1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel leak near fuel bowl...help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 12:08 AM
Dezl Newbie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel leak near fuel bowl...help.

So just got back from a 3 hour round trip to find out i have a fuel leak near my fuel bowl. I dont know what the part is called nor exactly where on it is leaking. Its literally right bellow where my finger is.
what is it, why would it suddenly start leaking and be leaking "when truck is running only"? How do i fix it too and is it an expensive fix, shop vs DIY?

Old 12-25-2016, 12:10 AM
Dezl Newbie
Junior User
Also what is that sensor dealy to the right of my finger that looks new?

Old 12-25-2016, 09:16 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,186 Likes on 815 Posts
That's the fuel pressure regulator, there's two O rings being it, just remove the two 10mm bolts and you will see them also a good chance to clean the fuel pressure screen. Just make sure you use Viton O rings or look into riffraffdiesel.com he's got what you need for your rig.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:37 AM
JAFO1
Senior User
That sensor is a know leak point. It's so common, I just tell my Ford parts dude "I need to replace 'the leaker'" and he knows exactly what I'm talking about. And, yes, fuel pressure sensor.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:19 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by JAFO1
That sensor is a know leak point. It's so common, I just tell my Ford parts dude "I need to replace 'the leaker'" and he knows exactly what I'm talking about. And, yes, fuel pressure sensor.
thats a fuel restriction sensor.

Op. Be ultimately careful screwing that in if you ever have it out. The housing is THIN!! You will brake it.
Below your finger there is a line that the regulator pushes over. The regulator has an oring init and the tune pushes in . I had that leak once upon a time before I "fixed" my system properly once and for all.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:33 PM
JAFO1
Senior User
Sorry, I usually call it the fuel pressure sensor. I can attest as to the fragility where that sensor screws into the fuel bowl, I went to finger tight, then thought a little more would be good. I thought wrong, the housing snapped.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 AM
Dezl Newbie
Junior User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
That's the fuel pressure regulator, there's two O rings being it, just remove the two 10mm bolts and you will see them also a good chance to clean the fuel pressure screen. Just make sure you use Viton O rings or look into riffraffdiesel.com he's got what you need for your rig.
do i need to remove lines and/or the sensor to replace those o-rings? Hiw do i "clean" the screen you are refering to...and is that screen inside the regulator?

Old 12-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Dezl Newbie
Junior User
do you got a oicture of the o ring kit so i know what im looking at...otherwise i should be able to figure it out once i tear the regulator out.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:27 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,186 Likes on 815 Posts
Riffraffdiesel.com has all you need.
As for removing the housing no need to remove the fuel lines its kind of cramped butcan be worked on, man I'm trying to find a exploded view but can't find one here's one from a 95
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1276027719

Old 12-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Dezl Newbie
Junior User
Riffraffdiesel.com has all you need.
As for removing the housing no need to remove the fuel lines its kind of cramped butcan be worked on, man I'm trying to find a exploded view but can't find one here's one from a 95
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1276027719
i did end up having to renove most of the lines going into the regulator. There is a line going into the bottom that is a formed steel line that i cannot get off. I cant get the regulator to come off of the fuel bowl until that forned line is off. Wtf....this thing is being a pain. How dies the line go into the regulator? i cant find a head to put a wrench on.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Dezl Newbie
Junior User
Originally Posted by Dezl Newbie
i did end up having to renove most of the lines going into the regulator. There is a line going into the bottom that is a formed steel line that i cannot get off. I cant get the regulator to come off of the fuel bowl until that forned line is off. Wtf....this thing is being a pain. How dies the line go into the regulator? i cant find a head to put a wrench on.
aparently the steel formed line just slides into the bottom of the regulator...hmmm doesnt sound very secure, since it was leaking from the bottom of the regulator, i am going to assume it was that slip in line that was leaking. Pictures to follow.

P.S. is it just worth replacing the regulator NOW while i have it out and save myself future headaches? What can i put on that slip in line to have it seal better?

i also only found one o ring and i found the screen.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Dezl Newbie
Junior User
Originally Posted by Dezl Newbie
aparently the steel formed line just slides into the bottom of the regulator...hmmm doesnt sound very secure, since it was leaking from the bottom of the regulator, i am going to assume it was that slip in line that was leaking. Pictures to follow.

P.S. is it just worth replacing the regulator NOW while i have it out and save myself future headaches? What can i put on that slip in line to have it seal better?

i also only found one o ring and i found the screen.
That hole is where that odd slip in steel formed line goes. How do i seal it up better or is there a recomended delete for it?

Old 12-29-2016, 09:30 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Yes...that delete is called "E-Fuel". Do it...you won't look back.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a leak too, but haven't investigated yet. The previous owner changed out the whole fuel filter assembly about 50k miles ago. I'm watching this thread and taking notes...keep at it Dezl Newbie!

Old 12-29-2016, 10:49 AM
paintubturner
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a fuel leak. I'm hoping info from this thread will help me pin point it.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak near fuel bowl...help.