1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

HELP PLEASE..Gas Tank Sender for new add on tank elec fuel pump info also

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:04 AM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
HELP PLEASE..Gas Tank Sender for new add on tank elec fuel pump info also

Hi Guys. Well "Ethyl the tool truck"(1955 Ford C600) is having some work done by my friend Justin while I go on vacation. Even though the timing isnt right to go on vacation trying to get back up and running the tool business that has been down while Ethyl gets built....I did purchase this vacation a ways back knowing it was a big wedding anniversary coming up....well that anniversary is now here so Ill be in beautiful Puerto Vallarta Mexico starting Tuesday. So Ill be in Mexico for Christmas and will ring in the New Year down there also...Let me wish you all Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

While Im gone Justin who works at doing various projects for another friend is going to add a 50 gallon barrel gas tank under the box on the passenger side just behind the cab area to sit across from the 8 kw generator to balance the weight some and to give me the fuel capacity I need. QUESTION #1...the fuel tank sender.....whats needed to get the original gas gauge in the cluster to read? Its my understanding you have to know what the ohms reading or something in order to match up the proper sender with the gauge how do you measure that?...Justin will also be converting this truck to 12 VOLT while I am gone so that needs to factor in to equation. #2 Any suggestions for plumbing in an electric fuel pump? I would like to have both a mechanical and the electric choice...using the mechanical most of the time and the electric if the mechanical should fail. What is the best way to accomplish that?.... #3 And there is something about making sure there isnt too much pressure being pumped though right? Is it like 4 psi??? The 2 barrel carburetor is a Holley "TeaPot" 4100. #4 What is the best set up for keeping the fuel pressure psi correct? Some kind of inline valve and an inline pressure gauge? Im going to make sure Justin signs up here before I go so he can pick at your brains if he needs to....any suggestions etc for these two projects that are underway would be appreciated....Im also doing the tank and fuel pump to eliminate any related gas tank/fuel pressure crap that might be causing the truck to backfire through the carburetor under load....like it is doing since this rebuilt carb was put on.....The truck and carburetor may have to take a trip back to Stan at San Diego Carburetor if this doesnt solve the problem but like I said
those potential reasons need to be eliminated.
#5 Any problems/precautions with going 12 Volt with the 2 speed rear end?
#6 He will be replacing my speedometer and gauge cluster. I only saw the speedo work for like a minute before it failed on the initial test drive when I took delivery of the truck so I dont know if anything is set up or not. The old speedo head broke within moments of that drive when the badly whining cable caused the speedo needle to bounce too much and then bury itself in the right side of the gauge...#7 Is there something special with the two speed differential and the speedometer head or is there some kind of a splitter for when the gears are different that he should look at? Its been a real challenge never having a gas gauge that works or a speedometer/Odometer that worked for knowing where I sit for how much gasoline I actually have at any given time....current very small 17 gallon tank for this large truck doesnt help with that either---50 gallon tank will be very welcome

Last edited by mytoolman; 12-18-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling