Got lucky today with a RV tire.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:54 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExcursionPSD
Thank you!

Never too late to learn.
Yeah, brainfart on my end, meant week/year....on production date. Those tires look awesome!

Old 01-05-2017, 08:59 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 806 Likes on 563 Posts
Originally Posted by cyncwby
When we bought our new '13 5th wheel I knew it was coming with the POS Goodyear Marathons in 235-80-16. Luckily the alum. wheels were rated for 110 psi and I had been doing a ton of research on rv tires. The Sailun S637 was very new but the few reviews I could find were extremely positive.

So I started shopping and found a seller on ebay that goes by "rustybore", he had a phone number listed so I phoned him. He had nothing but good things to say about the Sailun, he did say yes, they are also made in China but by the the leading 18 wheeler type tire mfg. I bought 4 of the 235-85-16 @ 3750 lbs load ..... not 80 which is usually the junk China bomb size. I paid $800 with free shipping.

MAN 'O MAN are these things TIRES!!! The Marathons weigh 36 lbs, the Sailuns weigh 67 lbs and I swear to the man upstairs that the sidewall is close to 1" thick. It took 2 guys at the tire shop with a 4' extention on the old fashion tire installation bar to stretch these monsters around the wheel, the machine couldn't budge them. These tires are about 1/2" taller than the 80 series but I still have plenty of room between them....see pics, also time stamp on truck/trailer pic got screwed up.

Long story I know but I am EXTREMELY happy I bought these tires and the piece of mind when towing is worth every penny. You do need 110 psi wheels as that's what these tires are rated at (you can find the wheel info cast into the wheel on the back side) but I run 95 psi as our 5th wheel only weighs around 12k loaded. The rig rides very nice and rolls alot easier and there is hardly any bulge in the tire when sitting.

I've heard the prices have come down so get on the net and start shopping, you won't regret the purchase. Also they only come in the 235-85-16 size so if you have a smaller 5th wheel or travel trailer you will probably have to go with an LT tire like the Firestone Transforce.......good luck.

I'm currently waiting for the Sailun S637 to come off national backorder so I can buy 5 of them. They now offer both the ST235/80R16 (30.8") and ST235/85R16 (31.7") in 14 ply rating Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637 Regional All-Position I'm looking to get the 235/80s as they should fit my TT wheel wells without any interference.
How long and how many miles do you have on these tires now? Obviously you are still a happy camper with them.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess I should feel fortunate that my TT(6000 lbs gvw) has 12 year old tires with about 10k and they are still holding up. I keep looking for issues but not finding them. Most of our trips are just to Banning(near Palm Springs) with 1 to Oregon and one to SDak.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:19 AM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 yrs.....stand by !! WEZ3S ..... I haven't looked for a while, glad they are making a smaller one, will you need different wheels? We have probably about 2,000 miles on them, I keep them covered when parked and keep the rig under our drive through by the front door during the winter.

There's quite a few guys on the Keystone RV forum that's using them now and they all love them but there's always a couple of "experts" that thinks the tire is too big or too heavy duty for an rv ....... also because it's really a comm'l truck tire and says on the sidewall "6.5 inch wheel" then you shouldn't use them on a common rv 6" wheel.

I've been assured by several tire shops and 'rustybore" himself that they'll be just fine on a 6" wheel. As you can see in the pics, the wheel is just about the same width as the tire tread. We mostly travel to the Colorado river area and I can't count how many 5th wheels, travel and boat trailers we see pulled over with blown tires. I've had guys pulling boat trailers blow by me at 85 mph most likely with 65 mph rated china bombs, scary chit when one lets go and as we all know very dangerous for everyone on the road.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:51 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by cyncwby
WEZ3S ..... I haven't looked for a while, glad they are making a smaller one, will you need different wheels? We have probably about 2,000 miles on them, I keep them covered when parked and keep the rig under our drive through by the front door during the winter.

There's quite a few guys on the Keystone RV forum that's using them now and they all love them but there's always a couple of "experts" that thinks the tire is too big or too heavy duty for an rv ....... also because it's really a comm'l truck tire and says on the sidewall "6.5 inch wheel" then you shouldn't use them on a common rv 6" wheel.

Yes, I am switching over to 8 lug hub/drums (same brakes and spindles are used on several different Dexter weight range axles) and what look to be the same wheels you are running. 16x6 in T02 Aluminum Trailer Wheel 8 Lug, 3750 lb Max Load, Free Shipping.
I've read a lot of the great tire reviews from RV owners out there, I'm looking forward to joining that flock.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:41 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlyG
I guess I should feel fortunate that my TT(6000 lbs gvw) has 12 year old tires with about 10k and they are still holding up.
Might want to consider swapping in a new set prior to the next trip.

Quick story: Some years ago, a buddy bought a used low mileage B-Van, I commented that his tires (forget exactly which brand, but they were among the better brands) were 5 years old with low miles (not a healthy combination) and that he should budget replacement within the next year. He pushed-back with the typical 'But they've got plenty of tread . . .' statement and basically ignored me. About 1K miles later, his wife was at the wheel, a front blew at highway speed, and she E-mailed a bunch of us to relay that she and the rig were still in good shape. I forwarded that E-mail back to my buddy with the open comment that I promised not to tell his wife about the prediction if he promised to not push the tire life again. He quickly got-religion and was *extremely* glad that I would not mention anything to his Missus.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't just look at tread. I looked for signs of old age in the sun. That is why it's so surprising to me that 5 year old tires fall apart. I do know the odds are against me, but moola is tight for a while. I may take it out to Banning at the end of the month one last time with the OG tires.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:53 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by CharlyG
I didn't just look at tread. I looked for signs of old age in the sun. That is why it's so surprising to me that 5 year old tires fall apart. I do know the odds are against me, but moola is tight for a while. I may take it out to Banning at the end of the month one last time with the OG tires.

Take a look at the tires shown in posts # 1 & 8, they look pretty decent except for the fact that they are completely destroyed. Earlier in the day that they died they looked perfect. Make sure your spare(s) are ready.......
Some of the trailer tire manufactures are now recommending replacement as early as 3 years, the tires shown above were 3 and 4 years old.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:49 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts

Our tire on the good side.. other side bald
Just before trip it looked normal

Old 01-06-2017, 02:52 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,405 Likes on 1,001 Posts

maybe 2 year old tire...I got it warranteed since it was new enough, actually I got two of them.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:49 AM
rockertom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by senix

maybe 2 year old tire...I got it warranteed since it was new enough, actually I got two of them.
WOW, looks like a retread from years gone by. Lucky there.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:56 AM
rockertom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought new tires for the RV. Since 3 of the tires and the spare now in use are Provider ST tires. I did a search and found them. Contacted them through their website. Ordered 10ply tires for the camper. According to their chart. Looks like they have increased the PSI and speed rating of the tires. Not that I will be towing at 80mph. But I like like the though of the tires having the capacity to do so. They ship directly from the warehouse. Lucky for me though. They are doing a show here in a couple of weeks and will bring the tires down on their truck. Save me some shipping fees. Price was solid too at $75 a tire for the 225's load E. I'll be up and running again in no time now. Life is good again. Here is a link to their website.

http://taskmasterproducts.com/products/provider-st-radial/
​​​​​​​

Old 01-28-2017, 05:59 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Good luck with them Tom!
I need to check with my tire guy to see if my Sailuns are off national backorder yet......I have everything else ready to go with my upgrades but I need to new tires to make the changes.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,405 Likes on 1,001 Posts
looks like maybe they are USA made tires?

Old 01-28-2017, 07:20 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
We have 5K on our new LT tires. Not showing any wear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got lucky today with a RV tire.