6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Strange issue please help. No cold start light surging

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 12:51 PM
OPCJeff
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange issue please help. No cold start light surging

Hey everybody so I've tried to find something that matches my problem but cant so hopefully some of you may have some suggestions. We are headed out of town in two days and im not sure if we should go if I dont get this figured out.

I've done a bunch of work to the truck so heres all the details: 2005 EX. I just added a bullet proof oil cooler. Changed stand pipes, dummy plugs, nipple seals, all new pure power injectors, inspected harness and all was good but did have to add some extra wrap, ive rebuilt the turbo, added kc billet impeller, plugged the dorman egr cooler (for testing only of course)and replaced the up pipe with one that doesnt divert into egr(for testing only of course). replaced EPB sensor and checked tube. replaced IPR sensor, replaced ICP sensor.replaced MAP hose and cleaned out nipple in manifold, replaced plastic cac tube with new model steel, cleaned MAF sensor, reamed out cat(for testing only of course), no muffler

All of this cured a lot of issues Ive been having. Power seems good acceleration is good i think. Its no rocket ship but its also 8k lbs. Also mileage seems good. averaging 14.8 around town on lie o meter(it was 10).

When I got it all back together it had some major running issues so i pulled the ipr and the screen was clogged. I replaced it with new one and put it back in and that fixed most of the issues.

The only issue I have now is that when its dead cold until it warms up completely it has a mild surge. I pulled the IPR out again and the screen was pretty clean but I replaced it anyways. Nothing changed. I also realized the fuel filters were at 10k miles so I changed those too. no change. If it warms up completely it runs great and smooth and seems to have more power. Although I'd expect most cars to have more power when warm.

The only other issue im having now is that this morning and yesterday morning i've tried hooking up my buddies shop scanner and the truck wont start with it hooked up. By the time i get the darn thing to give me some numbers after I get it started and hooked up its too late and the truck is warm. Issues are gone. Surge is only in the morning. Can sit all day and start at night and it doesnt do it.

So here's the numbers that I've gotten.

When truck wont start while cranking Baro, Map, ebp are all 14.7 -14.9
Battery voltage 11.9
FICM output 48-47.5
IPR 84
ICP always above 600 extended crank goes to 1550

Cold idle right after start up:
BARO MAP same, EBP 18.4, ICP 748 -desired 748, IPR 28, MAF 1.6V/.09, Battery 13.5, FICM 48, FUel PW 1.05, ECT 116, EOT 102(didnt take long for these to warm up), Load 44%, Inj timing -1.75, VGT 84.99( havent moved truck never goes back to this number once i drive it)

Warm driving around light throttle: (no surging)
BARO 14.7, EBP 27, ICP 1250~ desired 1200~, IPR 38, MAF 3.0/.03, Fuel Pulse witdh 1.1-1.15 when off throttle drops to .98, load 43-55 depending on slight hills etc., inj timing -3, VGT 52-55 never goes above 68 on decel,

Full throttle high gear:
EBP 48, ICP 3900~ desired same (no variance more than 25 and just on swings usually is higher than desired), IPR 78, MAF 4.5, Fuel PW 1.16, load 99%, inj timing .8-4.5, VGT 37

If you guys have any suggestions I would appreciate it. I cant keep throwing parts at this thing without some sort of direction. Im super frustrated that I cant t=get the scanner to work when its surging in the morning but Im gonna try again tonight maybe i will get it to do it.

Im thinking the scanner is low on batteries so its draining them when i hook it up and start plugging in the parameters. Thats leading me to beleive the batteries suck but from what I've read the numbers for cold batteries arent that bad?

I have no clue what the surging could be. I've tried to find some insight on the EGR delete and that possibility but nothing matches what Ive got going on so Im just stumped.

If anyone has some thoughts or sees something in these numbers please let me know

Thanks - Jeff

Old 01-01-2017, 01:42 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Done the blue spring mod? If so how long ago?

Did it do this with the old injectors?
Was the ICP plug wet with oil when you replaced it?

Old 01-01-2017, 02:15 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unplug the ICP, start the truck and see if it stops. Sounds like you haven't purged all the air yet, slow to start in the morning or you may have a leak.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:27 PM
OPCJeff
Senior User
Originally Posted by navistarnut

Sorry forgot to mention that. Yes I did the blue spring probably two weeks before this other stuff. Fuel pressure stays above 60 all the time now. Although I havent checked it with everything else done so maybe theres a pump problem?

Old 01-01-2017, 02:30 PM
OPCJeff
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Unplug the ICP, start the truck and see if it stops. Sounds like you haven't purged all the air yet, slow to start in the morning or you may have a leak.
Ive been driving it for a week now and other than the last two days its been starting up perfect. Less than two second start ups everytime. Would air in the system still show good icp numbers?

Old 01-01-2017, 02:35 PM
OPCJeff
Senior User
Originally Posted by navistarnut

Sorry didnt answer all your questions. It surged and bucked, ran like dog poop and got horrible mpg before I did everything. Thats why i starting doing stuff. started with the turbo rebuild, the numbers stuck at 85 for long periods. got that fixed and the numbers look good but no change. then found a hole in my cold side cac tube so upgraded to steel one. still no change, then changed blue spring because pressure was down in the 40s blue spring fixed that, still no change so I took it all the way down and did everything listed above. Now its just this light surge when dead cold until warm. But if the truck is cold but not dead cold it doesnt seem to do it.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:37 PM
OPCJeff
Senior User
is there any good way to ensure ive got the air all out? Ive been driving the s#*9 out of it

Old 01-01-2017, 04:57 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
What oil you running?

I did a thread a month ago about surging. If your running T-6, switch to Delo LE400 5w-40 and run that.

Try the unplugged ICP, it won't hurt the truck, will set a code, clear it when done.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:29 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OPCJeff
is there any good way to ensure ive got the air all out? Ive been driving the s#*9 out of it
Did you say the ICP always reads over 600? What are the ICPV's at KOEO? Should be .18 to .24

Old 01-01-2017, 05:54 PM
OPCJeff
Senior User
What oil you running?

I did a thread a month ago about surging. If your running T-6, switch to Delo LE400 5w-40 and run that.

Try the unplugged ICP, it won't hurt the truck, will set a code, clear it when done.
Im running the synthetic delo 5-40w. I think it was the LE400 but couldnt swear on it. Think theres only one diesel delo 5-40 synthetic?

Yah i will try that in the morning or tonight if I can get it to repeat. I had the batteries checked and they are good but I think they may just be low so im charging them now.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:56 PM
OPCJeff
Senior User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Did you say the ICP always reads over 600? What are the ICPV's at KOEO? Should be .18 to .24
sorry thats over 600 when cranking and running. KOEO icp voltage is .24 and reads 0 psi. but will fluctuate to .6

Old 01-01-2017, 07:55 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Delo in 15w-40 as well

Old 01-01-2017, 08:29 PM
OPCJeff
Senior User
Delo in 15w-40 as well
I found the old bottle I knew it was 5-40 but its definitely the le400. Im headed outside now to see if I can get it to do it again. The batteries took quite a bit of charge so I think they just needed a good charge since they load tested ok. So hopefully Im back to just fixing the surge

Old 01-01-2017, 09:42 PM
OPCJeff
Senior User
well she started perfect so hopefully i got that licked.

I also talked with my buddy and he told me that sometimes his scan gauge will not let a car start. somehow there's a glich and it messes with some cars so that may have what it was as well.

It did surge but just barely it was hardly noticeable. Everything looked good with the specs all being the same as above but I did see the vgt solenoid bouncing a bit between 52 and 58. It wasnt in sync with the surge but Im guessing that surge will take time to respond from the problem

I didnt get a chance to unplug the ICP as it was so light that I was concerned I wouldnt be able to tell one way or the other if it changed anything. So tomorrow I will take a stab at it again and see if it will do it. If so i will unplug the icp and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all your help so far! happy new year!

Old 01-02-2017, 01:37 PM
OPCJeff
Senior User
Alright so it did it again this morning. Nothing showed up differently on the scan gauge so Im not sure whats causing it but I have a theory. I did pull over and unplug the ICP sensor and the idle rose a bit and the surging got a little worse. Plugged it back it and it went back to a slight surge and idle dropped back down.

At one point I stopped, shut it down, restarted it and the surge was gone. My theory is that maybe the pcm is freaked out over the EGR delete? I've tried to look up anything related to this and everyone seems to have slightly different scenarios and other associated issues so its really tough to figure out. Tomorrow morning im gonna try and drive a short distance and shut it down and restart again to see if it clears it up.

Could the EGR delete be causing this?

Quick Reply: Strange issue please help. No cold start light surging