1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Look what I bought today

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 10:10 AM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
I actually see both points of view and rather agree with both (strange I know). However I lean a bit more toward Vettex.

how much did you wager on this deal, Ihatecommiecars?
Less than I can sell the tires off of it for. I'm actually going to just drive it from where it's at 20 miles down the road to Ritchie Brothers Auction and sell it. I expect to get $2-$4000 for it at that bigger auction.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:50 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IHateCommieCars
No problem. I have better things to do that suck some employer's ***, so I buy and sell. And seriously, everything is a risk. You risk money buying a new truck that loses value when you drive it off the lot. You risk money borrowing to buy a car that you can't afford otherwise and must then pay interest and high-dollar insurance to protect your lender.

I'm sure you understand that it really is all about risk. Almost every vehicle is a good deal at some price. If you can buy it for less money than it takes you to haul it to the metal recycling plant, it's no risk. To just have a knee-jerk policy that you're not going to buy a vehicle without seeing it in person is kinda silly. Peace
I don't work for anyone. I don't buy new.
do you have any other ASSumptions you want to make ?

Old 12-16-2016, 02:09 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by vettex2
I don't work for anyone. I don't buy new.
do you have any other ASSumptions you want to make ?
Geezus, dude, what's your problem? I didn't say you worked for anyone; I said that I didn't. Nor did I say that you bought new; any person with a high school education could tell that I was using the generic 2nd person "you."

If you have an argument against the truth of what I said - I'd love to hear you make it. If anyone made an ASSumption here, it was your implication that I was risking money by buying this ambulance. I can't help it that your ego won't let you admit that I'm right, but throwing out a bunch of nonsensical insults isn't making you look good here. Really, you should have just said, "Yeah, I guess if you only paid a few dollars for it, it's not such a risk," and let it go.

SMH

Old 12-16-2016, 02:51 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
you quoted me. Who would you be talking to ? I guess there is a reason your avatar says bonehead.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:32 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
you quoted me. Who would you be talking to ? I guess there is a reason your avatar says bonehead.
SMH more nonsensical insults. I'm not going to respond in kind, as much as I'd like to, because I value this forum. People are here helping each other. Why don't you go be stupid somewhere else? The internet is full of places for trolls.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:18 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
So you call me a troll? I bet many many things cause you to "SMH".

I try to help those that can be helped. Some just can't be helped.

I think people who buy vehicles sight unseen are foolish.
Go to any car or truck forum and see how many think this is a wise idea. You won't find many
It's foolish

Old 12-16-2016, 08:05 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
So you call me a troll? I bet many many things cause you to "SMH".

I try to help those that can be helped. Some just can't be helped.

I think people who buy vehicles sight unseen are foolish.
Go to any car or truck forum and see how many think this is a wise idea. You won't find many
It's foolish
Well, let's see who's right. Do you wanna make a wager? I'll bet $500 that I net at least $1000 on this truck - and I never will even see it.

I'm going to either have it driven or towed from where it's at now to the Richie Bros. auction in Morris, Ill. The auction is not until March 24th, so it'll be awhile, but after I sell it, I can post the link to the auction where I bought it and the link to the RB auction results where I sold it. Plus, I'll post a copy of the tow truck charge and, if I have to buy one, the cost of a battery.

That's all I'm going to spend on it. It either starts with the battery, or a new battery, or it doesn't. Either way, it's going to the auction. The tow truck driver has said he will include his charge for jumping it off or installing the battery on his bill.

I already know that my total costs will be under $1000 and I'm betting that I'll sell it for at least $2000. If it starts and drives, I could get $4000. Hell, I could just have it towed to the scrap yard right now and break even on it. Here's your chance to prove how smart you are, or of course, you could just STFU and slink back under whatever rock you crawled out from under - but I doubt you're smart enough to do that. I'm hoping you'll be dumb enough to let your ego make you accept my bet. Of course, I doubt you'd ever pay up, but I could humiliate you here on the site and that would be worth it.

The day I seek out business advice from strangers on truck forums is the day I just pack it in. And yes, I do have to SMH a lot. The world has a lot of idiots.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:43 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Guys cut out the bickering before the thread gets closed. We all have different opinions. And they don't have to all be the same.

IHateCommieCars it's best just to ignore vettex2. He just likes to stir crap up in everybody's threads instead of posting anything helpful. Don't let him get you upset/ worked up. That's his favorite past time.

Now back to your thread. That ambulance you bought looks to be in great shape. If you got a good deal on it then it should be very easy to make a nice profit on it.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:00 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by fordman75
Guys cut out the bickering before the thread gets closed. We all have different opinions. And they don't have to all be the same.

IHateCommieCars it's best just to ignore vettex2. He just likes to stir crap up in everybody's threads instead of posting anything helpful. Don't let him get you upset/ worked up. That's his favorite past time.

Now back to your thread. That ambulance you bought looks to be in great shape. If you got a good deal on it then it should be very easy to make a nice profit on it.
Thanks, Fordman. You run into people like him online a lot, but I've never had one on here before. Really sad, this is such a great forum of good helpful people. Hopefully, you and the moderators can see that I was trying to get him to stop. Classic case of low self-esteem being overcompensated by undeserved arrogance.

Yeah, I've talked to the people at the refinery. This vehicle got used a few times a year. Never driven further than the local emergency room, most of the time it never left the refinery. They didn't know how many miles, but if it has 10,000 I'd be surprised. Exxon has it's own garage onsite where they maintain everything in perfect working order. One day, corporate just sends them a new ambulance and they parked this one. Been a couple of years ago. Then last month, someone shows up and hauls it away. That's the last they saw of it. So, it hasn't been driven in a couple of years, but it was in service and probably working just fine when it was taken out.

Only problem is it's so dang cold right now. You're in Minnesota, I guess that's worse. Not the best time to be trying to start a truck that hasn't run in awhile. Probably needs a real strong battery. I don't know - I've never been anywhere that cold.

I want to get it started before taking it to the auction so they'll list it as running. I'm tempted to head up there and look at it myself. If it did run good enough to drive back to Texas, I wouldn't mind keeping it as a camper. But the easiest thing to do is just have it hauled to Ritchie Bros.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:07 PM
163junk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool find. E350 dual, bet it's a 460 with a holley, and left hand studs on the left side wheels. I think they all had 2 batteries and a large bat sw. Do you know what brand box it is?

Old 12-16-2016, 11:12 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Well, let's see who's right. Do you wanna make a wager? I'll bet $500 that I net at least $1000 on this truck - and I never will even see it.

I'm going to either have it driven or towed from where it's at now to the Richie Bros. auction in Morris, Ill. The auction is not until March 24th, so it'll be awhile, but after I sell it, I can post the link to the auction where I bought it and the link to the RB auction results where I sold it. Plus, I'll post a copy of the tow truck charge and, if I have to buy one, the cost of a battery.

That's all I'm going to spend on it. It either starts with the battery, or a new battery, or it doesn't. Either way, it's going to the auction. The tow truck driver has said he will include his charge for jumping it off or installing the battery on his bill.

I already know that my total costs will be under $1000 and I'm betting that I'll sell it for at least $2000. If it starts and drives, I could get $4000. Hell, I could just have it towed to the scrap yard right now and break even on it. Here's your chance to prove how smart you are, or of course, you could just STFU and slink back under whatever rock you crawled out from under - but I doubt you're smart enough to do that. I'm hoping you'll be dumb enough to let your ego make you accept my bet. Of course, I doubt you'd ever pay up, but I could humiliate you here on the site and that would be worth it.

The day I seek out business advice from strangers on truck forums is the day I just pack it in. And yes, I do have to SMH a lot. The world has a lot of idiots.
Bloviated BS.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:13 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman75

As previously stated , I help those that can be helped.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:21 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Thanks, Fordman. You run into people like him online a lot, but I've never had one on here before. Really sad, this is such a great forum of good helpful people. Hopefully, you and the moderators can see that I was trying to get him to stop. Classic case of low self-esteem being overcompensated by undeserved arrogance.

Yeah, I've talked to the people at the refinery. This vehicle got used a few times a year. Never driven further than the local emergency room, most of the time it never left the refinery. They didn't know how many miles, but if it has 10,000 I'd be surprised. Exxon has it's own garage onsite where they maintain everything in perfect working order. One day, corporate just sends them a new ambulance and they parked this one. Been a couple of years ago. Then last month, someone shows up and hauls it away. That's the last they saw of it. So, it hasn't been driven in a couple of years, but it was in service and probably working just fine when it was taken out.

Only problem is it's so dang cold right now. You're in Minnesota, I guess that's worse. Not the best time to be trying to start a truck that hasn't run in awhile. Probably needs a real strong battery. I don't know - I've never been anywhere that cold.

I want to get it started before taking it to the auction so they'll list it as running. I'm tempted to head up there and look at it myself. If it did run good enough to drive back to Texas, I wouldn't mind keeping it as a camper. But the easiest thing to do is just have it hauled to Ritchie Bros.

I use to have a 79 E350 Ambulance that was similar to that one. Except mine was a weird school bus orange/yellow color with white and black stripes. Mine was no where near as nice as that one you bought. Mine had the 460 in it. That's one engine you never want to have to pull out of a van! I suppose it's about as bad as the diesels in the newer ones.

Yea, up here they are talking about -20F tomorrow night. That doesn't even include the windchill! I know how much you southern guys love the cold!! Those ambulances usually have a dual battery set up. And in the cold it would be a good idea to have two strong batteries to put in it just in case it takes a lot of cranking to get it going.

If it's sat for a couple years, you could be dealing with old gas and having to pump out all the old gas and possibly having to rebuild the carb. A lot depends on what was done, if anything before it was parked. You never know, it might fire right up and be ready to go. But that's never my luck.

That one looks so nice it kind of sucks that you might not keep it. The older Econolines are getting harder to find in that condition. But I can completely understand not wanting to deal with the stuff in the cold!! The way I see it you are in a win, win situation either way. If you keep it you have a cool old ambulance. If you sell it you make a nice profit. So either way there is no bad choice.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:43 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You know what....I also agree with Vettex's perspective.....IF that was my Van ....I would yank the IDI boat anchor and then ....slap a modified PSD ......OR a CAT 7.2 ....done to the mammaries....and look for Rear ends for parts....not withstanding a upgraded transmission and Brakes / Suspension
URL="https://www.dp-tuner.com/"]https://www.dp-tuner.com/[/URL] OR someone with equal talent...

Old 12-17-2016, 02:54 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by blageurt
You know what....I also agree with Vettex's perspective.....IF that was my Van ....I would yank the IDI boat anchor and then ....slap a modified PSD ......OR a CAT 7.2 ....done to the mammaries....and look for Rear ends for parts.....alaongf with a solid tranny Vibe...
A 81 doesn't have a diesel it would be a 460. Diesels weren't available until 83.

Quick Reply: Look what I bought today