Stock reliable 351m/400 efi questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:22 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Stock reliable 351m/400 efi questions

Hey guys and gals,

Ive been doing some reading and I havent quite found the info I am looking for.

Im looking at purchasing a 77 ford, that the guy said he swapped a 400 in it. (worst case scenario its a 351m)

Anyways Im doing some pre planning, and I was originally planning to diesel swap, or modern efi engine swap, then I came across guys putting kits like the fitech 400hp kit on their engines, and it sparked my interest.

Now, I dont really need or want a ton of power out of the engine, Im looking to make it really reliable, and have it great at cold winter starting, and fuel injected.

Anyone have any experience with a fairly stock engine with one of these types of kits? Any "must have" modifications that need to go with one of these kits for reliability purposes?

Any other reliability upgrades or modifications that I should be looking into for the engine as well, ignition, cooling, lubrication, etc?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:46 AM
COFLHTK
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Hey guys and gals,

Ive been doing some reading and I havent quite found the info I am looking for.

Im looking at purchasing a 77 ford, that the guy said he swapped a 400 in it. (worst case scenario its a 351m)

Anyways Im doing some pre planning, and I was originally planning to diesel swap, or modern efi engine swap, then I came across guys putting kits like the fitech 400hp kit on their engines, and it sparked my interest.

Now, I dont really need or want a ton of power out of the engine, Im looking to make it really reliable, and have it great at cold winter starting, and fuel injected.

Anyone have any experience with a fairly stock engine with one of these types of kits? Any "must have" modifications that need to go with one of these kits for reliability purposes?

Any other reliability upgrades or modifications that I should be looking into for the engine as well, ignition, cooling, lubrication, etc?
I have a 78 F250 with 400. I put the FiTech 600HP kit on mine. I did a lot of other mods as well, all help with reliability. My truck runs very well, gets 15mpg, and starts right up every time. Below is a list of mods:

MSD distributor, controlled by FiTech
New wiring harness
170amp alternator
in tank electric fuel pump - quieter and lasts longer

Other mods that are just nice for a little extra power

Headers
Dual Exhaust

Old 12-14-2016, 01:01 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I was figuring on headers and dual exhaust as well, and had originally planned on a good 4 barrel intake and carb, and nothing other than that.

Mind if I ask, where abouts in the world are you from?

The truck Im looking at would be used as a farm/bush truck, getting firewood, stuff like that. As well as I would like to eventually put a light blade on it, and use it lots in the winter. We get COLD weather here in the winter, and cold starting is something that has been on my mind.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:05 AM
COFLHTK
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Thanks for the reply! I was figuring on headers and dual exhaust as well, and had originally planned on a good 4 barrel intake and carb, and nothing other than that.

Mind if I ask, where abouts in the world are you from?

The truck Im looking at would be used as a farm/bush truck, getting firewood, stuff like that. As well as I would like to eventually put a light blade on it, and use it lots in the winter. We get COLD weather here in the winter, and cold starting is something that has been on my mind.
I live in Colorado. I use my truck as a home depot, hunting, weekend warrior truck. It gets plenty cold here. Supposed to be negative temperature on Saturday.