2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Upfitter Switch power wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:56 PM
NAVYSTANG64
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upfitter Switch power wires

I am installing a light bar, but can't find the upfitter power wire that correlates to Aux Switch X. I have the bundle of wires that are stubbed under the Passenger side area to right by the door, but none of those match the color coding. I cut one (brown) and checked to see if it has power when I push the start button.... it had a continuous 3.4V and didn't matter what Upfitter switch I hit. What am I missing? There is another set of stubbed end wires, but there are only four and don't come even close to the color scheme. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:03 PM
archerseven
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NAVYSTANG64
I am installing a light bar, but can't find the upfitter power wire that correlates to Aux Switch X. I have the bundle of wires that are stubbed under the Passenger side area to right by the door, but none of those match the color coding. I cut one (brown) and checked to see if it has power when I push the start button.... it had a continuous 3.4V and didn't matter what Upfitter switch I hit. What am I missing? There is another set of snubbed end wires, but there are only four and don't come even close to the color scheme. Thanks.
The wires are on the driver's side under the hood, near a small fuse/relay box dedicated to the upfitter switches and other upfitter functions.

Attachment 288441

Old 12-02-2016, 02:06 PM
NAVYSTANG64
New User
Yep, I got that... where are they stubbed at so I can run my power from my lights to it?

Thanks!!

Old 12-02-2016, 02:25 PM
archerseven
Senior User
Yep, I got that... where are they stubbed at so I can run my power from my lights to it?

Thanks!!

They're stubbed there, either that or I don't understand your question.

There's no in-cab blunt cut, like I guess they used to have.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:37 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
they are taped to the harness you'll have to cut the tape to get the ends free. The lower rt part of the picture where the wires disappear is the tape.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:39 PM
NAVYSTANG64
New User
Adding a couple of pictures-- Where your picture is at, those wires come out of the fuse box for the Upfitter Switches, the manual says those run into the passenger side of the cab. Which, as you and I know may not be the case. Also, those don't appear to stub right there (thought they might and I am going to go look again). archerseven you are helping and I truly appreciate it.
Manual that states they are stubbed here under the passenger side

the only stubbed wires I have on that side.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:45 PM
NAVYSTANG64
New User
wb6anp thanks. Going now!!

Old 12-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Mooser1234
Junior User
Talking

I am installing a light bar, but can't find the upfitter power wire that correlates to Aux Switch X. I have the bundle of wires that are stubbed under the Passenger side area to right by the door, but none of those match the color coding. I cut one (brown) and checked to see if it has power when I push the start button.... it had a continuous 3.4V and didn't matter what Upfitter switch I hit. What am I missing? There is another set of stubbed end wires, but there are only four and don't come even close to the color scheme. Thanks.

Please post a picture of your light bar when it is all done, and as much info on how you wired it in

Can't wait to see!

Old 12-02-2016, 03:05 PM
NAVYSTANG64
New User
That was it..thanks guys.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:07 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ill tell you this, didnt seem like a whole lot of free wire when i did my wiring. Even totally cut free i felt nervous about cutting the blunt tip off and stripping.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:09 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah they could have made them a little longer.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:12 PM
nullop
Senior User
Agree. I ran one for the relay to disable my reverse alarm, not a ton of room.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:21 AM
pphan13
Junior User
As I recall, I think there should be 2 sets of stubbed wires inside the cab? It's been a while since I hooked my lights up to my '13. The one you have pictured there goes out through the fire wall, should be a second set that goes to the upfitter switch. I think they do that in case you want to hook things up that are inside the cab as well and not just outside attachments.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:25 AM
nullop
Senior User
Originally Posted by pphan13
As I recall, I think there should be 2 sets of stubbed wires inside the cab? It's been a while since I hooked my lights up to my '13. The one you have pictured there goes out through the fire wall, should be a second set that goes to the upfitter switch. I think they do that in case you want to hook things up that are inside the cab as well and not just outside attachments.
That's correct, from the manual:

"Each switch includes a blunt-cut, sealed wire. The wires are under the instrument panel on the right-hand side of the passenger footwell"

I believe if you sit in passenger seat, reach down, there's a hole in the plastic to the right and you can feel the wire bundle there. I haven't dug in personally to verify that those are what I think they are.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:15 AM
archerseven
Senior User
Originally Posted by nullop
That's correct, from the manual:

"Each switch includes a blunt-cut, sealed wire. The wires are under the instrument panel on the right-hand side of the passenger footwell"

I believe if you sit in passenger seat, reach down, there's a hole in the plastic to the right and you can feel the wire bundle there. I haven't dug in personally to verify that those are what I think they are.
That seems to be where they used to be, the switches don't end there anymore. The PTO interface wires and a few others for things like SEIC (Stationary Elevated Idle Control) are still down there, as well as a 5 amp hot-in-run-or-start wire. On the truck bbas there was a document that showed the blunt-cuts for the switches being only under the hood, but I didn't find it in my quick search yesterday.

My 6.2 with a single battery has _TONS_ of space to play with by the upfitter relay module, and the wires are short but not bad, the bundle under the passenger seat is shorter and makes me a bit nervous stripping them. So far I'm using 2 switches and the run-hot wire in the passenger kick panel.

Quick Reply: Upfitter Switch power wires