6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Another 6.4 purchase question thread, but sure appreciate the advice! 2009 F450 with 85k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:12 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, getting the exhaust off to do the delete was not a fun ordeal. Truck came from Iowa, and the bolts, nuts, clamps, etc pretty much fused together. What I thought would be a few hour job turned into an all day ordeal, with lots of four letter words and a bunch of bud light.

But, the truck runs good now. Havent driven it much since the delete. Now waiting on Uncle Sam to send me a tax return for the coolant filter, oil bypass filter, and fass or airdog. This truck is a money pit.....haha!

Old 02-18-2017, 07:10 PM
jimh425
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on getting the delete done!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:09 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
Originally Posted by whitesdford
Well, getting the exhaust off to do the delete was not a fun ordeal. Truck came from Iowa, and the bolts, nuts, clamps, etc pretty much fused together. What I thought would be a few hour job turned into an all day ordeal, with lots of four letter words and a bunch of bud light.

But, the truck runs good now. Havent driven it much since the delete. Now waiting on Uncle Sam to send me a tax return for the coolant filter, oil bypass filter, and fass or airdog. This truck is a money pit.....haha!
did you use one of the various methods to disable re-gens. Once the DPF is removed, the truck will regen every 600 miles as a fail safe in case the EBP sensor has failed. with a straight pipe in place of a DPF, scenarios could happen that will result in a fire.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:06 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
I set the mini maxx to shut the egr valve off. Its set on delete and no egr. Didnt see anything on the mini maxx to disable regens though.....

First impressions is this thing with a stock tune, has a lot more power. Definitely woke the engine up.

Another noticeable item, is the lie o meter was telling me 10.6 mpg as an average on two tanks of gas for mileage pre delete. Now its telling me 16.6. Will hand calculate this to see what the true mileage is.

I installed the muffler that came with the exhaust kit, and it still has a noticeable exhaust noise. Not near as loud as my 7.3 though.

So far so good on the truck. Time will tell! Thx everyone!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
On mini max if you selected "high surfer fuel' then you can select delete - regent is automatically disabled. You are good to go.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Just looked, and the info says high sulfer fuel as a setting, am i good to go?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:40 PM
whitesdford
Elder User

First pic of my new truck. Will update pics.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can offer a few opinions and a bit of experience.

I used a Spartan tuner and have nothing but good to say about it. It is not a tune on the fly system and the arguments against those was good enough for me. Spartan reflashes the computer in the truck. New programming essentially. Tune on the fly systems intercept and then modify signals. At the time I remember not being convinced this was the best way to go.

Air Dog. The factory water separator was a complete joke and I'm quite convinced it's what led to the demise of my HPFP, taking a $7,000 bite out of my wallet. I didn't own the truck long enough after I installed the Air Dog to rate its' separating effectiveness, but I swear the truck ran just a bit stronger after I installed it. It seemed a bit more responsive as well.

Cold Air Intakes. Dont waste your money. The big sell on these is more airflow but the factory intake systems will flow way more air than you can draw using the stock turbo/injectors/and any tune you can reasonably throw at it. Marketing B.S.

Not sure what you've exactly done with your exhaust but I straight piped mine, no muffler. Hard to describe the effect. In the cab all I normally heard was a slight throaty rumble of the engine. Sounded good. Till going past something the exhaust note could bounce off of, like an underpass or something. Then I discovered it made this god-awful insanely loud wooshing sound, especially with some kind of load. Sounded like a jet engine under full afterburner. I felt bad for everybody I passed when hauling my 5th wheel.

My local dealerships use techs that were either A)clueless, or B)didn't care. They could cause as much or more problem than they solved. Long stories. At the end of the day I traveled 10 hrs to a shop that has done me solid on 4 different trucks and a couple different 6.x platforms.

Their opinion on certain "truths" about the 6.4, and saving me money I was trying to spend in the process...

The 6.4 does not need studs. For any tune you can throw at it while still using the stock parts.

EGR deletes are not generally necessary. Everything can fail, but they had not experienced any significant EGR problems like the 6.0.

Sand in the block. The maintenance manager said this is complete bunk. He said they have done hundreds of 6.x trucks and have never found sand. Ever. He said what they have found, a lot, was trucks whose owners didnt properly maintain the coolant system. According to him when this occurs the coolant breaks down and turns into this gritty crap that everyone thinks is sand, but isn't. It does clog up the oil coolers though. If you maintain your coolant, filter not required, but....not bad as a bit of insurance.

Not sure about the '09s, but the '08s had radiator issues, but I knew about this. I bought mine with 17k on the clock and by 21k the radiator blew out and had to be replaced. Under warranty and the 2nd one lasted for as long as I owned it.

Replace your turbo boots, and the band clamps, with factory. The 6.4 makes a ton of boost under load. I could hit 45psi easy pulling my camper and up a hill. Unless they can tell you they were replaced with the engine I'd consider them suspect, and she will blow insane amounts of smoke and develop a whole lot of heat, if they blow and you're hauling. Destructive amounts of heat.

All that really comes to mind at the moment. The 08-10 F450s were absolute tow beasts. The drivetrain is SOLID and comes with the Super 60 front which is 6" wider than the standard 60 and lets that big honkin truck turn on a dime. 2011 on got a bit neutered in the rear axle, IMO.

Anyway, good luck with your truck.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:52 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru

First pic of my new truck. Will update pics.
Got sunroof? Love mine.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Just looked, and the info says high sulfer fuel as a setting, am i good to go?
Yes, you are good to go.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Thanks for all that info!! Great stuff to read!

A couple questions.....what do you guys set your defueling to off the pyros? I set mine at 1250, i know this is low, but new engine, etc.

What kind of boost numbers is considered normal with a mini maxx and a tow tune?

I'll look at the turbo boots tomorrow.

I did discover a K&N air filter installed. Taking it out and putting a stock one in. I hate the constant cleaning and reoiling those filters. Have an afe on my 7.3, gets old!

I have the muffler on, its loud enough. Not sure about the jet engine sound yet, its a 5 inch exhaust with a 7 inch tip.

Thx!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm
Got sunroof? Love mine.
Yes gots sunroof......haha

Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
One other thing, look at the upper radiator hose - these have plastic connections with seals. Hopefully the connection on the upper hose is white, that means the Ford replaced to address the cavitation. Look for YouTube by dieseltechron.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:00 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Duraflaps on mine, 3/4 inch stall mat in bed, WeathTech mats, Large steering wheel cover as regular ones won't fit.

Get a low profile 36mm and 3/8 ratchet behind the seat with a set of fuel filters. Also try removing your center caps with supplied tools, I had to add a pry bar to my kit.

Just ordered new front brake hoses, wow are they proud of those.