2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Looking at ex rental 2015 EL

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:24 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at ex rental 2015 EL

There is a flood of ex rental 2015's in the area, and we are looking to buy one in the next few days. Most are CPO, but there are a couple that are not, and the dealer is telling me once they list it for sale they can't certify it. Does that sound right? Why couldn't they just do the CPO inspection after the fact and adjust the price accordingly?

I've also noticed on a couple of these rental vehicles the dust boot on the console shifter is destroyed, looks like it froze up and people kept moving the shifter until the boot disintegrated. Is this a common issue? Even on the very clean truck you can see some have some minor cracking on the dust boot, so I assume they will end up looking the same way after a few thousand miles.

Any other things I should look for in these trucks being the first year the 3.5EB was available?

Old 12-08-2016, 08:31 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This January I bought a 15' EL 4x4 that was a rental with 28K miles. I now have 50k on it and it has been great. Shift boot is fine. Only problem was a new throttle body replaced under warranty. I bought an extended warranty that will take me out to 150k miles or 2021.

I always told myself I would never buy a rental but this is my 3rd with no regrets. A 1 year old vehicle for $20k less than new, I'm getting a warranty anyways, not much to lose in that deal as I see it.

Oh and this ecoboost is phenomenal. I'm getting 5mpg better than a couple people I know with the 5.4 and the power is great.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:51 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Good to know! Most of these rental trucks are amazingly clean, and they all have the King Ranch package with heavy duty tow package. Obviously Ford changed what comes with the KR though, because they don't have the level of options the previous gen Super Duty KRs had. Maybe because they added the Platinum? Dunno. But it's obvious by looking at the receiver that none of these trucks have ever even had a hitch in them.

The first dealer that had a truck with the destroyed shift boot said it was damage from someone leaving a dog in the truck or something and therefore it wouldn't be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, but after that I saw two more with the same issue at different dealers so unless there is one dude renting these things to use as a dog house this is obviously a manufacturer defect.

Was the one you bought CPO and you bought an additional warranty, or did you buy the extended warranty because it wasn't CPO?

Old 12-12-2016, 03:49 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It was still under the factory 3 year 36K warranty and I don't care about CPO. Some lot tech at a dealer running through a checklist on a vehicle means nothing to me.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:16 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
The 172 point inspection is okay, but it's the 100k mile powertrain warranty that comes with CPO I wanted. Technically, CPO means the dealer is supposed to make the car as close to new as possible. Some dealers do so, some do not. All CPOs are not created equal. For example, if tire tread is below 50% the dealer is supposed to put new tires on, only one of the six I looked at did so.

Since mine is CPO the dealer wrote a "We Owe" document listing everything I found that should be covered under either the factory or CPO warranty. Mine is going back to the dealer next week to get a full buff job, shifter trim replacement, small leather repair, and replace a missing trim clip on the rear bumper. Won't cost me more than my time.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:28 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I think most rental companies place a locked plug in the receiver hitch so you can't tow. Getting a low mileage rental with a 150K mile warranty is smart money.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:58 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
I think i got a great deal, and the dealer I'm working with is awesome. I've found a couple other small issues I didn't like and emailed my sales rep, he added them to the We Owe document no questions. It will all be fixed tomorrow free of charge.

I didn't buy the extended warranty, just the CPO 100k mile, but considering the truck only has 35k on it now that is more than enough.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:30 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
I am all about the CPO warranty.

We saved almost 20k over new and it was 1 yr old with 20k miles.

A buck a mile depreciation was a good price for me.

We got 39k out of the factory hankooks.

My only complaint is the 4wd system is horrendous in function/transition from 2wd to 4wd.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:15 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
really? We just went through a 14"+ storm and I was impressed with the 4wd, both in 4hi and 4auto which I was skeptical about. Shifted smooth, couldn't even hear ir sitting at idle, and worked fine at speed. The only delay was shifting into 4lo, which I only did to make sure it worked. That took long enough to require a prompt on the cluster that said "please wait, shifting in progress.". Otherwise the thing has been in 4A or 4Hi pretty much since we took possession as the storm just started and we had a 1.5 hour drive home in it.

Not sure what condition the original hankooks were, but they must have been below 50% tread because the dealer replaced them with Goodyear during the CPO process.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:11 PM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akorcovelos
really? We just went through a 14"+ storm and I was impressed with the 4wd, both in 4hi and 4auto which I was skeptical about. Shifted smooth, couldn't even hear ir sitting at idle, and worked fine at speed. The only delay was shifting into 4lo, which I only did to make sure it worked. That took long enough to require a prompt on the cluster that said "please wait, shifting in progress.". Otherwise the thing has been in 4A or 4Hi pretty much since we took possession as the storm just started and we had a 1.5 hour drive home in it.

Not sure what condition the original hankooks were, but they must have been below 50% tread because the dealer replaced them with Goodyear during the CPO process.
Be sure and watch the dashboard for those prompts when shifting the transfer case. It may ask you to move forward a little to complete the shift. I think that only happens when going to/from 4L.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
So far it's only said it has to be in Neutral on the display, and then the 'shifting in progress' note.