intermittent stalling at acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 07:01 PM
jamers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intermittent stalling at acceleration.

2001 f350. 7.3 has 350k on the engine.
last week it cut out and stalled it was about 15 degrees and though.. fuel had jeld... it warmed up.. didnt happen agian. Then two night ago.. happened 4 times in a row then it was fine. yesterday a dozen times at least. It stalls but restarts itself (rollstarting i guess) the water in fuel ,CEL and wait to start lights come on and then go off. We started with fuel filter, have changed the cam position sensor (yes with ford part not part stores) and now have also changed the Injection pressure sensor (also with ford part) while it needed changed as it was leaking oil the truck is Still stalling. My dad is a technician He hooked his computer to the truck.. nothing. He was able to get the truck to recreat the problem with the scanner hooked up. When it stalls if he holds the throttle down the truck stayes at an idle and the CEL, wait to start and water in fuel lights are on. It decelerates and puts along as nice as you please with the fuel peddle to the floor! let off the accelerator, lights go off and it recognises the throttle agian. no codes at all. hes thinking its the pcm telling the icp to shut off fuel. What would cause it to do that?

Last edited by jamers; 12-03-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: wrong part listed
Old 12-03-2016, 07:26 PM
DuncanCloud
Junior User
So i had something similar to this happen to me last winter. The truck would hiccup while accelerating, I would get a check engine light, most of the time it would clear on its own. I found the tin nut was missing on my IPR so it would slide in and out on the shaft freely because the nut was missing. This also caused the wire to chafe and expose some of the bare wire underneath. I replaced the IPR and pigtail but still had the problem. About a month before I had my truck at the Ford dealership and they swapped out the CPS due to it being on recall. I took a chance and bought a new CPS from RiffRaff (even though the CPS I had was new and from the dealership) and my problem went away. I know that you said you bought a new ford cps but for me that turned out to be the solution.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:47 PM
jamers
New User
We actually changed it twice today, once from the oriallys cps to the ford one just incase that was the problem. figured better safe then sorry. we cleaned the conections to the pcm and then took it for a 10 min drive... the stalling did not reoccur. however yesterday we drove about 45 min before the truck stalled. so no clue if we fixed it or its just not happening at the moment.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
Sounds like TPS (throttle position switch) or IVS (idle validation switch) on the go pedal. A spray can of contact cleaner might work, or replacing the switches.

Here's a good read on the subject.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:12 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you checked for DTC's?

I see you state the CEL/SES lamp illuminates. The CPS, IVS, and TP and other sensors may log a soft code with erratic voltage.

Also, I believe, but am not certain, the three items you describe on the same circuit. You may have an issue with a circuit rather than an individual sensor input causing the issue. I'll look it up tomorrow.

Another item that comes to mind would be a Fuel Pressure test both static and under load.

All can be monitored through PID's to see functionality with affordable Android Based Programs and a Bluetooth Adaptor. Or, perhaps you know of a friend who already has a setup you could use?

Old 12-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pirschwagon
Have you checked for DTC's?

I see you state the CEL/SES lamp illuminates. The CPS, IVS, and TP and other sensors may log a soft code with erratic voltage.

Also, I believe, but am not certain, the three items you describe on the same circuit. You may have an issue with a circuit rather than an individual sensor input causing the issue. I'll look it up tomorrow.

Another item that comes to mind would be a Fuel Pressure test both static and under load.

All can be monitored through PID's to see functionality with affordable Android Based Programs and a Bluetooth Adaptor. Or, perhaps you know of a friend who already has a setup you could use?
Just to clarify, all of the above can be monitored through the OBD II port, except, fuel pressure. This will need its own external gauge to monitor it.

Not knocking any of the information relayed, but I just wanted to clarify for anyone scanning through the thread......

Old 12-07-2016, 11:21 AM
redbluffbill
New User
Hi everyone. I may be posting this in the wrong spot, I'm not sure how to find any answers that may reply.
I am not as good at repairs as most of you. I can however do normal maintenance and such. I have a 2002 F-250 7.3 with the adjustable throttle and had dead spots in it about four years ago. I bought a used one from the junk yard for $350 as you may know these cost between $600-$800 depending on where you but it.

Anyway that has worked well until now as I am getting that surging when I hold it around 35-45 mph.

So my question is has anyone found a way to replace this with the non adjustable throttle or at least come up with a more reasonable price to fix this?
I am assuming that buying another from the junk yard doesn't make sense now as these trucks will have a lot of miles on that part now.
Thank you

Old 12-07-2016, 03:13 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
You can still find "low mileage" vehicles at the salvage yards, but it is getting harder to do so as you mentioned.

I've never seen anyone refer to downgrading from adjustable to fixed on the pedal assembly, but I expect it can be done easily enough with some minor re-wiring activity.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:43 PM
jamers
New User
gah!!!

somewhat of an Update.... Still not fixed, We hooked the computer up to the aps (acceleration position switch) When the truck stalls their was a jump in voltage (have my dad whos a qualified tech setting it up and everything so sorry if im off a little off but I have the just or it ) so .... shelled out the $240 for the OEM replacment pick it up when it came in yesterday and we are then told it needs a bracket to make it work.. they made it a universal part grrr order it and shell out another $60 for the bracket... the truck is still stalling. we are now testing the grounds to the pcm... when the struck stalls their is a large voltage jump... on the ground. we are testing other lines now and seeing what the alternator is doing as well. I will update with what we find...

Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wrong thread