Ford Explorer Head Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 10:11 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Ford Explorer Head Unit Replacement

Hello FTE,

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer that is going to require a head unit to be replaced.

1) The display no longer works.
2) Radio is overall acting funky.

The unit is a 6 disc player and has a the fact rear DVD entertainment option connected to it. I remember there is a factory Subwoofer in the vehicle as well but there is no RCA style plugs. On the back of the radio there are 3 plugs plus the Antenna. Since the time has come to replace the head, I'm thinking of going to go with Pioneer's AVH-2800BS. It will accomplish what my goals of replacing the radio.

1) Eliminate the need/use of the FM function on the XM dock by using the aux port on the new HU. There is a reason why I going this route.
a) Reduce cost by keeping one active sub to XM
b) Ability to relocate the XM unit between the Explorer, F250 and the trailer.
c) Already bought the XM radio years ago. No need to buy another one and have to pay for activation.
d)Reduce the need for the wife to have to channel an FM channel due to signal interference. The FM filter gave up the ghost a long time ago for the XM. So it's straight FM from dock.

2) Give my wife in car phone access. Right now my wife uses a wired ear bud/ mic set up. She does not like using a Blue tooth ear piece. She does like how my truck has the Sync. So if I can give her something very similar, that just means I get some extra bonus points with her.

3) Rear camera function. Cameras are everywhere for cheap. Why not install a camera to the rear license plate and call it a day.

4) Phone app access to the vehicle audio system. I stream Pandora and Amazon music in my truck all the time.

Now here is the problem. The last time I did a head unit was like 10 years ago. I used a harness adapter to go from a Ford side to the Sony side. The Sony had a plug right in the box and all I had to do was splice the wiring together. This was also before Factory installed rear entertainment (RES) and factory sub systems. I seem to come up to a wall with what I should do to make everything work. The RES is tied into the radio. The harnesses I can find for the Ford to aftermarket HUs seem to not include the any access to the RES. I want to keep the RES working as RES is used by members of the family plus this is the wife's ride. So happy wife is a happy life right guys

These factory RES seem to have limited info out there even after 10 years. It makes me wonder if they were unpopular option for the Explorer. It was this option that actually attracted as well as the 6 disc CD that led us to purchase the vehicle. Our child was little at the time so the DVD came in handy for long car rides. The 6 CD head was nice with the music required at the time as well. Now the CD is barely used anymore as my wife uses the XM when our daughter is not in the Explorer. When she is, there is usually movie sound going through the speakers.

Bottom line is What am I going to need to do to make this work? Anyone on FTE run into this issue before? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:10 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Well all the parts are on order. The radio is coming in sometime this week. The harnesses for the radio are here. One of my clients has a vehicle customization division within their company. I gave him the info and what I was trying to do. He had the parts in stock and just ship them out to me for the install. He offered to have his guys do the install if I wanted to drive out to his place and hook the vehicle up with a few other goodies.

For those who stumble upon this thread. There is a main harness adapter for the radio and speakers. Another harness for the DVD retention that works with the RCA connectors on the radio to handle the audio and system power. Then a Sub woofer adapter for that portion of the install. 3 parts plus the install kit for the radio itself.