6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Is it normal to take awhile to warm up ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Steven Stocki
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it normal to take awhile to warm up ?

Just trying to see if this is normal or not.

It takes about 10 minutes for the truck to drive normal. If I start the truck and sit for 5 minutes, then start driving... the truck has a very hard time changing gears and accelerating.

Just trying to see if this is normal or not ?

Thanks

Old 12-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Oblrjr
Freshman User
It shouldn't take that long. I'd at least check:
FICM Voltage
Batteries
What Type of oil are you using?
Try RevX or Archoil
What is your EOT? ie how cold is it?
Do you ever plug up your block?
ICP voltage good?

Bottom line is there are a ton of reasons that it could be happening... maybe you can shed some light on anything going on inside the engine, surroundings, etc.

I had some issues previously and did all of the above.Drastically better now.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:47 PM
DPorter
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no not, sticky injectors likely

Old 12-06-2016, 07:59 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Stocki

It takes about 10 minutes for the truck to drive normal. If I start the truck and sit for 5 minutes, then start driving... the truck has a very hard time changing gears and accelerating.

Thanks
FICM Voltage
Batteries
Try RevX or Archoil
ICP voltage good?

Bottom line is there are a ton of reasons that it could be happening... maybe you can shed some light on anything going on inside the engine, surroundings, etc.

What the second poster said, let's not just assume it's a sticky injector. Good chance there is but it's a 6.0, we don't need to throw mountains of cash at something that might be as simple as an oil change.

Give us more pertinent info

Old 12-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Steven Stocki
Junior User
Originally Posted by Oblrjr
FICM Voltage
Batteries
Try RevX or Archoil
ICP voltage good?

i appreciate the responses !

1. Batteries are good (had them checked couple months ago).
2. What oil should I be using ? I had a local shop change it 15k miles ago.
3. Temp is around 30'F
4. I have a block heater plug but don't plug it in unless it gets below 10'F at night .
5. EOT measured by coolant temp ? Truck does take awhile to reach operating temp (15-20minutes).

the other questions I don't know the answer to .

should I try using Sea foam ? Seems like a low cost option to ensure the injectors aren't sticky .

Old 12-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm currently 30'F. This weekend I placed cardboard in front of the radiator as my motor was not coming up above 150'F under any conditions.

Now with the cardboard and my block heater plugged in, the motor is up to 190'F within 5~6 miles after idling for ten minutes.

With just the cardboard, block heater not plugged in, the motor comes up to 190'F after about 18~20 miles of driving after idling for ten minutes.

If you are looking at the dash temperature gage(coolant), the needle being above the temp icon (not covering the temp icon) is about 195'F on my truck.

Your experience will vary.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:37 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
You need to use 5W-40 diesel oil, with a CJ-4 (well, now CK-4) rating. Delo 400 LE, Rotella T6, Mobil 1 TDT are popular and on the shelf at Wal Mart.

The oil change interval is also 5,000 miles, so you're 3x overdue for an oil change.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:08 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
You need to use 5W-40 diesel oil, with a CJ-4 (well, now CK-4) rating. Delo 400 LE, Rotella T6, Mobil 1 TDT are popular and on the shelf at Wal Mart.

The oil change interval is also 5,000 miles, so you're 3x overdue for an oil change.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If I was a betting man, switching to 5W40 synthetic along with OCI at 5k miles you will notice things will get better, maybe try some Archoil mentioned above.

Seafoam is not something that belongs in a 6.0, and won't do anything for stiction, as that problem is on the oil side of things, not fuel.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't forget to use only Motorcraft filters and cap

Old 12-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Oblrjr
Freshman User
i appreciate the responses !

1. Batteries are good (had them checked couple months ago).
3. Temp is around 30'F
4. I have a block heater plug but don't plug it in unless it gets below 10'F at night .
5. EOT measured by coolant temp ? Truck does take awhile to reach operating temp (15-20minutes).

the other questions I don't know the answer to .

should I try using Sea foam ? Seems like a low cost option to ensure the injectors aren't sticky .
Use 5w40, oil change today! Also get RevX, 2 bottles, Archoil the following oil chamges, fuel and oil filters! Don't use Sea Foam. Today! Good luck and report back!

Old 12-07-2016, 06:53 PM
tomsoftail
Cross-Country
Wow!

Idle for 10 minutes after plugging in overnight. These forums will make you nuts sometimes...

It had been consistently 29F when I leave after 6am everyday after being unplugged since last year, I start it up then let it idle for 60 to 90 seconds then off I go. The truck doesn't seem to mind, buck or idle funny. Of course I don't mash the throttle but I just drive, drive normally.

Am I being too fast and loose with this? I hope everyone else is just overly cautious.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:14 PM
Oblrjr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tomsoftail
Wow!

Idle for 10 minutes after plugging in overnight. These forums will make you nuts sometimes...

It had been consistently 29F when I leave after 6am everyday after being unplugged since last year, I start it up then let it idle for 60 to 90 seconds then off I go. The truck doesn't seem to mind, buck or idle funny. Of course I don't mash the throttle but I just drive, drive normally.

Am I being too fast and loose with this? I hope everyone else is just overly cautious.

I'm probably overly cautious. I want to just make it as easy as possible when it comes to starts plus I get the truck warm for my young son. I'm big into preventative maintenance also.

These truck will run forever if you just take care of them. I could drive any truck but I love this one! I am planning on my 18 month old to drive it one day!

-OB

Old 12-07-2016, 07:20 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
As has been said here, what you describe is not normal. Definitely get the oil and filters changed out ASAP. To rule the FICM in or out, just test it. Directions can be found at 17. Can I test my FICM to ensure that it is the culprit?.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-07-2016, 07:36 PM
Oblrjr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
As has been said here, what you describe is not normal. Definitely get the oil and filters changed out ASAP. To rule the FICM in or out, just test it. Directions can be found at 17. Can I test my FICM to ensure that it is the culprit?.

Hope this helps!

Ed... It's Richard from Arkansas. Just got my new FICM, relay and Blue Springs put in... night and day in the mornings! Torque App did its job in helping diagnose! My core will be in the mail tomorrow! Thanks again for your help! A+++

Old 12-07-2016, 08:14 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread drives me crazy.
I'm not sure what is happening lately, but there seems to be a lot of new or newer posters who don't know or haven't read some of the basic fundamental "need to know" threads found in the tech folder. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ch-folder.html
I need to copy and paste a list of things ALL 6.0 owners should have and do.
1. A monitoring device: ScanGaugeII, Torque Pro app, Edge Insight CTS2, pillar mounted gauges.
2. Use ONLY Motorcraft filters.
3. Change oil and filter at 5000 mile intervals.
4. Read the Tech Folder!!

Quick Reply: Is it normal to take awhile to warm up ?