6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New 08 F450 Lariat owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New 08 F450 Lariat owner

I've wanted one of these trucks for a while, collected her this morning.

2008 F450 Lariat CC LB 6.4L Auto 4x4 4.30 LS 120k Sunroof White/Beige

Who ever owned her took excellent care and used it for a slide in camper. Bed is in perfect shape except for one small ding, no goose or 5th hitch and the factory hitch appears unused. Very clean sounding motor, no blow by, no clatter.

No codes.

My plan is to sync all the fluids:
- 5w40 and filter
- fuel filters
- coolant system flush w Fleetguard Restore and CAT-1
- then the differentials
- then to dealer for trans flush

Will start Looking into DPF cleaning as this truck is about GPM not MPG, lie-o-meter at 14mpg today which actually did calculate out manually.

Anyone have recommendations for nice looking and quality mud flaps?

As time goes on, will swap the tires for Toyo M608s in 245/70R19.5

Previously owned:

2003 F250 CC SB 6.0L Auto 4x4, one of the first trucks made that came with the accessory of a boat anchor
2000 F250 CC SB V10 Auto 4x4
2001 F350 EC LB V10 DRW ZF5 4x4
2005 Excursion 6.0L 4x4
2004 F250 EC LB 6.0L ZF6 4x4

Old 01-02-2017, 10:12 PM
jimh425
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats.

I have these on the rear.

Weathertech

I think I have these on the front, but make sure they look right according to your front fenders. Ford plain

The F450 front fenders are different than the F350. After reading that they come off, I used additional screws on mine to try to keep them on. They've been on almost 3 years. Apparently, the stock screws aren't enough from what I've read. They tend to come off with the stock screws.

I also added Bilstein 4600s which made a huge difference on the ride.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:18 PM
DesertRider
Junior User
I have the same truck. I use it 90% of the time pulling a 17k lb trailer. I get between 7-8 mpg.
I got my mud guards from Ford. They are nice a sturdy and have a chrome looking diamond plate strip on the bottom. It's a 4X4 and the only problem I've had at all was tire related. The original tires wore quickly and one of the inside rears blew while towing causing about $8k damage. They were continentals. I replace with michelins and they are wearing much better.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:39 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
check into the correct ford fluid additives. there is a limited slip additive, a coolant additive.

also check into the correct anti jelling and fuel lube from companies like opti lube.

run b5 if you can get it.

keep an extra exhuast temp sensor in the parts box....there are 3 in the exhuast system and if any one of them throw a code..you will be stranded.

keep a code reader that can clear codes in the parts box....a lot of these code will wrench the engine and put the engine into reduce power mode...but will temporarily put the engine back into normal mode when cleared.

I use zinc and phosphorus oil additives on each oil change and use the sever duty schedule.

monitor your oil levels for fuel dilution.....not just cuased by regens...fuel will leak from the high pressure fuel pump cam area into the engine compartment and there have been cases of cracked injector bases wich results in fuel leaks.

use only motorcraft supplies

120K is a lot of mikes for a 6.4l which typically will see some rocker arm tip wear depending on engine idle hours . mine had 85K miles with 3000 hrs and had 4 worn rocker tips, 12 bent push rods, and 1 droped rocker.

invest in oil by pass, collant filters, upper end fuel systems like airdog

check your water drain often if you live in areas with lots of condensation.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
check into the correct ford fluid additives. there is a limited slip additive, a coolant additive.

also check into the correct anti jelling and fuel lube from companies like opti lube.

run b5 if you can get it.

keep an extra exhuast temp sensor in the parts box....there are 3 in the exhuast system and if any one of them throw a code..you will be stranded.

keep a code reader that can clear codes in the parts box....a lot of these code will wrench the engine and put the engine into reduce power mode...but will temporarily put the engine back into normal mode when cleared.

I use zinc and phosphorus oil additives on each oil change and use the sever duty schedule.

monitor your oil levels for fuel dilution.....not just cuased by regens...fuel will leak from the high pressure fuel pump cam area into the engine compartment and there have been cases of cracked injector bases wich results in fuel leaks.

use only motorcraft supplies

120K is a lot of mikes for a 6.4l which typically will see some rocker arm tip wear depending on engine idle hours . mine had 85K miles with 3000 hrs and had 4 worn rocker tips, 12 bent push rods, and 1 droped rocker.

invest in oil by pass, collant filters, upper end fuel systems like airdog

check your water drain often if you live in areas with lots of condensation.
Thanks, I'll stop at the dealership for the exhaust temp sensor for the glove box. I'm using OBDLink MX WiFi for the iPhone, have an IDS within reach.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Placed an order with DuraFlap last night for F/R mud flaps. I remember buying them previously for another truck after much heart ache over expense, though I lost much more looking into other brands.

More research today on tires, looks like plenty of people running 245/70R19.5 on the OEM wheels which is fine for my needs.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Went through my first white smoke regeneration yesterday as I was driving through stop and go traffic, jumped onto the freeway and everything cleared out quickly. Doing research, sounds like too much moisture in the fuel and not enough time/energy to finish the regeneration.

I like this forum, very quiet like the 6.4L motor!

Old 01-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Does anyone replace the shocks on the F450s ?

Sure mine rides as solid as a rock, with a little bit of float - very clear that the shocks are probably original.

Looking at Fox 2.0 as they have done well previously.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
Went through my first white smoke regeneration yesterday as I was driving through stop and go traffic, jumped onto the freeway and everything cleared out quickly. Doing research, sounds like too much moisture in the fuel and not enough time/energy to finish the regeneration.

I like this forum, very quiet like the 6.4L motor!
Just about everyone has had one of those, freaked me out the first time I had one, such is life.