2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Dealer inventory vs building

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:21 AM
lexasgs400
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer inventory vs building

I am ready to to get a truck before the end of the year. is it easier to negotiate a better deal with a truck they have an inventory or having one built?

Old 12-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Florit17
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lexasgs400
I am ready to to get a truck before the end of the year. is it easier to negotiate a better deal with a truck they have an inventory or having one built?
The ONLY way to receive a truck by the end of the year at this point is to take one from dealer inventory, too late to order one & make that deadline.

As for price, I don't think it will matter either way. There are plenty of dealers willing to sell at invoice less incentives with no negotiation needed. If that's not a good enough deal for you then join EAA for $40 and get an X-plan pin (basically invoice price - give or take) and a $750 off coupon to use in conjunction with the $1,000 rebate.
Good luck!

Old 12-10-2016, 10:56 AM
lexasgs400
Senior User
Delivery

thanks for the info, I understand I would not get a bill track before the end of the year and I'm OK with that. Just want the best deal

Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 AM
RJDPHOTO
New User
Order best bet for most dealers

When you order a truck in stead of buying one off the lot the dealer does not have to pay his bank any holding (interest etc.) to his bank. If a truck is on the lot for a while it costs them money. That is why they push you to buy off the lot. Also the contract is not signed until the day you drive it home. So they know that you can back out at any time during the order process and leave them with a truck that might not be something that will be easy to sell.
Also your financial situation could change and cause you to back out as well.

I ordered a F250 4x4 XL at an agreed upon price in August and only put down $500. I could hardly wait for it, being like a little kid at Christmas. When it came in and I went to pick it up they told me that a customer was willing to pay $2800 more than me and that I could make an offer. I have a bad temper and nearly punched the salesman, and I am 65. I called Ford and they said I had no recourse. I called other dealers and they said that some unethical Dealerships do that sometimes.

So I went to a dealer in Monterey, got it in writing signed by the Sales manager.
GET IT IN WRITNG, EVERYTHING Tax, license, Doc fees, etc. Make sure the quote clearly states OUT THE DOOR. Some dealers say they can't give an accurate quote without the VIN# and blah blah blah. BS they know exactly what they can sell it for, they just don't want to commit so they can grind you down and confuse you when the vehicle comes in.

I had to wait another couple of months but I got my truck Out the Door for less than the MSRP. Thats with over $4200 of taxes and such.

Post Script: The guy's deal who out bid me (stole) for the first truck fell thru when his financing fell thru. They called me a week later and asked me if I still wanted the truck at my original deal, but it had over 700 miles on it.
That was a used truck, I was dumbfounded they had the guts to do that.

It felt so good to simply say no thanks I just bought one you low life.
I ended up with a great deal and a great truck, you just have to be patient and stick to your guns. They really like to confuse people.

I also suggest not talking with a salesman, do your research and go to the desk
and tell them what you want what you will pay and you want it in writing with the sales managers signature. If they won't do that get on the phone and go elsewhere.

Remember the key fact- OUT THE DOOR at the MSRP or a little lower. That gives them @2% profit without taking up anyones time.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:37 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't think purchasing at or anywhere near MSRP is necessary. There are tons of dealers who will sell at invoice which, depending on options, is $4,000 - $5,000 ish off MSRP. Dealer invoice is a good point to know you're doing ok on the price. Some dealers are selling below invoice but then adding fees back in other ways. Invoice is the benchmark, not MSRP.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Siriustoo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer hold backs etc are a little different in Canada but in most cases the dealer will do better on a factory order for trucks in high demand. One dealer I talked to would do invoice +2% on a factory order, and dealer invoice +4% if it was on the lot. I had a similar experience with my F-150 4 years ago. A different dealer was willing to do better on a factory order.
The tax savings of buying before December 31 may easily offset the small difference.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:34 PM
RJDPHOTO
New User
Are you saying that paying $4200 Out the Door for a truck with MSRP of $42800 which is over $4500 less than MSRP before Taxes, doc fees etc. is a bad deal?

Old 12-10-2016, 12:48 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Dealer invoice minus rebates plus reasonable fees and taxes = good deal. Decision to buy extra services, insurance, maintenance contracts, warrantees, etc is a personal value statement. Nowhere in that math is MSRP.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Rheingar
Senior User
Originally Posted by Florit17
The ONLY way to receive a truck by the end of the year at this point is to take one from dealer inventory, too late to order one & make that deadline.

As for price, I don't think it will matter either way. There are plenty of dealers willing to sell at invoice less incentives with no negotiation needed. If that's not a good enough deal for you then join EAA for $40 and get an X-plan pin (basically invoice price - give or take) and a $750 off coupon to use in conjunction with the $1,000 rebate.
Good luck!
From my research you can get a X-Plan pin as soon as you join the EAA, but to use it your must be a member for at least 60 days. Did I miss something?

I would love to have the X-Plan as backup in case Costco has not set prices for the 2017 Ford SDs by the time our truck is delivered (ETA 12/22).

Old 12-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Tx Hunter
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Read the fine print on the EAA--it doesn't actually say that you have to be a member for 60 days. It says you have to have a minimum 60 day membership. The membership that I bought the day before I purchased my truck was a one-year membership. I think that clearly meets the requirement! Worked fine for me.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:45 PM
grampscamper
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Siriustoo
Dealer hold backs etc are a little different in Canada but in most cases the dealer will do better on a factory order for trucks in high demand. One dealer I talked to would do invoice +2% on a factory order, and dealer invoice +4% if it was on the lot. I had a similar experience with my F-150 4 years ago. A different dealer was willing to do better on a factory order.
The tax savings of buying before December 31 may easily offset the small difference.
I paid approximately 2% over invoice. The dealer seemed happier to order me one anyway. If I'm spending this kind of money I want to spec out the truck exactly the way I want.
One advantage to taking one out of inventory is they may be able to find an immediate buyer for your trade and pay you a little more.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:04 AM
WolfFox
Senior User
I purchased a truck off the lot and got a better price than the X plan. I paid 7k under MSRP and ordered a couple of items at deal cost, which they mail to. I did my deal over the phone on Monday evening picked up the truck Tuesday moring 3.2% for 84 months.I am happy with that...I the exact truck I was going to order and didn't have to wait.