2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Second guessing F-150 plan. Now leaning toward SD.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:37 PM
DIRTWHEELS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second guessing F-150 plan. Now leaning toward SD.

Never thought buying a truck would have so many options, packages...
Anyway here's my story (Post to 150 forum)

"Hi All. Never owned a . Always Had Yota SUVs but feel the need for a Pick Up. Like the features of the '17 150 and ready to place order but looking for feedback from current owners. Will be using for trailering ATV's and maybe a midsize travel trailer in future.

Here's what I've built: Lariat, S-CREW, 5.0L, 6.50ft bed, 4X4, 501A, 3.73 E-locker, Trailer Tow w/ E-Brake, Trailer Mirrors, Tailgate Step. No Moonroof, No NAV.

Plan on after purchase: Line-X, A.R.E Cap, NFAB Step Bars."

Was pretty sure I was going w/ this build, then saw a F-150 w/ cap, on the road, and did not like stance. Not TRUCK looking enough. So I thought I would get 4" lift and bigger tires to get the "more aggressive" look I am after. However, ride and mpg's would suffer (14 mpg overall??).

Then a second thought (Revelation). Why not move up to F-250. Has the "stance" from factory so would not need lift (no concern on wearing parts). SD already has the mirrors, bed length as standard. Price is pretty much the same. Would go w/ 6.2L. But as this is going to be my daily transport, I am worried stiffer ride will get tiresome after a while (especially for wife). Maybe the 280lbs added w/ cap will help a bit?

The F-250 is certainly more truck than what I need, but I am a person that would rather have more and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Looking for feedback on F-250 fuel economy (6.2L) and ride (any comment on Camper/Plow package affecting ride).

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:07 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am averaging around 13-13.5 mpgs with my 6.2l and 3.73 gears. If you plan on getting a TT then I would go with the f250. You will hit a f150 payload quick. I was looking at TT and was over payload/gawr with anything bigger than a 20ft TT on my 1/2 ton.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Dalingrin
Junior User
Originally Posted by DIRTWHEELS
Never thought buying a truck would have so many options, packages...
Anyway here's my story (Post to 150 forum)

"Hi All. Never owned a . Always Had Yota SUVs but feel the need for a Pick Up. Like the features of the '17 150 and ready to place order but looking for feedback from current owners. Will be using for trailering ATV's and maybe a midsize travel trailer in future.

Here's what I've built: Lariat, S-CREW, 5.0L, 6.50ft bed, 4X4, 501A, 3.73 E-locker, Trailer Tow w/ E-Brake, Trailer Mirrors, Tailgate Step. No Moonroof, No NAV.

Plan on after purchase: Line-X, A.R.E Cap, NFAB Step Bars."

Was pretty sure I was going w/ this build, then saw a F-150 w/ cap, on the road, and did not like stance. Not TRUCK looking enough. So I thought I would get 4" lift and bigger tires to get the "more aggressive" look I am after. However, ride and mpg's would suffer (14 mpg overall??).

Then a second thought (Revelation). Why not move up to F-250. Has the "stance" from factory so would not need lift (no concern on wearing parts). SD already has the mirrors, bed length as standard. Price is pretty much the same. Would go w/ 6.2L. But as this is going to be my daily transport, I am worried stiffer ride will get tiresome after a while (especially for wife). Maybe the 280lbs added w/ cap will help a bit?

The F-250 is certainly more truck than what I need, but I am a person that would rather have more and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Looking for feedback on F-250 fuel economy (6.2L) and ride (any comment on Camper/Plow package affecting ride).

Thanks.

I can't give you any feedback on the F-250 but I do have a 2016 F-150. My plan with the F-150 was to tow a 29' travel trailer(that's total length hitch to bumper). I've spent the last year or so towing the TT through the hills in the area around me and have been very happy with the truck. The 3.5L Ecoboost can pull without issues even going up fairly steep grades. It can do this without tons of shifting, making it somewhat diesel like.

However, I took a trip at the end of the summer that finally took me out of the hills with the TT and now I plan on getting a Super Duty. Cross winds, passing semi trucks,etc made the trip feel pretty unsafe even going fairly slow.

I've adjusted the weight distributing hitch until I'm blue in the face and I've added a rear stabilizer bar. Nothing I've done has had an effect on the feeling that the TT is steering the truck in adverse conditions.

If you plan on sticking with the 1/2 ton, I definitely recommend the 3.5L Ecoboost over the 5.0 V8. I've had some experience with the GMC 5.3L V8, Ford 5.0L V8, and the 3.5L Ecoboost...the V8s really don't come close to the torque and acceleration of the Ecoboost.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:21 PM
DIRTWHEELS
New User
From what I've researched I think I would go w/ 4.30 rear. ARE states cap will provide a bump in fuel economy. Hoping I can get 14 mpg overall w/ egg under the skinny pedal.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:52 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as towing trailers imho, there is no such thing as too much truck. I other words Future proof your self. For about $1200 more you can go f350 in case you ever wanted to go up to a 5er.
Edit: I have done the 5er to Motorhome route, we downsized to an ultra light TT becuse it was easier for my wife to get into and out of and it could be towed by an F150, upgraded to F250 because we had to put a handicap scooter lift in the bed and it along with the scooter and trailer overloaded the F150. We had a 5.4 2009 F150 and when towing the trailer it sounded like it was always straining, Friend has an ecoboost, It can out pull the 5.4 easily.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:00 PM
DIRTWHEELS
New User
Probably will never go 5th wheel, but understand need to future proof. Biggest concern is ride quality as this is my everyday horse.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:13 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
I wasn't happy with how my F150 ecoboost towed two RZR's on a 24' aluminum trailer in Colorado, much less with how it towed my 10k fiver.
In the past the F250 and F350 had the same springs, now the F350 has one extra spring. It is an overload spring so I don't expect you to see any ride difference between the two.
With 10 ply tires and a solid front axle a SD will never ride as good as a F150 but you can't have both. If you get the F150 it will ride like a Cadillac but not be optimal for towing. The new aluminum F150's are so light they don't tow as good as the old ones. If you get a SD it will ride rougher (on rough roads, as on a smooth highway they ride great) and will be be a heck of a lot better towing machine. Definitely get the 4.30 gears if you get the gasser.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Dalingrin
Junior User
Originally Posted by DIRTWHEELS
Probably will never go 5th wheel, but understand need to future proof. Biggest concern is ride quality as this is my everyday horse.
Everyone is different but, when I bought my F-150 I also never planned to have a 5th wheel.

After my above mentioned experiences..I'm getting a 5th wheel.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:34 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The price of the F150's has gotten WAY out of hand imo. When I looked at what it was going to cost to replace my totaled 2013 F150 with a 2015 optioned the same I said forget that. I was able to get a Ram 1500 that had almost all the same features for $20k less. Then there's the gutless 5.0 Ford V8.

I liked my F150 but not at those 2015 prices. Option out a F150 today they are damn near as expensive as the SD.

I will tell you this, the Powerstroke puts a beating on both the 5.0 and Ecoboost and still gets decent gas mileage.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Glocksub
Mountain Pass
If you see the potential already to be less than satisfied with a 150, don't even question the move to the 250 6.2 with the 4.30. The 150 and 250 optioned the same are so close in price that for me, the half ton doesn't make sense when I much prefer the stance and ride of the larger truck.

I can can tell you from personal experience with the GM 5.3 V8 (the f150's 5.0 main competitor) that it is a disappointment for just about anything other than empty interstate cruising at speed limit or better. I hooked 2500lbs of utility trailer and Polaris ranger to it and it sounded and shifted as though it was on its last leg when you encountered hills. It also had a tremendous amount of interior rattles.

Ive never owned a f150 with the 5.0, the last one I had was in 2004 with the 5.4, so I have no real info there. I've not ever even test driven an ecoboost, have never had an interest. In my opinion and experience, the current lineup of half tons by the big three, while offering a smoother ride on rough roads than the 250/350, are designed and geared (tranny) towards people who do very little if any towing and do not care for the capabilities and characteristics of the larger trucks that many of us enjoy.

Towing with a gas powered 250/2500 is night and day different than the half tons, period. More stability and a tranny that is designed and geared for that sort of work. No half ton truck I've ever had over the last 20yrs could compete in terms of stability and towing with either of my former gas three quarter tons-GM 2500 6.0 or Ram 2500 6.4. The ride of any 250/2500 is not the best with the small factory tires aired up to max psi, but a size or two taller tire and/or less air pressure remedies much of that.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Dalingrin
Junior User
Originally Posted by Glocksub
If you see the potential already to be less than satisfied with a 150, don't even question the move to the 250 6.2 with the 4.30. The 150 and 250 optioned the same are so close in price that for me, the half ton doesn't make sense when I much prefer the stance and ride of the larger truck.

I can can tell you from personal experience with the GM 5.3 V8 (the f150's 5.0 main competitor) that it is a disappointment for just about anything other than empty interstate cruising at speed limit or better. I hooked 2500lbs of utility trailer and Polaris ranger to it and it sounded and shifted as though it was on its last leg when you encountered hills. It also had a tremendous amount of interior rattles.

Ive never owned a f150 with the 5.0, the last one I had was in 2004 with the 5.4, so I have no real info there. I've not ever even test driven an ecoboost, have never had an interest. In my opinion and experience, the current lineup of half tons by the big three, while offering a smoother ride on rough roads than the 250/350, are designed and geared (tranny) towards people who do very little if any towing and do not care for the capabilities and characteristics of the larger trucks that many of us enjoy.

Towing with a gas powered 250/2500 is night and day different than the half tons, period. More stability and a tranny that is designed and geared for that sort of work. No half ton truck I've ever had over the last 20yrs could compete in terms of stability and towing with either of my former gas three quarter tons-GM 2500 6.0 or Ram 2500 6.4. The ride of any 250/2500 is not the best with the small factory tires aired up to max psi, but a size or two taller tire and/or less air pressure remedies much of that.
I agree with everything you said except that I think you'd be surprised at how well the 3.5L Ecoboost and transmission does while towing. However, stability wise, I couldn't agree more which renders the nice 3.5L Ecoboost and transmission moot.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Bassboatman
Junior User
I've owned several half tons, GM's, Toyota, etc They make great daily drivers but are not in the same league for towing. Even with a little 3,000 pound 21 foot bassboat, the 3/4 ton manhandles, tows, stops, and controls the trailer 1,000 times better. However, what does get old is the daily driver aspect of the 3/4 ton truck can get real old quick. My 2017 F-250 Platinum is my first Ford and it "manhandles stuff much better than my GM's ever did. However I was driving the 3/4 GM Duramax's for daily drivers for the last 10 years. If I didn't tow the boat a couple times a week minimum and own a a 5th Wheel camper....There is no way in heck I would drive a 3/4 truck....You could haul all the tools, gear, kids, etc in a 1/2 ton and be more than happy if you don't tow all the time.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
The toughest thing IMO is giving up 5+mpgs going to the SD. If you are ok eeking out 15-16 on a flat hwy trip, and averaging 12+ on every tank for "normal" driving, then it's an easy choice. I drove the EB F150 for a short time, loved the power and mpg, but just missed my SD's. Gas being pretty cheap right now makes the decision a little easier too.
I average 12.8 on my mostly town hand calc'd tank fill-ups. I did make an hour hwy run a couple days ago for the first time, 60 mph netted over 16. As soon as I got back to town, she just dropped down to my norm, high 12's.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Glocksub
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Dalingrin
I agree with everything you said except that I think you'd be surprised at how well the 3.5L Ecoboost and transmission does while towing. However, stability wise, I couldn't agree more which renders the nice 3.5L Ecoboost and transmission moot.
I've actually heard positive things about the 3.5L in terms of power and acceleration, and fuel economy.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:38 PM
11th FORD
Freshman User
I have had 3 f150's and a Raptor ...all good trucks with the Raptor being great .....when I sold the Raptor and went with the f250 was nervous when I pulled the trigger but after having it I know the right call was made this 2017 f250 is awesome !!!!!!

good luck

Quick Reply: Second guessing F-150 plan. Now leaning toward SD.