2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Unpleasant Surprise...Chipped Bumper...Thoughts on corrective action before purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:42 PM
ghernandez612
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unpleasant Surprise...Chipped Bumper...Thoughts on corrective action before purchase?

So, I received word that my truck was shipped out last week. I happend to be near my dealer tonight and thought it would be a smart idea to run by dealer to see if they had received any shipments. Upon driving by there it was. My special ordered ruby red platinum. What a great surprise right? Well unfortunately, upon inspecting it I found one minor and ome major defect (in my opinion). The drivers side of the front bumper has a significant chip. Waited almost 3 months and I don't know what to do at this point. Some may think im crazy for being a bit disappointed by this, but its a pretty expensive truck and i dont feel like settling.

Any thoughts or past experience with anyone dealing with a smiliar issue. Should I request a new bumper? I'd like to stay away from repainting but may have to accept that option. As for the minor detail, there's seems to be somewhat of a liner over spray. I find it Minor as some rubbing and polishing compound should address it.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 PM
WolfFox
Senior User
Sorry to hear that. I had a hairline scratch about a 1/2 long and they ordered me some touch up paint and pen. The scratch wasn't a deal breaker One reason why I wanted the chrome bumpers is because of chipped paint on bumper. I hope your dealer treats you right.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Skipdaddie
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I touch up my '13 black Platinum front bumper every time I detail it. I'd ask to have it professionally touched before I had it repainted.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:04 AM
ssoundwave
Senior User
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Tell them to do what they have to do weather it's a full re painted bumper or replacement, you don't want to see any trace of that mark when they are done with it and that you will go over it to the finest detail before accepting it! You are aloud to be a ******* when spending that kinda money, looks like the same truck as mine and I would have flipped lol, remember you have them by the ***** till it's signed over then you loose that power

Old 12-06-2016, 12:16 AM
HoustonianDale
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I would have that touched up. It will be unnoticeable. If resprayed, the metallic flake may lay different and not match.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Yeah...if it were me, I would have them touch it up...give you a free bottle of the Ruby Red touch up paint. To be honest...with these painted bumpers, it won't take long to get that kind of mark just driving on the highway. I've had mine for a month or so now and already have several tiny chips in my painted Platinum bumper. Also on the edges of the rear bumper. It is unavoidable. Also...I had a bit of liner overspray on mine also. I need to take a little lighter fluid to it. Should come right off and do no harm to your paint. Have them do that there also. I didn't notice mine until my first hand wash...so I still have to remove some. I'm pretty picky..but I've also learned that life is short...and it is JUST a truck. It's gonna get dirty, chipped, spilled in, dog pizzed on, etc. Just have to roll with it sometimes.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On my oxford white I found two paint discoloration as well. Appears to be yellowish drip on the roof under the clear and pooling on the bed of the truck. Since it was the bed I was not bothered as it is covered by bed liner.

Noticed the drip on roof a week after and it's out for ford approval what ever that maybe.

Anyways your buying an expensive vehicle that is brand new and expected to have no flaws. Thus they either fix it physically or do so,thing to make up in my eyes. When you buy used price is dictated by condition and condition is not new when you got it.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:51 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes they should address that. You paid for a new truck.
As far as painted bumpers go, they are very prone to chips. So you will be getting a lot more.
Chrome is far more durable as far a chips go.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:30 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Exactly why I got the chrome packages. Sorry man!

Old 12-06-2016, 07:42 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 136 Posts
If it hadn't been PDI'd yet, chances are, you never would have known had you not dropped by early. These little things happen more than we like to know, and they fix them up to look good as new during the PDI. At least, they are supposed to.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:04 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,656 Likes on 2,737 Posts
I would make them fix it and then also give you a free treatment of ClearBra.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Seagar
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ghernandez612
So, I received word that my truck was shipped out last week. I happend to be near my dealer tonight and thought it would be a smart idea to run by dealer to see if they had received any shipments. Upon driving by there it was. My special ordered ruby red platinum. What a great surprise right? Well unfortunately, upon inspecting it I found one minor and ome major defect (in my opinion). The drivers side of the front bumper has a significant chip. Waited almost 3 months and I don't know what to do at this point. Some may think im crazy for being a bit disappointed by this, but its a pretty expensive truck and i dont feel like settling.

Any thoughts or past experience with anyone dealing with a smiliar issue. Should I request a new bumper? I'd like to stay away from repainting but may have to accept that option. As for the minor detail, there's seems to be somewhat of a liner over spray. I find it Minor as some rubbing and polishing compound should address it.

My 2017 F350 CC King Ranch LWB came with two golf ball sized dents in the rear bumper when it was delivered to the dealer. Not sure if it happened on the rail car or the transport truck to the dealer. Anyway, the Dealer was great about it. It was written on the purchase contract " Promise Sheet" that they owed me a new rear bumper. The new bumper was ordered the same day I picked it up and within one week the new bumper arrived and was put on.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 PM
ghernandez612
New User
Thanks everyone for the feedback. As of now I plan to let the dealer take care of it. Hope they surprise me with having completed a decent repair job.

On a side note, the dealer is not aware that I know about the chip, as I didnt mention it or look for it when I visited my salesman this afternoon. Funny thing is that they put some of the shipping tape in the damaged area along with the other side to make it look like thats was the way it was shipped (essentially attempting to hide it from me). I guess I'll let that slide. As mentioned in a comment, it did arrive late last night so the inspection had not taken place. With that being said I'm ok with letting them have at least one attempt to fix the chip. If it turns out bad, then I do plan to pursue a bumper swap out.

Again thanks for the feedback, can't wait to hopefully bring this baby home thursday!

Shown below is the pic I took today in which you can see the newly added shipping tape.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:58 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Those crafty little devils....now why would they put tape BACK on the truck...LOL. So great that you have a pic without the tape...cards are in your hands. I'm sure it will turn out OK.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Ryan Kovacs
Senior User
Originally Posted by ghernandez612
Thanks everyone for the feedback. As of now I plan to let the dealer take care of it. Hope they surprise me with having completed a decent repair job.

On a side note, the dealer is not aware that I know about the chip, as I didnt mention it or look for it when I visited my salesman this afternoon. Funny thing is that they put some of the shipping tape in the
damaged area along with the other side to make it look like thats was the way it was shipped (essentially attempting to hide it from me). I guess I'll let that slide. As mentioned in a comment, it did arrive late last night so the inspection had not taken place. With that being said I'm ok with letting them have at least one attempt to fix the chip. If it turns out bad, then I do plan to pursue a bumper swap out.

Again thanks for the feedback, can't wait to hopefully bring this baby home thursday!

Shown below is the pic I took today in which you can see the newly added shipping tape.
lol this made my chuckle, but I think you're being proper about it. It's actually good that they noticed it and made the effort to cover it up prior to their fix. And I agree with what someone above said when they said many new vehicles get delivered with minor damages.

Quick Reply: Unpleasant Surprise...Chipped Bumper...Thoughts on corrective action before purchase?