2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 F250 Lariat Quad beam LED headlight ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:31 PM
kammrk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 F250 Lariat Quad beam LED headlight ?

Sorry if I am asking this a second time, what is needed to switch over to the 2017 quadbeam headlights, I recently took delivery of a 2017 f250 Lariat with the regular stock headlights and want to switch them to the quadbeam's, will it even be possible? thanks.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:55 PM
Robmiezer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been asked 5 or 6 times.
At this time it is not worth the investment.
$2000 plus for the units (just headlights)
Will need an LED driver (balast)
Will need new wiring
I was intrested and a month ago when I picked up my truck, the techs still had no idea of everything needed to get it to work. Many are waiting for after market lights, prices to drop, or an after market plug and play harness.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-15-2016, 12:40 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Robmiezer
Been asked 5 or 6 times.
At this time it is not worth the investment.
$2000 plus for the units (just headlights)
Will need an LED driver (balast)
Will need new wiring
I was intrested and a month ago when I picked up my truck, the techs still had no idea of everything needed to get it to work. Many are waiting for after market lights, prices to drop, or an after market plug and play harness.
I will be working on a curved LED light bar. A few hundred bucks and twice or three times as much light. Wire a relay off the highbeams and feed it off an upfitter switch. LED headlights are nice but not worth another $2.5K.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:52 AM
DingusKhan
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasalas
I will be working on a curved LED light bar. A few hundred bucks and twice or three times as much light. Wire a relay off the highbeams and feed it off an upfitter switch. LED headlights are nice but not worth another $2.5K.
I found this one on Amazon. No way I'm going Rigid etc. This has good reviews.
Autofeel 32" Curved Led Light Bar
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AAJ4X3L5NPN8F

There is one somewhere on this forum that is a single row curved LED bar that looks pretty good but I can't find it again.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:18 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DingusKhan
I found this one on Amazon. No way I'm going Rigid etc. This has good reviews.
Autofeel 32" Curved Led Light Bar
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AAJ4X3L5NPN8F

There is one somewhere on this forum that is a single row curved LED bar that looks pretty good but I can't find it again.
I remember that post and it was a 39" single row. I like the single row but may go to double since either will cover the entire lower bar of the grill and can achieve as much power from a double as a much longer single. That is on my personal Build ll. The one shown had a relatively inexpensive mounting bar and although I had the brand of the light I could never locate it on google. I don't need top of the line but I prefer to stay away from complete off brand. This post came from AK Super Duty regarding his choice, I think he makes pretty good decisions.

Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
I'll be going with the in-grill roughcountry single row LED's with mounts as soon as they release it for the 2017.
On the other hand I don't want to cut the grill so this looks good too:
Originally Posted by NAVYSTANG64

And a couple of good options for the mounts:
Manufacturers of high quality Nerf Steps, Prerunners, Harley Bars, Light Bars, Replacement Front Bumpers, Rock Rails, Rear Runners, Tire Carriers & Truck Accessories

Ford F250-F350 Super Duty Light Bar 2008-2016

Old 12-15-2016, 08:20 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
The aftermarket typically always has products that offer better performance than stock, like audio systems or lighting, but they never look as good.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:10 AM
dh1200
Senior User
If they ever do come out with a plug and play harness, it would be between $350 -$400. Thats what the f150 harnesses are selling for. Then depending on your dealer, the lights themselves will cost you $1800-$2200. My biggest gripe with this truck. They should at least come standard on lariats without having to pay over $6000 for the package to get them. At least they could have at least offered halogen main lights with the C shaped led running lights like gm has on all their trims. Since now just about every other vehicle comes that way, it makes the truck look dated if it doesnt have them.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:24 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
I'll probably get blasted for this, since most of us really want LED headlights...but you are going to be better off sticking with your factory halogens in the F250. The LED's from the F150, I am assuming, are the exact same ones used on the F250. It would not make sense to build a new design when the ones from the F150 are on the shelf.

Scientific reality, from IIHS: The Ford F-150, the centerpiece of the best-selling F-Series line, is among the poorest performers. Both the base halogen and the optional LED low beams provide inadequate visibility in all test scenarios, including both sides of the straightaway, on sharp curves in both directions and on gradual curves in both directions. The LED lights also produce unacceptable glare. The high beams on both versions have mostly inadequate visibility too.

Note, the halogens they refer to in the F150 ARE different than the F250...but I'll bet a dozen donuts the F250 LEDs are the same as the F150 LEDs.

IIHS source link, if you'd like to read more: Pickups fall short in headlight testing

Old 12-15-2016, 11:05 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dh1200
At least they could have at least offered halogen main lights with the C shaped led running lights like gm has on all their trims. Since now just about every other vehicle comes that way, it makes the truck look dated if it doesnt have them.
I think you will see lighting changes rather quickly to both the F-150 and Super Duty line. GM has forced the issue. *All* of their half-ton trucks come with LED day running lights and either HID or LED headlamps as of 2016. (The Sierras look nicer than the Silverados). RAM, however, is not offering much in the way of standard lighting so maybe Ford can hold out a little longer.

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
I'll probably get blasted for this, since most of us really want LED headlights...but you are going to be better off sticking with your factory halogens in the F250. The LED's from the F150, I am assuming, are the exact same ones used on the F250. It would not make sense to build a new design when the ones from the F150 are on the shelf.

Scientific reality, from IIHS: The Ford F-150, the centerpiece of the best-selling F-Series line, is among the poorest performers. Both the base halogen and the optional LED low beams provide inadequate visibility in all test scenarios, including both sides of the straightaway, on sharp curves in both directions and on gradual curves in both directions. The LED lights also produce unacceptable glare. The high beams on both versions have mostly inadequate visibility too.

Note, the halogens they refer to in the F150 ARE different than the F250...but I'll bet a dozen donuts the F250 LEDs are the same as the F150 LEDs.

IIHS source link, if you'd like to read more: Pickups fall short in headlight testing
The Ford LED *elements* are absolutely the same between the F-150, Super Duty, and Fusion. I've also read the article you cite. However, the article is based upon specific criteria which IIHS is focusing on. The test does not examine high beams, nor low beams supplemented by fog lamps.

Also, while the Super Duty and F-150 use the same LED elements, they are not mounted in the same headlamp housings, nor are they located at the same height.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. As a former owner of a Land Rover LR3 with adaptive bi-xenon headlights, an Audi A8 with xenon low beams, a BMW X5 with adaptive bi-xenon headlights, and a Mercedes E320 with xenon headlamps...plus numerous other higher-end cars with halogen lights...these LED Super Duty lights are among the best. They produce a sharp and smoothly distributed light. I wish high-beam reached out a little further, but distribution is excellent.

IIHS is a little bit like Consumer Reports. They perform a very standardized test which does examine all facets.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Patrick Fancy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx

I test drove both the LED and Halogen F250, the LED was FAR superior to the halogen. Also, I have driven many different brands and models over the last few years (Chevy, Toyota, GMC, Nissan) and the new LEDs on the F250 are the best lights I have used. IMO, well worth the added cost.

To the OP, as said, the only real option (as I see it) is to see what comes up aftermarket. That said, most things are possible with the right budget.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:01 PM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It would probably be much cheaper just to install LED bulbs into the factory Halogen housings. The output should be pretty good.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:44 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by PwerStroke99
It would probably be much cheaper just to install LED bulbs into the factory Halogen housings. The output should be pretty good.
It would be cheaper, but you'd be blinding everyone else on the road. Nothing drives me more nuts than people that put bright bulbs into reflectors never designed for that type of bulb. The glare is awful, and illegal.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Stalwart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It is my understanding that some part of the LED light option is causing a parts constraint and build dates are slipping for those trucks. I don't know if it is the emitters or the housings just that my dealer is waiting for trucks. I love the lights, I've been using OEM HID's since 2003 and love these even more. Don't get me going on aftermarket HID's or cheap LED headlamps, makes my head explode with anger.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:17 PM
DingusKhan
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasalas
I remember that post and it was a 39" single row. I like the single row but may go to double since either will cover the entire lower bar of the grill and can achieve as much power from a double as a much longer single. That is on my personal Build ll. The one shown had a relatively inexpensive mounting bar and although I had the brand of the light I could never locate it on google. I don't need top of the line but I prefer to stay away from complete off brand. This post came from AK Super Duty regarding his choice, I think he makes pretty good decisions.

On the other hand I don't want to cut the grill so this looks good too:

And a couple of good options for the mounts:
Manufacturers of high quality Nerf Steps, Prerunners, Harley Bars, Light Bars, Replacement Front Bumpers, Rock Rails, Rear Runners, Tire Carriers & Truck Accessories

Ford F250-F350 Super Duty Light Bar 2008-2016
Luckily the n-fab crew puts in the first line 'doesn't work with adaptive cruise.' Which is VERY high on my list of reasons for buying a 2017 SD. I liked that single row light because it mounted to the grill or bumper. Wish I could find it again.
I'm with you, don't want to buy the cheapest POS out there. I'll wait until I get my truck they find something that will mount to the bumper. I really like the look of the curve light bars.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:30 PM
ekkudiesel
6th Gear
How reliable are the LED lights in these quad beam led headlamps? Are the light strips that make the distinctive bracket [ ====] look, replaceable? Or does the entire unit need replacing?

Quick Reply: 2017 F250 Lariat Quad beam LED headlight ?