think my insurance rate would go up because I didn't see it as being my fault or within my control.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Unclemark
Senior User
Plenty of fish in the sea. Do some shopping and around for rates. Unfortunately they will all be able to see that you have had a claim and that may change the quotes they give you. I pay $277 a month for three trucks, a 16' utility and an 18' enclosed trailer and they keep inching up ever so often... Oh and to them a claim is a claim doesn't seem to matter.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:07 PM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
So drop them and change insurance companies.

I thought of that, so I called Allstate. They told me the rate would be the same as Geico because of my "at-fault accident". They also said all other insurance companies would charge me a high rate because of this.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Anytime you file a claim they will find a way to get their money back. That's just the way it works. As someone said previously, the only thing I would ever turn it would be a complete loss.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:22 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
start calling all the major companies.. be truthful...

I understand all locations are different..

I went from a 10 year old Dodge 1500 to a 3 year old Ford F 250..
my rate went Down by 25 percent.. same numbers. No claims. in 20 years. same company.
and this years rate went up 2 dollars...

Old 01-03-2017, 06:42 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
We don't call companies. We use a local agency that searches for the best rate, so we are always with the same agency, but not the same companies. We haven't changed often, but it has happened and each time our rate went down. We also bundle house and umbrella coverage. Not sure it would work for everyone, but it does for us.

Steve

Old 01-03-2017, 07:17 AM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how old were your tires?
if they're newer, you should be able to appeal the decision.
if they're past the wear limit, Geico may be in the right

Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
We don't call companies. We use a local agency that searches for the best rate, so we are always with the same agency, but not the same companies. We haven't changed often, but it has happened and each time our rate went down. We also bundle house and umbrella coverage. Not sure it would work for everyone, but it does for us.

Steve
I agree.. I did NOT think to say that..

my motorcycle is setup like RV_Tech.. local agency.. for lowest price.

my home, trailer, truck, car all in one. many years same company.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:42 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
The only way to argue with an insurance company is to leave for another one. They are like the Mob with one difference... The government forces you to use them.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:55 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FractureCritical
how old were your tires?
if they're newer, you should be able to appeal the decision.
if they're past the wear limit, Geico may be in the right

There may be an avenue here, but my guess is they will challenge an appeal based on inability of the owner to prove the tires were adequately aired up. Not saying they were low, but that is how I would challenge that appeal and I bet that is what they are assuming.

Steve

Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
I would call them back and ask them to review their findings. I had someone sideswipe my truck while I was sleeping. I made a police report and called Geico. It was $3700 in damage, was claimed on comprehensive with $500 ded and was considered accident forgiveness because of no prior claims, accidents or tickets. Maybe one of them bean counters just checked a wrong box or something?

Quick Reply: NEED advice! Geico trying to screw me