6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

16 F350 Reduced Engine Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 04:23 PM
2TrakR
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 F350 Reduced Engine Power

2016 F350 6.7; ccsrw, 22K on truck (zero issues previously). Stock other than titan fuel tank that was installed at 100 miles.

700 miles into todays trip, pulling trailer, snowing, in 4x4, tow/haul; pulled out to pass, got into it for a bit and got "reduced engine power" error, truck slowed, would not show boost on gauge, wouldn't rev over ~1900.
CEL is on.
Pulled over, stopped, checked under/over and didn't find anything. Shut off truck, started back up, CEL is still on, but truck runs OK. Ran for another 20 miles or so and was OK for how I drove it (including boost showing on gauge). Not hot rodding, crappy road conditions (snow). Got on a big hill from dead start and got into it a bit, about 3K same error came on and she went back into limp mode. Same deal, stopped, shut off, back on, was able to keep going. Was only couple miles from motel at that point, so she is on break right now.

Of course I'm 400 miles from home and nowhere near a dealer. I have a code scanner, but nothing with me to pair it with (daughter has tablet with her, ha ha).

Should I keep going or find a dealer/tow/other? Looking for suggestions. If she will keep running "normally" below 3K, then I can make it home as I don't need to horse it that bad on the roads I'll be on.

Truck has had fuel filters replaced on schedule, dealer has done all service work (oil, etc). Fuel filters were done 7500 miles ago.

This trip, was on third tank of fuel. Had just put in 30 gallons at last (big) truck stop about 15 miles before this issue happened, have 50 miles on this tank. That was 30 gallons into 50 gallon tank.

I did not get any other error/notifications.

I mention the fuel stuff as reading on the forum, that seems to be a popular issue.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:30 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
HOW COLD IS IT FUEL GELLING WILL DO THAT

Old 12-11-2016, 04:33 PM
2TrakR
Freshman User
It's in the teens. I would be very surprised if it was cold/fuel gel issue, I'm in an area that started winter a good month ago.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:10 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You say it was snowing? Did you check the air filter to see if it might be plugged with snow. Juast a shot in the dark but wouldn't be the first time.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Check the air filter. Sometimes snow gets in a blocks airflow causing your condition too. Yes, by 2016 there is a new design that is supposed to prevent it - but it's something I would check. Also, the stock paper air filter gets wet it restricts air flow.

I've had fuel reach CFPP in the teens... Possible that you filled up in an area that didn't get as good a winter blend... I've put some Power Service in the white bottle and had it get me going again. Also, wouldn't hurt to check the fuel filters if you could as well...

Old 12-11-2016, 05:40 PM
2TrakR
Freshman User
Just checked air filter, clean as a whistle (and dry). It's been sitting for a couple hours in 21F snowy parking lot. Fired right up (CEL still on) and made a couple mile trip down the road with no issue - but I didn't run it to 3K on the tach either.

Getting to the fuel filters means crawling under the truck in a foot of sloppy slush, right? Think I will leave them be for now.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
You can download the OBD System operations here

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/fo...DOBDSM1601.pdf

It will give you an idea what the CEL is about.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
drain that separator.

Doubt it that any fuel is gelling since he was already underway. Return fuel is keeping that under check.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:57 AM
2TrakR
Freshman User
Just an update:
After sitting overnight, fired up and CEL was off. I'm not sure if I went through the needed number of ignition cycles to clear it or if sitting longer did it.
I put in some diesel treatment and ran it for the remainder of the trip with no issues (made sure to keep RPM under 3K to avoid triggering it again). Ran that tank down to less than 10 gallons and filled it up + more treatment. Have a couple hundred miles on that second tank, towing still, and going OK.
I didn't get a chance to see what the code was yet, hopefully tonight will be able to pull it.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:29 AM
radium
Elder User
No that's your fuel trust me upstate NY worst winter fuel in the world lol happens all the time even at 20 F that's why i told you try PS or 911. It always works carry some 911 red bottle only in emergency like what happend middle of nowhere been their scarry as hell. Next time treat with white bottle you will never get stranded agin. take care

Attached Images   
Old 12-14-2016, 02:03 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Is there any harm in putting Diesel 911 or other PowerService product through a 6.7L Ford? I thought the alcohol content in the D911 could wreck your HPFP?

Old 12-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Personally, I won't use any PowerService products in the 6.7L. From the email I received from PS a year or so ago, the Diesel Kleen tries to mix the water in with the diesel so it can pass through the filters and be burned in the engine.

Definitely, I would not use any alcohol products in the 6.7L.

Make your own determination from the attached email, but I say, use PS products in the 6.7L at your own risk. This email convinced me to use only Ford's PM-22 (made by Sta-Bil) or Stanadynes additives.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 PM
radium
Elder User
Not this one again guys power Services completely safe for any modern diesel engine I've used it in my Ram 6.7 Chevy Duramax and my old 6.0 with hundreds of thousands of miles never an issue. As a matter fact New Holland recommends it for they're tier 4 common rail tractor which we own on the farm doseed it getting down to -5 tonight. Last February on a ride to a job 12 degrees the truck went into a low power situation and was making a terrible whining sound fuel was gelling call my dealer told me to locate some 911 and put it in do not shut the truck off, it's an emergency use only I agree don't do it on a regular basis that's why you use the white bottle every time I fill up as a matter fact tonight just add a little extra for security reasons driving up Massena New York going to be -15 standing ambient temperature not wind chill. I simply carry 9-1-1 with me and case it ever happens again don't want to get stuck 140 miles from Hellp over some gel fuel. One other quick fact all ultra low sulfur fuel has water in it the John Deere dealer told us there's nothing can be done it will Rust your fuel system regardless of your precautionary actions you take short of a clotting filter would be the only thing possible guaranteed water not passing by it's inexpensive throwaway system now be glad you get a few thousand hours and dump the tractor right out of the dealers mouth. The fuel filter on the bottom of our trucks is not stopping water emulsified already in the fuel don't want to start another argument but, on another website for mechanics only talking to Ford engineers and I quote replace injection system and pass the bill on to the customer you can thank the EPA nothing else can be done. It was a lengthy discussion where the mechanic told the Ford engineer the truck was impeccably taken care of filter change at 10000 mile intervals rust should have never gotten up there in only 60,000 miles. I was actually yelled at by some of the moderator not to mention the website and that my friend who gave me access to it who is a mechanic could get fired or some serious trouble for sharing information just passing it along believe what you want look into it a little further and you'll find out it's true it's one of the best-kept secrets in the Diesel Industry they're all self destructive with the fuel today that's why I never keep my diesel truck out of warranty never over a hundred thousand miles someone else's headache take care

Old 12-14-2016, 09:10 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Radium...you are preaching to the choir....you are welcome to use what you desire. Others, including myself, disagree with you. You are only going to convince yourself you are correct. I will still avoid all PS products since they try to pass the water through the filters and let the engine burn it. Their email is enough proof for me verses that once time chance of a fuel system not being covered under warranty.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Here is what I get at the fuel station.

Quick Reply: 16 F350 Reduced Engine Power