5.4 rebuild ?s

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 12:48 PM
fordf2501
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.4 rebuild ?s

after the holidays i will be going to get me a junkyard 5.4 and i am going to rebuild it have it machined everything im going to start from the block up.
i would like to know what kind of performance parts i can include in my build?
and if anyone has used or done anything or wish they would have done things different.
i know for a fact i will be going with forged connecting rods not sure about what type of pistons yet that will require more research same with the crank. i know if i change the cams i and going to start opening a can of worms with the pcm.
do they make any good roller lifters and springs? if so what is a good company i want my truck to be reliable im not going forced induction nor nitrous. are there any high performance oil pumps for these engines.
i was thinking about looking at mustangs and see if the 4.6 has some high performance parts that will work with the 5.4.
any advice yall have im open to it just trying to get some more grunt out of the 5.4.
the truck it will be going in is a 2001 f250 4x4 it has 4.10 gears and a limited slip in the back from the factory and it already has some pep from the gears.
i would just like to bullet proof this new engine and get some more power out while i have a chance

Old 01-31-2017, 07:02 AM
Brad Brown
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I see you have no replys as well. I was looking for some of the same info, even a re- manufactured engine and not many people know about the 5.4 it seems for overhauling. Too bad!

Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM
fordf2501
Senior User
from what i have found digging up on the internet there are some companies that sell high performance oil pumps for the 5.4 same with rockers and valve springs and valves and cams and etc. but and this is a HUGE but they are extremely expensive way more than i want to spend.
what i am going to do is send the heads off to be checked for cracks have them machined flat on the deck and have a gasket match and polish done to them same for the exhaust ports. i am sending the block to be magnafluxed and going to have the corners grinded down to prevent cracks. and have the block line honed and new bearings in the block and heads for the cams and crank.
also i am going for the trick flow timing chains and parts they have kits that offer stronger parts that hold up better to high performance so should work great with a stock engine

Old 02-03-2017, 10:11 PM
Ncfloyd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for it

I am doing the same with my expy mud truck. Trickflow has a cam kit around 800 bucks that is complete with spring, retainers and locks. Basically everything you need to turn your stock head to performance. And you probably won't have to tune it. Just make sure you get timing right. I'd say get the 34#injectors to add a little fuel. There are different types of connecting rods but if your stock is in good shape just put a standard rebuild kit on it with new big end bearings, journal and rod bearings. These 4.6 and 5.4 mod motor lower ends can handle a ton of hp and all. You would be surprised. I'm also looking into a twin turbo set up. Found 1 on ebay for around 1300 but would suggest buying just for the kit and upgrading the turbos. As I keep building I will keep you filled in. My state all you need is cats and turn downs so I'm not too sure on exhaust.

Last edited by Ncfloyd; 02-03-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
Old 02-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Brad Brown
More Turbo
New remain engine

I just bought a new FORD 5.4 from the ford dealer. 9C3Z-6006-AARM is the part number. I will send pic's when I get it out of the box.

The overhaul has started. New BulletProof bush bumper, m12000 warn winch, 4 LEDS in bumper, 4" lift, detroit locker, new brakes and shocks, headache rack with winch, new toyo M/T tires 285/70R17. Should be a good bush truck when finished! I will send pic's on the progress!

Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 AM
fordf2501
Senior User
how much did the ford reman set you back if you dont mind me asking and is it 2v or 3v?

Old 02-13-2017, 10:18 PM
Brad Brown
More Turbo
engine price

I paid, 6494.32 plus 1100.00 for the core charge. 379.72 in TAX for a big total of $7974.04 Canadian!
3 year 50,000km warranty

Old 02-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Brad Brown
More Turbo
Pic of the new 5.4

No bag removal until it is time! too many loose parts and fat fingers. HAHAHAHAHA

Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad Brown
I paid, 6494.32 plus 1100.00 for the core charge. 379.72 in TAX for a big total of $7974.04 Canadian!
3 year 50,000km warranty
Is that for a long block? I am in the midst of getting some quotes and have some for the long and the short block dont have the engine part numbers to go by. Just curious , I am leaning more to a long block because I have some concerns about some part that would be swapped to a short block

Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 PM
Brad Brown
More Turbo
If you look above in this thread it has the part number for this long block. Yes that was my issue too, you might as well bit the bullet and buy it completed. All the extra parts all add up too. With the long block I still bought a new belt tensioner, idler pulley, new hoses for the rad, and am trying to source the highest output alternator too.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:06 PM
Brad Brown
More Turbo
Got it through Marlborough Ford Dealer in Calgary..

Old 02-18-2017, 01:01 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brad Brown
If you look above in this thread it has the part number for this long block. Yes that was my issue too, you might as well bit the bullet and buy it completed. All the extra parts all add up too. With the long block I still bought a new belt tensioner, idler pulley, new hoses for the rad, and am trying to source the highest output alternator too.
I would rather go with a long block as well, I would rather not re use parts if possible, I would like to not have to worry about the engine for a while. I have been considering a fudge budget as well just in case there are any unforseen expenses, one of the things on my list is putting in a new radiator.

The one in my truck has been there since new, but these radiators are know to leak and especially where the plastic parts of the tank meet the metal they have been known to start to wear and leak from there. I was hoping I could find a fully welded radiator like that have for the diesels with the mishimoto ones, but I dont see one for the 5.4 or gas engines to be honest

I am going to give the guys at Marlborough a call for a quote. I am hoping to get this done in the next few weeks when I will have the time

Old 02-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Brad Brown
More Turbo
That is a good idea for the Rad, after I read this I went to look at mine and yah it looks pretty old and tired after 325K ! I will be looking for one as well, or at least getting the existing one tested and cleaned. There is solid bush and bugs between the rads now I just saw! Lots of cleaning for sure.
The guys name is Barry at Marlborough Ford and you get a free hat with the purchase! Tell him Brad set you! HAHAHAHAHAHA.
Let me know what you find on a rad if you find a better one for sure!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
I have 299k on my 08 and I was told it would be a good idea to replace the rad while they are in there now then having to pay to have it done later, Ford guy says sooner or later it will leak and he said since the engine is new, the rad replacement is cheap to do now rather than later when it leaks

Old 03-04-2017, 08:23 PM
drymike66
Trailering
rebuilds

I just did replacement of a 3v 5.4 on a 03 f250, long block was 2879 with 100k warranty can't complain they have been good so far I think it was tri star motor

Quick Reply: 5.4 rebuild ?s