Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Performance Sub Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:44 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
and you have no idea how long it took for that to happen. it was not just a "we want it so it happened overnight" thing.
AND the 61-63 unibody sub forum has more than 3 or 4 posters in it, don't it?
So it's a long process - who cares? Just because it takes awhile doesn't make it impossible. Heck, decent IDI performance itself took 30 years to finally come around. We have to start somewhere, and what better way to start than a simple poll to see if there is actually any interest or if it's just a disgruntled Cummins owner's crazy idea.

As for only 3 or 4 posters, we both know that there are a lot of "NA to Turbo" or "Turbo Question" threads that get started that would fit right in the performance section. If Macrrob, IDIot, RacinNdrummin, and a couple others start a build thread, so much the better.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:51 AM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
If you want a separate sub forum how about you work on getting more than a couple posts a day in the current section and enough regulars to justify a logical separation rather than dividing the already extremely limited user base? Personally I would participate a lot less here if I had to review three separate sections instead or two... or really four instead of three currently as 80-96 is broken into two sections though there is at least a reasonably large group of participants in each of them.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:05 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
my problem with this is that, these engines are dinosaurs.
theres only so much you can do with them.
no matter how hard people try to squeeze every ounce of bang for the buck out of these, you still have a pre cup to deal with ...... INDIRECT injection. YOU CANNOT CHEAT PHYSICS
most of the IDI world are jewish in the wallet, and don't want to put the money to make these things "fast" and I don't give 2 shats how many R&D parts you throw into your engine, theres always an electronic version of the 7.3 that will create more power in stock form with simple computer mods.
the performance section is irrelevant.
if you have an IDI its because of 1 of 2 reasons.
1, they are reliable. once you start squeezing the juice out of them, you start having issues, like any machine.
2, because people want mechanical injection vs the electronic crap.
if you want mucho powero out of a mechanical injected diesel, even tho I dislike the I-6's the answer is not questionable.

if you want to research dinosaur engines, just go ahead and research the flathead against the 302....

if you want power, you go one way, unless you have thousands to throw at it.
if you want the nostalgia, and the same power, be ready to drop 4k+ and then experience failures.

as someone who has dropped more than 4k on a IDI, hell I have more than 1500 into the heads alone. building them for power is cool and all, but there still a GD dinosaur....
but... I love my Truckasaurus Sex!

FYI, even the biggest IDI site on the net does not have a "performance sub forum" everything is intergrated into one.... and personally, with all the different types of trucks I have, and the many many forums out there, adding another one makes me wanna log off and get my @$$ back to work.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:26 AM
shorerider16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My @.02, I like having it all in one place. It's a small group and I don't feel overwhelmed to scan through one page and see what's new. I personally don't like overly subdivided forums and think that this forum in particular would suffer if it was split up.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:56 PM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IDIoit
my problem with this is that, these engines are dinosaurs.
theres only so much you can do with them.
no matter how hard people try to squeeze every ounce of bang for the buck out of these, you still have a pre cup to deal with ...... INDIRECT injection. YOU CANNOT CHEAT PHYSICS
most of the IDI world are jewish in the wallet, and don't want to put the money to make these things "fast" and I don't give 2 shats how many R&D parts you throw into your engine, theres always an electronic version of the 7.3 that will create more power in stock form with simple computer mods.
the performance section is irrelevant.
if you have an IDI its because of 1 of 2 reasons.
1, they are reliable. once you start squeezing the juice out of them, you start having issues, like any machine.
2, because people want mechanical injection vs the electronic crap.
if you want mucho powero out of a mechanical injected diesel, even tho I dislike the I-6's the answer is not questionable.

if you want to research dinosaur engines, just go ahead and research the flathead against the 302....

if you want power, you go one way, unless you have thousands to throw at it.
if you want the nostalgia, and the same power, be ready to drop 4k+ and then experience failures.

as someone who has dropped more than 4k on a IDI, hell I have more than 1500 into the heads alone. building them for power is cool and all, but there still a GD dinosaur....
but... I love my Truckasaurus Sex!

FYI, even the biggest IDI site on the net does not have a "performance sub forum" everything is intergrated into one.... and personally, with all the different types of trucks I have, and the many many forums out there, adding another one makes me wanna log off and get my @$$ back to work.
It's not worth losing that much fur over,even if you're only scratching yourself.
Hell, I'm driving an orphan here in NZ, who has a half ton bullnose with an idi in it in Dunedin, NZ? Point is even with a good mail system,, and good parts, I'm up for about 5k to freshen the motor when it poops.
Don't even count the downtime or the possibility of cracked heads etc.
Call me silly but I'm looking hard at electric. There's a bunch here doing it, I like the old truck, technology is getting to match affordability and it might be worth it.
But I won't be welcome here no more....

Old 12-31-2016, 02:07 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I think some of the appeal of keeping it together is so that those who come in here with this old engine can see that beyond needing maintenance to run, that you can build them to twice the stock power.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:18 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Alright, I give. It looks like it's just a disgruntled Cummins owner's crazy idea.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:03 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
IDIoit, count me in the club that hate electronics and computers on vehicles, and I like the reliability that goes with simple mechanical machines. I need my truck to just plain work every time and want a bit of extra power, enough to consider it quick. I fully expect to keep my '86 for the rest of my life, if it needs $4k or $8k of stuff to make it perform to my expectations and keep on going them so be it. It's way cheaper than a new $50k+ truck that I'd hate and would be worthless junk in 5-10 years.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:57 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cadunkle
IDIoit, count me in the club that hate electronics and computers on vehicles, and I like the reliability that goes with simple mechanical machines. I need my truck to just plain work every time and want a bit of extra power, enough to consider it quick. I fully expect to keep my '86 for the rest of my life, if it needs $4k or $8k of stuff to make it perform to my expectations and keep on going them so be it. It's way cheaper than a new $50k+ truck that I'd hate and would be worthless junk in 5-10 years.

im in it for the nostalgia, I cant lie.
I really really like old stuff. and these trucks were made superior.
this is why I chose my 87 to be my daily driver.
I don't mind electronics. and my SD is not only comfortable, but will be reliable.
but for the long haul, I still prefer the IDI. im just addicted to ford trucks, and im only missing a few generations.

I was in the situation where I had a stack of bills ready to make a down payment on a new vehicle, but none of the vehicles I wanted would hold my required 9 passengers and still provide the type of lifestyle ive built.
so a highly modified vehicle was my only option.
I came in at 1/3 of the budget I was looking to spend on a new truck, and thus far, im super happy with it.
I love these IDI's like I love my flatheads, FE's, MEL's, PSD's, and my ponchos!

Old 01-01-2017, 08:36 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If the mods will add a subforum, I say go for it. It's not like having a performance subforum would detract from anything and some users would like it.

It would be interesting to have dyno graphs/vids, turbo upgrade conparisons etc etc in one place. I'd be lying if I said I have not thought about how awesome it would be to somehow stuff one of Justin's engines in my '88 e250.......although it will probably never happen.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:49 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's a performance tip for you; put larger tires on the rear than you have on the front. That way you're always driving downhill.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:04 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Alright, I give. It looks like it's just a disgruntled Cummins owner's crazy idea.
not a crazy idea.

if there were 100 or more people posting performance builds, i would say it would probably be a good idea to approach administration about it.
but to only have 2-3 people doing the builds it very possible could turn into a "this is our section. play by our rules or take a hike" deal.
we have run into this issue before, and it never turns out well when there are only a few people posting in a sub forum.

and sorry if i came off as an ogre last week, it was not a good time for me. i have been in a lot of pain the past week and see from my posts i have been a bit of a bigger asterisk than i normally am.
doc gave me some new pain killers this morning that seem to be working a little better.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:23 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tjc transport
not a crazy idea.

if there were 100 or more people posting performance builds, i would say it would probably be a good idea to approach administration about it.
but to only have 2-3 people doing the builds it very possible could turn into a "this is our section. play by our rules or take a hike" deal.
we have run into this issue before, and it never turns out well when there are only a few people posting in a sub forum.

and sorry if i came off as an ogre last week, it was not a good time for me. i have been in a lot of pain the past week and see from my posts i have been a bit of a bigger asterisk than i normally am.
doc gave me some new pain killers this morning that seem to be working a little better.
No harm, no foul - hope you get to feeling better.