6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
View Poll Results: Which Injectors
cores rebuilt stock
0%
ford reman stock
100.00%
cores rebuilt 155/0
0%
cores rebuilt 155/??
0%
cores rebuilt ???/??
0%
ford reman 155/0
0%
ford reman 155/??
0%
ford reman ???/??
0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Help me choose injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 06:57 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Help me choose injectors

I'm looking at doing injectors (I believe they're leaking high pressure oil) and wanted to get some input on what would work well, drive well, and make some power to have fun with. I don't do any towing.

I don't want to mess with bigger fuel pumps or regulated returns so any size that requires that is out (I don't know when it's needed). Blue spring and banjos is fine.

2005 excursion, 2004 engine with the wavy rails. Engine is studded and deleted. KC1.5 turbo. Just had adrenaline high output pump installed.

If you vote for one of the wild card options please post up what you suggest.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2016, 09:41 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't want to mess with fuel pump or regulators or any fuel system related stuff... stick to Ford Remans.

Bigger injectors require fuel system upgrades to run correctly or you risk running them low on pressure, that means lean in the cylinder as well.... not good. Without the supporting system, bigger injectors would be a waste of money as well.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:45 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by WatsonR
You don't want to mess with fuel pump or regulators or any fuel system related stuff... stick to Ford Remans.

Bigger injectors require fuel system upgrades to run correctly or you risk running them low on pressure, that means lean in the cylinder as well.... not good. Without the supporting system, bigger injectors would be a waste of money as well.
Interesting. I didn't figure the stock fuel system was without limits, but I also didn't figure there was literally no overhead either.

Also, lean in the cylinder is fine. You can't hurt a diesel engine running it lean, that only applies to gasoline engines. In a 6.0 you can hurt the injector from low pressure, but that's not a rich/lean thing.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:40 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by seijirou
Also, lean in the cylinder is fine. You can't hurt a diesel engine running it lean, that only applies to gasoline engines. In a 6.0 you can hurt the injector from low pressure, but that's not a rich/lean thing.
You beat me to it. And to add to that, it is over fueling that will cause damage from torching, melted piston tops and/or top glands.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:18 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
With Ford or IH remans you know what your getting and that is the biggest thing.
A new spool valve would be top on the list. Some of the fly by night Ebay rebuilders
are only selling you a cleaned injector and not truly a remanufactured injector.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:38 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm not trying to sway votes but here's a little video courtesy of Motorcraft.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:52 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Injectors are my weakest point about these trucks.. always learning. Thanks guys!

I'm curious about this thread as well since your running the KC 1.5. How is that with stock injectors... assuming that's what you have now? I have the supporting fuel system upgrades and stock injectors and the 03' turbo.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:37 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Injectors are my weakest point about these trucks.. always learning. Thanks guys!

I'm curious about this thread as well since your running the KC 1.5. How is that with stock injectors... assuming that's what you have now? I have the supporting fuel system upgrades and stock injectors and the 03' turbo.
All good man, I'm learning something every single day. The more I learn the more aware I am of how much more is out there I don't know.

I'm assuming the injectors are stock, lol.

AFAIK this turbo should be just fine with stock injectors, or a little larger than stock. Charlie says it's not intended to compete with a powermax for peak horsepower, but it is intended to "beat" the pmax in spool and mid range so it should be a great towing and around town turbo.

Personally I don't think I've ever seen the potential. I had it on an 05 dually first, and now my 05 excursion. For me it's been a bit laggy, *however* I am comparing that to my first ever 6.0 when I knew literally zero about them. It was an 06 F250 and that truck was super responsive and really quick but had rust issues. Chris at Truck Source Diesel here in San Antonio said that he believed it had larger injectors based on the power it made even with a stock flash. I have no idea what was under the skirt of that 06 but everything visible was stock.. no studs, no big fuel upgrades, etc. but man that thing was a lot of fun to drive. That's why I figured there must be some step up in injectors you can run without getting in to pumps and regulators. I've been chasing that F250's experience ever since.

On my dually I think it may have had an exhaust leak in the manifold or y pipe which will obliterate the performance of any turbo diesel. That one also had tons of miles on it and possibly HPO issues as I didn't know as well then how to find those problems.
On this excursion I now know the HPOP was weak since I got it, and it had HPO leaks. I still have HPO leaks and still have the factory exhaust so again there's no way I can actually realize the potential until all that is managed.

Thanks to the feedback in this thread I did some more targeted homework and see that in fact even 155's are pushing it on stock fuel supply. My injectors aren't in bad shape, an IDS showed good contribution on all cylinders when fully hot and only slightly down on 2 when cold. I think they're just leaking high pressure oil. I was just thinking this might be a "while I'm in there" thing but I think what I'm going to do now is get new seals for these injectors. Buy the stuff to do the nipple cups too, and do my first "injector" job without getting new ones for now; I can follow your how-to on that job. Perhaps I'll even try following along with that other how-to on this site also for cleaning the spool valves. Then put it all back together with a turbo-back and see where I'm at. If after getting everything running right it still doesn't scratch the itch like my old f250 did then I can look at bigger injectors with the necessary fuel mods to support them.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:51 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
From my perspective, I'm on the other side. Stock injectors and turbo. Upgraded fuel pump pushing 75psi and no issues maintaining that. I'm running the SLR Extreme race tune from GEARHEAD and the Atlas 40 FICM tune for added fuel and the turbo can't keep up. On hard throttle, it's smoking black initially... but it's really fun to drive and I know I'm at the limit of both the injectors and the turbo now, why I asked about the KC 1.5. Heard the Power Max was an EGT maker, that concerns me as I can now hit 1250 on hard throttle. The truck pulls all the way through 100+ mph and is still building speed.

It tows good, gets about 15-16 mpg in town and 20-21 mpg highway... maybe I should leave it alone.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:49 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Mine will smoke like hell from a stop if you step on it. You have to feather it before you put your foot down or you just end up blowing smoke and not really getting anywhere. This is the "laggyness" that I've been talking about on both my 05 dually and this 05 excursion however, again, I have a feeling it's a symptom of other issues not the turbo.

My 06 was not like that at all. You'd get some smoke even on a stock tune (that's why Chris @ TSD thought it had bigger sticks in it) but when you hit the pedal it would just **** and go, any situation stopped or rolling.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:26 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Clean the MAP and EBP sensors and tubes feeding them, then try it.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:05 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have full force 155/stock...dont waste your time or money with those. Id do ford reman or 155/30.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:06 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by acf6
I have full force 155/stock...dont waste your time or money with those. Id do ford reman or 155/30.
What mods did you have to do to maintain your fuel pressure with the larger injectors?

Old 12-25-2016, 11:10 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Blue spring, stock 209k mile fuel pump. Even on my heaviest fuel tunes (TSD SPD, innov extreme race) i dont drop below 50psi with hard throttle.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:16 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by acf6
Blue spring, stock 209k mile fuel pump. Even on my heaviest fuel tunes (TSD SPD, innov extreme race) i dont drop below 50psi with hard throttle.
Okay thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Help me choose injectors