2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why Does Ford Not Put the Expedition Quality Audio System in the 2017 Super Duty

Old 12-05-2016, 02:25 PM
wharrell
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Does Ford Not Put the Expedition Quality Audio System in the 2017 Super Duty

Prior to trading my early 2015 for a 2017, I have had the 2015 in the shop for some repairs and cosmetic body repair.

They put me in a 2016 Expedition and the Audio System continues to be far better than either the 2015 or 2017 Super Duty.

The sound in the Expedition has crystal clear definition of midrange and highs and a well defined tight base all with plenty of power to spare. Obviously the amplifier and the quality of the speakers are far above what continues to be added to the Super Duty line. You can tell the Expedition Sound System is definitely tuned for the vehicle.

Granted, we don't buy our trucks just for the sound system but it disappointing Ford does not put the higher quality audiophile sound system at least in the $70k+ King Ranch and Platinum. By Ford saving several hundred or so on the sound system an owner has to shell out much much more to upgrade to the audiophile quality of sound.

Although my truck is not yet built I have listened to the 2017 System and it does not compare to the Expedition.

It was 2008 when Ford last had an audiophile sound system option in the Superduty on the original navigation system models.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:28 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be offered in high end models for sure. Basic radio is all I've ever had with no complaints, but I ordered a XL. I did get sync 3 though.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:35 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by wharrell
It was 2008 when Ford last had an audiophile sound system option in the Superduty on the original navigation system models.
Ford's 'audiophile' sound systems were OK, but they were audiophile in name only. My old 1996 Ford Explorer Limited with the JBL audio system was better sounding than the current 'Sony' system. Its not a bad system, just nothing great. My biggest complaint is that it soft-clips at higher volumes. If it didn't do that, I'd be perfectly satisfied. A lot of people talk about the price point being high, with most of the money going towards capability. I disagree...regardless of performance or capability, a vehicle at this price point needs a better stereo than a Camry.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:50 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also one thing to consider when Ford does surveys on whats important on heavy duty trucks I bet audio is waaay down the list.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:32 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A lot of the issue is with Ford using Sony. Sony makes ok stuff but they haven't been great in car audio for quite a few years, nice budget stuff but I wouldn't qualify any of their audio things (home and car) as audiophile level equipment.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:09 PM
wharrell
Tuned

Here is the best Sony Audio Ford is placing in the Expedition and Explorer but not the upper Super Duty models

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...-explorer.html

Old 12-10-2016, 11:37 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is the best Sony Audio Ford is placing in the Expedition and Explorer but not the upper Super Duty models

No offense to ford but there is no way 12 speakers and only 100 hours of "fine" tuning is going to be an audiophile system. It will probably be better than a bunch of other ford's and other cheaper cars, but you need some serious processing power behind that and Sony doesn't make great processors. Getting 4 speakers sounding awesome takes a long time, 12 and you need to be a tuning genius and I've only met one who a lot of people feel is the best and he had to design and build his own processor to handle that. Also anytime a max power output is stated and bragged about I generally stop reading. Good speakers need power due to the materials they are made out of, 500w should be rms not max.

But like I said, this would probably be better than a lot on the road right now but for the price increase to get it, not worth it to me. You can have a lot better aftermarket for cheaper.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:05 AM
Locomotivepower
Senior User
Sony

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl
No offense to ford but there is no way 12 speakers and only 100 hours of "fine" tuning is going to be an audiophile system. It will probably be better than a bunch of other ford's and other cheaper cars, but you need some serious processing power behind that and Sony doesn't make great processors. Getting 4 speakers sounding awesome takes a long time, 12 and you need to be a tuning genius and I've only met one who a lot of people feel is the best and he had to design and build his own processor to handle that. Also anytime a max power output is stated and bragged about I generally stop reading. Good speakers need power due to the materials they are made out of, 500w should be rms not max.

But like I said, this would probably be better than a lot on the road right now but for the price increase to get it, not worth it to me. You can have a lot better aftermarket for cheaper.
I agree
i have had all kinds of car audio in my vehicles over the last
35 years. I have had a few "Sony" in my day and preferred to stay away from them.
I was a little upset to see them arrive in my last three trucks.
IMHO the first two kinda left me flat. I believe like there T.V's
Sony is riding on the name.. quality has long left that plant in the last 13 years.
The current truck is good. But not great. Have not had
enough road time alone in it.
But not real happy with it so far.
i will admit I am a huge fan of kenwood execlon series.
In my work car I just installed the
Execlon DDX 9702s only to keep the units as close as possible to my new
truck for ease of use from car to truck.(sounds amazing as always)
I will be changing out the kenwood again! back a full
Garmin backed unit. I HATE the cell backed nav systems. No cell signal no NAV!
Google "again IMHO " is the best nav out there. But only as good as your cell signal.
( DNX 893s ) like Ford it has both available.

i have noticed in the Ford my phone " or google maps " will find the address faster then the stock unit and will be more accurate then the Ford. Sometimes the truck nav can't find the address.
I have tried to switch back and forth because would prefer the truck unit over using data .
but Ford switches only to cell and you have to unplug to get back the the Ford nav and start over as it drops the address.(when I say switching back and forth I mean apple or car play )

if I could change out the Ford unit with the 893s it would be already be done! I don't believe the truck has enough room in the dash for the unit. I know the new units are only an inch or two thick.
I was going to swap the Sony on my last platinum but no room.

http://maestro.idatalink.com/.
Is worth checking out!
we have come a long was with stock units but could a little further! and these guys will get you there!

Old 12-11-2016, 07:45 AM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The short answer is:

Because there isn't a Lincoln version of the Super Duty.

Ford put their money into developing a nice audio system for the Navigator. Then the Expedition inherited it because they're virtually identical vehicles save some cosmetic bits.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Locomotivepower
Senior User
2011 lariat

Originally Posted by Arctic_Wolf
The short answer is:

Ford put their money into developing a nice audio system for the Navigator. Then the Expedition inherited it because they're virtually identical vehicles save some cosmetic bits.
I had the same head unit in my 2011 lariat Superduty
as my friends 2011
navigator.
twins..
he was a little upset at the time.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:53 AM
troverman
Hotshot

This system is standard in the Taurus SHO as well.

For what its worth, I disagree about the tuning hours. Sony has years of experience with audio. Some previously acquired data could be used here, and modern computer and microphone tuning can drastically shorten the process.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:58 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Arctic_Wolf
The short answer is:

Lincoln has moved on from basic Ford audio systems. The THX certified systems sound great. Now they are using Revel. The Lincoln systems have scored well in the car audio reviews. The Fords with the Sony have scored poorly.

Basically, it's not a terrible system...you can enjoy listening to music on it...but it is no high end system.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Locomotivepower
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
Lincoln has moved on from basic Ford audio systems. The THX certified systems sound great. Now they are using Revel. The Lincoln systems have scored well in the car audio reviews. The Fords with the Sony have scored poorly.

Basically, it's not a terrible system...you can enjoy listening to music on it...but it is no high end system.
I had Bose 9 speaker system in one of my Mercedes.
the next new one had Harmon kardon.
my BMW I ran along side the Benzs were alpine.
much preferred alpine and kenwood.
kenwood have great built in features like radar dector
and full factory software capability.

but I will say one thing IMHO
I will Take a new f350 Superduty over any Benz,BMW.
Audi, comfort and reliability. Rock solid pulling power
park anywhere you want. Go down any road.
even if the sound is a little off! 🙃

Old 12-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman

Good to know. thanks

Old 12-11-2016, 08:33 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
When all you guys get to be 60, the factory stereo will be a high end audiophile system

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why Does Ford Not Put the Expedition Quality Audio System in the 2017 Super Duty