1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Gary's Towing Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I have a US-made come-along, and plenty of ratchet straps as well as a hand-operated winch - all of which 3 of us used to load the '50 Chevy pickup on a trailer. Man, what an ordeal! The tires were not only down, but the were D-shaped and retained that shape through the whole process. When a flat spot went down the thing was hard to pull, and when two of them were down together it was almost impossible to pull. I vowed then and there to have an electric winch next time I load a vehicle on a trailer. So, I'm going to ask my friend who has one if I can borrow it, but I'll need to figure out how to mount it to the trailer.

As for weight, I will put everything I can in the tow truck. That's what I did with the boat when we towed to Utah last fall. There was literally nothing in the boat, and everything that weighed much was in the rear seat area of the truck, with only the spare tire, life jackets, fenders, and skis in the bed - ahead of the axle. And I have a locking tonneau on the bed which is almost rain-proof, so the lighter things can go in the bed.

But I'm not sure how much balancing I am going to be able to do on the trailer. As has been pointed out, 460's are heavy, so we will have tongue weight. But the truck handled the tongue weight of the boat quite well, and I'm guessing it was every bit of 500 lbs. However, the F250 may weigh around 5,000 lbs and the trailer could be 1,500, so we really ought to have at least 650 lbs on the tongue, if not more.

Anyway, please keep those ideas coming in.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:28 AM
Hound Dog Lew
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see I'm a bit late to the party to give advice, but I towed my truck home 15 months ago. My tow vehicle was a 2010 Ford Expedition, towed vehicle was a 1983 F150 Flareside on a UHaul car carrier with surge brakes. I went from Slocomb, Alabama to Richmond, Virginia. It was about 750 miles. Everything pulled, stopped and handled just fine.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:37 AM
maytag906
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another option.
Hauling Ads - Yesterday's Tractor Co.

I towed my 84 F150 behind my 2011 F150, about 200 miles in a snowstorm. I used my 18' car trailer, tandem axle, brakes on one axle. Worked out well.

If you want to use a UHaul, Ryder, Penske etc trailer, don't tell them you are hauling such a large vehicle, they won't rent to you.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:44 AM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are concerned about tongue weight, load the truck on backwards. You should be fine towing with what you have access to.
My uncle and I have towed many old clunkers from louisiana to St. Augustine, Florida with the same setup as you will have. We even towed 4 first series broncos to Florida. Two at a time on the trailer. Pulled a 56 f100 with a 455 pontiac motor.
When the truck is on the trailer, you can deflate the tires if height is a concern for you.
You should be fine. Enjoy your journey. Hiccups are part of it.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:07 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
You can see with the uhaul and the flare side the wheel base to bed size.
IIRC the truck Gary is picking up is a long wheel base truck and would be close to fitting on.

As said you could put it on back wards but if you don't have the tongue weight and cant move the truck forward more what do you do?
If you have WD hitch like I have in my picture it would not matter. Mine just use brackets that fit on the "A" frame of the trailer. Don't know if you have access to any just to use incase.
With my 86 K5 Blazer I did not need the bars but do with the Durango as the rear springs drop with weight of the trailer.

My hitch is also set up for sway control, not the trailer tho, but have never needed it and can tell you it tows fine at 80 mph when needed

I know you don't have control over it but trailer tires also have a lot to do with how it tows. I would/will never use trailer tires on a trailer.
They are speed rated for something like 55 mph, go over that and they tend to come apart.
Even if they say it can take the weight I am seeing they really cant, then run hot and come apart.
I also find you tend to get more sway from them, soft side walls.
I also see guys having to replace them in like 2 years even if covered and off the ground when set up for a bit.
I run a LT (Light Truck) tire and see in the trailer area others are starting go the same way. I could not tell you how old they are but with the cracking (never covered or off ground) I am starting to see I would replace them if going far from home.

Just some of what I have come across in my towing of trailers from small pop up's, 22' travel trailers to the 35' 2 car trailer.
Dave ----

Old 12-30-2016, 08:33 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Lew - Looks like everything was well balanced as the Expedition isn't squatting and it pulled well. Hope my adventure goes as well.

Maytag - Imsure hope we don't run into a snowstorm! But we will watch the weather and take the longer southern route if there's any weather. And Bruno's trailer is much like yours, so it should handle the truck well. As for the tractor-shipping idea, I don't want to entrust the treasure trove of parts to anyone else, and I don't think we'll have room for hauling anything else. So, thanks but no thanks.

Kyle - I'm a bit worried about tongue weight, so may try loading backwards if we can't get it balanced forwards. Thanks for the tip. And, you are right about hiccups. We had a few when my brother and his wife went with us to Lake Powell in Utah. But, with some ingenuity we made it through. And as he said, it made the trip memorable.

Dave - The F250 is a regular cab long bed, so it has a 133" wheelbase as opposed to Lew's 116.8". In other words, another 16", which would put the rear wheels very close to the end of that trailer. Hopefully Bruno's trailer is longer so there's a bit of room to position it for balance. Also, there's quite a weight difference in the two trucks. My 1981 literature says a base Flareside weighs 3470 and a base 4wd F250 weighs 4152. However, this is an F250HD, and apparently there was no such animal in 1981. But, a base F350 weighs 4572, so the HD may weigh more like 4400, meaning almost 1000 lbs more than Lew's. And that is the base weight, before adding options and accessories, and this truck has about every option known to man. It is a 460 and has the Explorer C package on it, so it has everything.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:17 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been more than pleased with my car hauler trailer over the years. I have towed a few cars on it as well as trucks. As a matter of fact I have towed my Bronco back and forth to Gary's a time or two. It sees to balance well with where the trailer axles are positioned. It is a tandem axle trailer(5200lb axles)with brakes on both axles. The last truck I hauled on it was my 96 F250, CC, 4x4 with the 7.3 powerstroke. That truck empty weighs around 7200lbs. Also, the flatbed on it was loaded down with scaffolding which probably bumped the weight to around 9,000lbs. It towed like a champ. I love this trailer for many reasons, but being how HD it is built is probably my favorite .

As far as how to load it goes, I typically pull the trucks on with another truck. If there isn't one available then another means would need to be used. The come along takes forever and can be a little dangerous especially if you have to get another bite. Trust me I have used that method as well.

Take some wheel chocks. If you don't have any I have plenty of wooden blocks laying around we can make some out of. I also have two 50' 3/8" chains with boomers to send along. The trailer has winch straps welded down the side as well. So securing the vehicle in a way that gives peace of mind wont be an issue. The mental effect of the suspension moving on the truck being towed always gives me some heebeegeebees lol. but I just reassure myself that I have hauled a many heavy loads and I know how to secure them properly. Always re check your tie downs after you have traveled a few miles just to make sure nothing has shifted. I recommend checking it every time you stop for fuel or food as well.

I have additional ratchet straps I can send with you just for giggles. Take a screw gun and some long screws too. I like to sometimes screw some chocks down in front and behind the wheels. The peace of mind issue is something that is required. The chain and boomers will be the primary tie down, a couple of the winch straps through the frame will be the "oh crap" secondary and you will have the vehicle in park as well as the parking brake being set. Then the screwed down chocks with maybe another strap going long ways on top of the tires will provide a more than adequate tie down and should give you all of the confidence in the World.

I pulled a 73 cougar on that trailer and it was like nothing was on it. The balance and weight was perfect. I felt like I run 100mph with now problems.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:19 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Mr. Lewis, there is a nice rest stop in northwest Alabama, if needed!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:26 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Dave - The F250 is a regular cab long bed, so it has a 133" wheelbase as opposed to Lew's 116.8". In other words, another 16", which would put the rear wheels very close to the end of that trailer. Hopefully Bruno's trailer is longer so there's a bit of room to position it for balance.
Just for a visual Whitey's wheel base is around 155" and I had no problems putting him on there. The back tires were close to the back , but not about to come off either.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:29 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
If you want to use an electric winch of some sorts I have some old welding leads laying around that would carry the voltage just fine and I may have some other goodies to help with an install

Old 12-30-2016, 09:37 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Brandon - It sounds like that trailer is perfect! Any chance I can come to get it tomorrow or Monday? My truck goes in the shop on Tuesday and may be in for a few days, and Rusty needs a fuel pump. So, I'd like to get it before Tuesday - if it is convenient.

David - Thanks! We are hoping to drive straight through, but it is good to know we have a place to stop if needed.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:39 AM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a fullsize floorjack with you. It helps to move the truck from side to side on the trailer and capable of lifting the trailer with the truck on it if needed.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Brandon - Missed your last two posts. But it sounds like the trailer will have enough length to allow moving the truck for balance, and that is excellent.

As for the welding leads, let me see if I can borrow the winch and, if so, what leads are on it.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
As far as being leery of borrowing the trailer goes like was mentioned, I haven't used this one in a couple of years. I have another one I use primarily. I am loaning this to a guy that has helped me with numerous projects (when I know he has plenty of stuff of his own to do). Big projects at that like pulling the heads off of my Bronco and even changing an oil pan gasket with the motor in the truck (which was like 3 bolts away from pulling the whole dang motor). He has loaned me numerous tools and helped me fabricate some too. Gary has sold me parts at next to nothing as well as given me some. Not to mention hosting our chapters GTG's and being a gracious host to say the least. I have eaten meals out there prepared by Janie as well (she is a good cook!!).

Knowing Gary as well as I know him the trailer will be taken care of as if it were his own. Should anything happen(God forbid and I will be praying for safe travels) I know Gary would make it right. I have 110% confidence in the borrower and his ability to use it properly.

In conclusion, I am happy to let Gary use it. It really is the least I could do for him after all he has done for me, our chapter and the FTE community.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:48 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Yes, tomorrow would be fine. A and N trailer parts wont be open until the 2nd. I just called them to see if I could get a couple of LED lights for the back and some wire. They are the cheapest with my discount . However, we can address that when they open or I am sure I can hit up Amazon Prime.

It needs a couple of these:https://www.amazon.com/Square-Pedest...trailer+lights

Quick Reply: Gary's Towing Adventure